Perseverance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/

I'm really looking forward to the Perseverance rover landing in a couple of days now. 

It's going to be absolutely phenomenal to watch live .  

Fingers crossed for the sky crane technique  It was stunning that it worked first time last time with the curiosity landing.  After traveling all that way being able to parachute in at hypersonic speeds , slowing down enough to dump the covers and shields .  Fire off rockets and hover long enough above the surface to deploy the lander on a crane, detaching from that and then flying off to ditch , leaving the lander to get to work.  

It's amazing  

It would be great if this one can definitely anwser the question fairly quickly that life was or still is present there.  I'm thinking some form of extremophiles presently and evidence of relatively recent life .

CT

Post edited at 14:04
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

Should be a good one. Remember it'll be a while after the landing that they release the stitched together footage, but at least we'll eventually see it this time! Can't believe they didn't have cameras rolling on Curiosity.

It's guaranteed to be more inspiring than when the UK effort, The Beagle cratered at 20,000 km/h

Plucky. But ultimately foolhardy. No one mention Brexit please.

"You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!"

Blue Straggler 17 Feb 2021
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> It's guaranteed to be more inspiring than when the UK effort, The Beagle cratered at 20,000 km/h

Ah yes, to be filed alongside Amstrad and British Leyland, that one  

https://64.media.tumblr.com/4b1fdd927e31e526766dadba5077e935/tumblr_oszag0k...

Post edited at 13:43

> the UK effort, The Beagle cratered at 20,000 km/h

Beagle didn't crater at all. It has been photographed, and appears to have landed safely, but it failed to deploy its 'petal' solar panels, one of which was its antenna. Thus it was unable to communicate.

You may be getting confused with NASA's $125M Mars Climate Orbiter, which, contrary to its name, didn't enter orbit at all, due to an error in the use of imperial and metric units.

Post edited at 13:43
 artif 17 Feb 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The UK/EU space industry has far more respect than NASA with those that actually know, unfortunately, its also very understated.

Beagle budget @£50million

Perseverance budget @ $2.75Billion

Post edited at 13:53
In reply to captain paranoia:

That's Beagle II

Having just done a search, there doesn't seem to be a Beagle I. Am I missing something?

Wainers44 17 Feb 2021

> It's guaranteed to be more inspiring than when the UK effort, The Beagle cratered at 20,000 km/h

> Plucky. But ultimately foolhardy. No one mention Brexit please.

> "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!"

Hopefully the UK manufactured parachute works. Made at the Heathcote Factory down here in darkest Devon. They also make net curtains.  Hope they sent the right order...

artif 17 Feb 2021

> That's Beagle II

> Having just done a search, there doesn't seem to be a Beagle I. Am I missing something?

Try adding Charles Darwin in your search

> Am I missing something?

Yes. You're missing the fact that Beagle 2 was named after HMS Beagle, which, pioneering as it was, never got to Mars, never mind cratering at 20,000 km/h...

Post edited at 13:58
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yes, I seem to have accidentally propagated some misinformation above re: Beagle.

My apologies 😔

Flinticus 18 Feb 2021

That's not how you respond anymore. Get with the times. You decry the truth as fake news and a deep state conspiracy and double down on your version.

It's all so exciting.  

8:45 UK time Perseverance enters the Martian atmosphere.  

Then seven and a half minutes of terror to reach the surface . 

This feels epic.

CT

Fu@k yeah !!!

Nail biting that was. 

ThunderCat 18 Feb 2021

> Fu@k yeah !!!

> Nail biting that was. 

Christ, I can't believe how involved I got in all that. Massive smile on my face! 

Blue Straggler 18 Feb 2021

I clicked the YouTube link and got it on screen about 4 seconds after confirmation of safe landing  

Blue Straggler 18 Feb 2021
In reply to artif:

> The UK/EU space industry has far more respect than NASA with those that actually know

Well thanks for that. David Southwood was my head of department when I was an undergrad. Actually. 

kipper12 18 Feb 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Brilliant, mind boggling how fast it was travelling and it slowed down to a gentle float 

In reply to ThunderCat:

> Christ, I can't believe how involved I got in all that. Massive smile on my face! 

I know what you mean. 

😀

bouldery bits 18 Feb 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Christ, I can't believe how involved I got in all that. Massive smile on my face! 

Same! That was class. 

The bowl of peanuts helped.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/10022/what-are-nasas... 

Dax H 18 Feb 2021

Feel free to criticise when you have shot something off in to space and hit a target that was somewhere between 55 and 205 million kilometers away.

Personally I struggle to hit a specific number on a dart board from 2.37 meters away. 

ThunderCat 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Dax H:

> Feel free to criticise when you have shot something off in to space and hit a target that was somewhere between 55 and 205 million kilometers away.

> Personally I struggle to hit a specific number on a dart board from 2.37 meters away. 

It's hardly rocket science mate 😂

Seriously though, my brain switches off if I even try and think of the mathematics involved in plotting the flight path from one moving heavenly body to another.  There. I mentally drew two circles on a black board with a little rocket and a dotted line flying around them. That's the best I could do. 

Wainers44 18 Feb 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

Knew the Devon parachute would come through ok!

bouldery bits 18 Feb 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

> Knew the Devon parachute would come through ok!

Indeed! Born in Tiverton and got a few friends who have or do work at Heathcoats. They'll all be chuffed. It's so odd popping in the factory shop there - waxed Gingham offcuts for sale next to the firesuit material.

Post edited at 22:19

Yes, it was totally rivetting. I tuned in to the NASA site about ½ hour before they landed.

Wainers44 18 Feb 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

I played all my colts cricket for Thorverton and we played against Heathcoats about 4 times each season! Seems an unlikely company in an unlikely place to be part of a NASA Mars mission,  but well done to them!

freeflyer 18 Feb 2021

Apparently it does tweets:

https://twitter.com/nasapersevere/status/1362507436611956736

Please help me - I am torn between the need to resurrect my twitter account which I deleted in 2007, and the need to stand on a pedestal and shout to the world that twitter should be reserved for the devil's work

Also I am deeply suspicious that it is in fact tweeting from a hangar full of red sand in Texas.

In reply to freeflyer:

> Apparently it does tweets:

> Please help me - I am torn between the need to resurrect my twitter account which I deleted in 2007, and the need to stand on a pedestal and shout to the world that twitter should be reserved for the devil's work

> Also I am deeply suspicious that it is in fact tweeting from a hangar full of red sand in Texas.

Really.  ???

Duncan Bourne 19 Feb 2021

Brilliant!

Will it now have to quarentine in a hotel for ten days?

freeflyer 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Chive Talkin':]

> Really.  ???

Well that depends. Perseverance really does tweets. I really deleted my twitter account, don't get me started.

Not really about the hangar; search for Capricorn One to see the (no doubt obscure) film reference. It's fun to pretend though, and the basis for a lot of fake news.

I'm only paranoid if they're not really out there

ff

edit: wrong b film title.

Post edited at 12:42
 freeflyer 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Very good

Pedro50 19 Feb 2021
In reply to freeflyer:

> Not really about the hangar; search for California One to see the (no doubt obscure) film reference. It's fun to pretend though, and the basis for a lot of fake news.

Capricorn One good film with a classic cast.

Blue Straggler 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

> Capricorn One good film with a classic cast.

Always fun to watch OJ Simpson being chased by "the authorities" 

https://www.space.com/perseverance-rover-mars-landing-video-reveal-webcast

"The first-ever rover landing video from Mars is about to come to Earth, and you can watch its release live today, courtesy of NASA. 

At 2 p.m. EST (1900 GMT), NASA will unveil video of the Perseverance rover as it landed on Mars as seen from the rover itself. You can watch the event live here and on Space.com's homepage courtesy of NASA TV. Perseverance landed on Mars on Thursday (Feb. 18) to begin its search for signs of ancient life on Mars, collect samples and study the Red Planet like never before."

Can't wait to see this later .

CT

> "The first-ever rover landing video from Mars is about to come to Earth, and you can watch its release live today, courtesy of NASA. 

> At 2 p.m. EST (1900 GMT), NASA will unveil video of the Perseverance rover as it landed on Mars as seen from the rover itself. You can watch the event live here and on Space.com's homepage courtesy of NASA TV. Perseverance landed on Mars on Thursday (Feb. 18) to begin its search for signs of ancient life on Mars, collect samples and study the Red Planet like never before."

> Can't wait to see this later .

> CT

Bloody hell that was brilliant.

agreed

BBC have the landing video in a nice, succinct form:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56159376

Fat Bumbly2 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Dax H:Beagle did not crater. Just could not power up and call home.

aln 23 Feb 2021

I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologise if this has been posted already. Apparently there's a coded message on the parachute https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/feb/23/dare-mighty-things-hidden-m...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...