Pen y Gwyrd

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Evening all, 

I was looking at booking a few nights for my partner (romantic as opposed to climbing - sorry old chap) at the Pen Y Gwryd this October/November.

Obviously the place has an incredible history and is a key piece of British mountaineering history but I was wondering what it was like quality wise. 

I'd be looking at getting a room with a private bath, so that excludes the whole sharing element of reviews. 

I've read very mixed reviews online, including a few old ones on here, but it seems frightfully unfair to judge a place on reviews over a few years old.

So, to get to the point, I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences of staying there? 

Andy 1902 07 Oct 2019
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

Very dated... One for the 'collective' ambience rather than a romantic night.

In reply to Andy 1902:

Ah really? I don't mind dated in terms of decor, ambience or attitude but old reviews I read suggest that unfortunately this might extend to the linen and the like (to put it delicately). Shame for such a wonderful institution. 

Greenbanks 07 Oct 2019

Travelodge in Bangor??

In reply to Greenbanks:

Ha brilliant, it is a particularly fine Travellodge. My favourite review, on Googling, contains the gem of a line 'The amenities of this hotel are best listed as - pillows. Everything else, you must bring'

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186430-d226405-r693397636-Tr...

pasbury 07 Oct 2019

I stayed there last about four years ago, I’m a long term fan of the place and worried that after the handover to the next generation of Pullees, the place might lose some of it’s character. it hasn’t.

It is what it is, an old fashioned hotel with a distinct style of hospitality suited to people doing the Snowdon horseshoe in the rain, or doing Avalanche Route after a large breakfast.

In reply to pasbury:

Well I must say that sounds absolutely perfect. If that's the sort of atmosphere then I'm almost sold . Thank you for the input. 

Mick Ward 07 Oct 2019

There's a book, 'Tales from the Smoke Room', with some lovely essays about the place, from all sorts of people (such as Joe Brown). Well worth perusing.

Mick

In reply to Mick Ward:

Cheers Mick, thank you. I will look into it. 

Tony Jones 08 Oct 2019

It's worth a night's stay for the atmosphere and the access to the resident's bar. The dreary set menu and the eagerness of the housekeeping staff to access your room at breakfast time might get irksome if you're staying for several days however. Black Boy in Caernafon is my favourite hotel/boozer in Gwynedd. (And there's a Premier Inn just down the road if you like purple decor and they have no rooms...)

Post edited at 03:33
 james mann 08 Oct 2019

Stayed once for a few nights with Dad. Was brilliant and full of atmosphere. 

James

Rigid Raider 08 Oct 2019

Stay there if you buy into the atmosphere, in which case you'll love it.

Don't stay in any British independent hotel or B&B if you want fresh, modern or well-maintained.

Andy 1902 08 Oct 2019

I didn't notice linen and the like - but I have fairly low standards! Certainly don't expect slipping into crisp ironed sheets smelling of roses though.

profitofdoom 08 Oct 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> It is what it is, an old fashioned hotel with a distinct style of hospitality......

Absolutely right. I haven't stayed there for a while but the location and history make the place a must for me 

In reply to Andy 1902:

Cheers for the replies one and all. Much appreciated.

I'll have a think about it but, from the responses, I'm mighty tempted to go for it. 

pasbury 08 Oct 2019

If you choose a Premier Inn over the P-Y-G then you belong on the naughty step.

brianjcooper 08 Oct 2019

Maybe not as romantic as an hotel, but Plas Y Brenin B&B in exclusive rooms is excellent. Evening meals available too. Perfectly situated for crags, mountains etc.

Oh! and 2 minutes from room to the bar which has wonderful views. 

In reply to brianjcooper:

Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated 

dilatory 09 Oct 2019

Failing that a cosy self-catering cottage in Beddgelert probably not much difference in price. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...