People Who Change Your Preconceptions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krikoman 30 Aug 2018

Having just caught a little bit of Grayson Perry's TV program, I have to admit to a liking for his thoughts, presentation and have enjoyed many of his TV series.

I'd seen him previously on HIGNFY and found him quite funny, but the outlandish dresses and make-up put me off a bit. His motorbike and teddy bear, only adding to the WTF is this bloke on, arty farty bollocks, I suspected him of purveying. I was wrong.

His All Man series was great, and really got to the crux of what makes people tick. "Who Are You?" was equally good.

It's nice to have your preconceptions challenged every now and again.

Anyone else worthy of mention?

nufkin 31 Aug 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Alex Jones?

mountainbagger 31 Aug 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Ben Fogle

Peter Andre

Keanu Reeves

Claire Balding

pec 31 Aug 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Frank Field

> It's nice to have your preconceptions challenged every now and again. >

Offwidth 31 Aug 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Grayson is halfway to national treasure already. There is a brexit documentary he did in the Divided Britain series which would get him a job in concillation. Some of his outstanding TV work

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_In_The_Best_Possible_Taste_with_Grayson...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayson_Perry:_All_Man

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/grayson-perry-divided-britain

Hat Dude 31 Aug 2018
In reply to nufkin:

> Alex Jones?

I thought she'd be rubbish when she replaced Christine Bleakley, but The One Show has been jolly good since it happened.

OP krikoman 03 Sep 2018
In reply to pec:

> Frank Field

Ha ha yes, we thought he was a good Labour supporter, until we found out he was an admirer and friend of Thatcher.

Maybe it was his idea to steal the milk off the kids, who knows?

OP krikoman 03 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Some good suggestions there.

Anna Soubry, talks a lot of sense.

I was trying to steer away from politics, but too late for that.

deepsoup 03 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

I nominate Ariana Grande.

I'd barely heard of her prior to her gig at Manchester Arena last year but had her pegged as a vacuous teeny-bop pop princess, just another pouting self-absorbed little Bieber.  Couldn't help noticing though, in the aftermath of the bombing there, that she's an extraordinarily courageous and compassionate young woman.  Admirable.

OP krikoman 04 Sep 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

Good shout.

Timmd 05 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman: Being a fan of dub reggae, meeting a friend of my Dad's new partner (who is a conservative voter), who, also being a conservative and striking me as being rather circumspect (nothing to do with her politics - she looked at me sideways), suddenly started talking about the dub reggae she liked, and saying that she'd not met anybody else who liked it. 

Coming from a liberal family, and as a consequence only happening to move in liberal circles, and in Sheffield it seeming to be dreadlocked hippy types (to use a stereotype) who like the music, it was a surprise to meet 'a middle Englander' (to use another stereotype) who also liked it.

Music crosses all boundaries - and that makes it cool.

Post edited at 15:23
OP krikoman 05 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

In a bad way (sorry to bring the thread down)

Aung San Suu Ky -  destroyed my faith in all sorts of things

Post edited at 16:32
 steveriley 05 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Jeremy Clarkson did a documentary on Brunel where he was interesting, understated and engaging. Annoying

Tom Valentine 05 Sep 2018
In reply to steveriley:

He also did a moving piece about a VC recipient who turned out to be his father in law or similar.

Doesn't stop him from being a tw*t, though.

Timmd 05 Sep 2018
In reply to Tom Valentine: He's a funny one, he can make me laugh, and I've respected him for some of the programmes he's made, but I think I'd probably want to leave his company after not very long if I met him. 

Post edited at 21:03
 balmybaldwin 05 Sep 2018
In reply to nufkin:

> Alex Jones?

The Welsh one or the Racist Hate preacher?

balmybaldwin 05 Sep 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

Agree, not only that but did you hear her sing at Aretha's funeral to my untrained ear it was very good rendition

balmybaldwin 05 Sep 2018
In reply to steveriley:

If you thought that was good, this is superb: youtube.com/watch?v=nXusKM5uX0s&

Sorry!

deepsoup 06 Sep 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I didn't, but I might have a look for it on youtube later.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...