Peripheral Neuropathy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 18 Dec 2018

Do you have peripheral neuropathy?  Have you managed to find out the underlying cause?  Have you tried managing your diet, and if so with what effect?  Do you hate being asked questions about it?

Cheers.

Deadeye 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Assume you've been checked for T2 diabetes?

Andy Gamisou 23 Dec 2018

A one time only bump.

l21bjd 23 Dec 2018

I have something along those lines. Not really sure what. Used to see a neuro consultant yearly, and eventually got sent to Queen's Sq. They basically shrugged their shoulders - afterwards my local consultant said "I bet they're not saying that in 10 years", but that was 14 years ago! So still no clue about the cause.

I have found no way to manage it other than avoiding some activities. The most annoying part was giving up cycling - after a couple of minutes both feet are numb from the big toe joint forwards - only temporary but it was suggested that repeated episodes would lead to progression. Last time I tried a rowing machine my fingers went numb too. I've a bad feeling that wintery/alpine cramponing stuff has started setting it off.

Sorry, not a helpful reply! But may be it can act as a bump in case anyone else has any ideas...

Jon.

Post edited at 07:18
Andy Gamisou 23 Dec 2018
In reply to l21bjd:

Thanks for that.  I guess you not having one of the more unpleasant causes diagnosed is something. Seem to be going along a similar path with no diagnosed cause as yet.

l21bjd 23 Dec 2018

Hi. Yes, for me it's just vaguely annoying,  but nothing more. I hope it's no more than that for you.

I don't know why I didn't mention this earlier, and whether its applicable for you, but being careful with choosing footwear and lacing boots in the right way makes a big difference. Several years ago, both (fore) feet were totally numb for a few months after I climbed (well walked up) Kilimanjaro,  but that sort of timescale has not occured since. (Climbing during that time was interesting with no feedback). Very rarely, I'll get somewhat unpleasant nerve pain in one of my toes.  If I don't lace up my boots carefully, my feet would otherwise definitely be affected every time when walking, but it barely ever happens. Except with crampons on my Nepal cubes, but I'm hopeful that with a bit of thought I might be able to solve that. I've never found a solution for cycling, though.

Andy Gamisou 23 Dec 2018
In reply to l21bjd:

> Hi. Yes, for me it's just vaguely annoying,  but nothing more. I hope it's no more than that for you.

A bit more I'm afraid.  Random nerve pain that varies between a bit painful to agonising.  At it's worst can't really walk (not been like that for a few months thank God).  Not so bad at the moment, but I'm needing a walking stick to get around much of the time.  Oh well, such is life.

Belle74 23 Dec 2018

I had an appointment at a balance clinic this week, they discovered I have some neurological issues. The audiologist couldn't go in to much detail and I've been referred to neoro department.

After reading what you guys have had to deal with, I can now say as well as my balance going all screwy, painful or sensitive scalp or face, I do get numbness in my big toes after a long descent. I hope you guys get things sorted. I'll keep you posted about what neurology say.

Andy Gamisou 24 Dec 2018
In reply to Belle74:

Good luck with the neurologist.  Trying to get a consultation lined up too in the new year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...