Peanut butter and...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mountainbagger 08 Jan 2021

So, a while back I posted about what to have with peanut butter.

I am a massive fan of (very) strong cheddar and pickle (or honey...yes it works with some types of cheddar!) but I wanted an alternative snack using PB. Now, pickle doesn't work too well for me with PB. The best so far has been olives, which works with both.

The obvious suggestion for PB was jam but I've always found that too sickly sweet.

Anyway, the thread gave me some other things to try and, after months of research (what a chore!), I think I have found an excellent accompaniment for PB... almost by accident, but it seems obvious now...

I bought some things for Christmas from a shop called The Cherry Tree (not cheap but my brother insisted on their Kashmiri chutney as a present). To make the order enough for free delivery I chucked in some chilli jam.

Wow! Taste bud party. So, there it is. Chilli jam and PB is a triumph.

I would have posted in "the pub" but I didn't want this knowledge to be lost after 2 weeks (or whatever the time limit is)

Try it PB fans and let me know!

nathan79 08 Jan 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

As far as my taste buds are concerned, peanut butter goes with absolutely anything.

I’ll try that mmmm 😋 

I love PB on toast with melted cheese. PB and jam. PB on toast with tomatoes. And was given a jar of PB with Marmite at Christmas which is surprisingly OK. 

Rat.

Jenny C 08 Jan 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Rat.

I'm pretty sure that even rat would taste worse after the addition of peanut butter.

aln 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

> I'm pretty sure that even rat would taste worse after the addition of peanut butter.

But it might improve the peanut butter. 

angry pirate 09 Jan 2021

Having put some extensive research into this: + lemon curd.

The peanut butter takes the tartness out of the lemon curd which in turn takes the dryness out of the peanut butter.

In wraps it's my winter climbing lunch of choice.

Removed User 09 Jan 2021

...pizza, literally sandwiched between 2 slices. Don't laugh till you've been very cold, wet & tired. Emergency use only of course, it's a cardiac arrest waiting to happen otherwise.

Removed User 09 Jan 2021
In reply to angry pirate:

> Having put some extensive research into this: + lemon curd.

> The peanut butter takes the tartness out of the lemon curd which in turn takes the dryness out of the peanut butter.

Were there a Nobel for food, that might be a contender. Takes the evil out of both and makes something better than the sum of the parts.

Chunky, of course?

profitofdoom 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

> Chunky, of course?

Blasphemy!!

SMOOTH. Thanks to all and 'happy noo year 

Run_Ross_Run 09 Jan 2021

Chips!

Peanut butter chip butty is the dogs. 👍 

Removed User 09 Jan 2021
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Blasphemy!!

> SMOOTH. Thanks to all and 'happy noo year 

Blasphemy of course, along with the rum and sodomy. Smooth is from the bowels of Beelzebup himself.

Alyson 09 Jan 2021

I have recently discovered Manilife Dark Roast peanut butter and it is a while new level of nirvana. I didn't know it was possible to improve on peanut butter, but it seems I was wrong!

Anyway, my go-to combo is pb, marmite and cheese, but I'm going to give an honorable mention to pb, crispy smoked bacon and cheese. Yum!

monkey man 09 Jan 2021

PB and banana 

Gone for good 09 Jan 2021

Peanut butter and Marmite! On toast, on bread, on oatcakes, on Ryvita, in a Pitta, on a Tortilla. Lovely, savoury munchiness!

whitlew 09 Jan 2021

Try it with whole grain mustard.

angry pirate 09 Jan 2021

Yep, it has to be crunchy.

I'm pretty sure the Geneva convention has some strong words to say about smooth.

kevin stephens 09 Jan 2021

and lettuce - surprisingly good

matt3210 09 Jan 2021

Parsnips, both are foul.

Removed User 09 Jan 2021

Saddam Hussein liked smooth.

wbo2 09 Jan 2021
In reply to mountainbagger: I'd go for banana + crunchy PB as well.  Covers all essesntials

Rog Wilko 09 Jan 2021

Acacia honey. Oh, and must be non-homogenised peanut bitter.

angry pirate 09 Jan 2021

Though I'm not sure they ever found any.

mrmann007 09 Jan 2021

Sliced apple and peanut is one of my go to snacks.

somebody already mentioned the marmite peanut butter and that is really incredible on toast. I was a firm believer in that peanut butter had to be smooth, but that stuff has converted me to the crunchy side.

In reply to the thread:

I've tried, and liked, PB with banana or apple. I think I prefer apple as the banana can be too sweet.

I have marmite, so will try that. Not sure about lettuce, but next time I have some in, will try. Whole grain mustard, can also try. Lemon curd... interesting but I don't usually have any in the house...will it be worth buying some just for the experiment? I say yes!

In reply to Alyson:

> I have recently discovered Manilife Dark Roast peanut butter and it is a while new level of nirvana. I didn't know it was possible to improve on peanut butter, but it seems I was wrong!

> Anyway, my go-to combo is pb, marmite and cheese, but I'm going to give an honorable mention to pb, crispy smoked bacon and cheese. Yum!

Coronary combo!

I started the old thread because I was trying to find an alternative to eating cheese all the time. I love cheese and would put it with almost anything

But this dark roast PB sounds intriguing, will look it up, thanks!

Enty 09 Jan 2021

Just had a peanut butter, strawberry jam and banana tortilla wrap. My go-to snack 1h before the club training ride.

E

Matt Podd 09 Jan 2021

Marmite!

Dark chocolate dipped in PB.

Gone for good 09 Jan 2021
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Dark chocolate dipped in PB.

Celery and crunchy peanut butter is a great snack as well. The groove on the celery is the perfect receptacle for a generous spead of PB.

upordown 09 Jan 2021

I'd agree with not putting things that are too sweet with PB. My favourite is PB, ginger marmalade, strong cheddar and marmite. This is obviously after years of research

Tringa 09 Jan 2021
In reply to upordown:

Some interesting combinations here. Particularly like the idea of PB and Chilli jam.

Only thing I'll add is the peanut butter has to be Meridian Peanut butter. It is not cheap but is made with only peanuts  - no oils and is, IMO, in a league of its own.

Dave

In reply to upordown:

> I'd agree with not putting things that are too sweet with PB. My favourite is PB, ginger marmalade, strong cheddar and marmite. This is obviously after years of research

I'm almost positive I would love that. Ginger marmalade? Will need to find some for testing.

However, strong cheddar is banned from the current experiment as the whole point of the research was to find something delicious without strong cheddar in it (I have an unhealthy addiction)

The latest taste test (just now) was to add marmite to PB and chilli jam. Definitely a winner!

The New NickB 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Tringa:

> Only thing I'll add is the peanut butter has to be Meridian Peanut butter. It is not cheap but is made with only peanuts  - no oils and is, IMO, in a league of its own.

My local Tesco Express, which is where I tend to buy my peanut butter, has a choice of three. Sunpat, Tesco's own and Meridian. Meridian is actually the cheapest of the three.

Sealwife 09 Jan 2021

PB and lime marmalade.  Works in a similar way to the lemon curd combo mentioned above.

nufkin 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Tringa:

>  has to be Meridian Peanut butter. It is not cheap but is made with only peanuts  - no oils and is, IMO, in a league of its own.

Also doesn't have salt, though, and is markedly improved by adding a little

earlsdonwhu 09 Jan 2021

Mature cheddar. No disputes!

yorkshireman 09 Jan 2021

All these people complaining the combinations are too sweet - are you buying the stuff from shops? PB with (way too much) added sugar is too sweet on its own, never mind with anything else.

We buy a couple of KGs of peanuts every month, chuck them in the blender with a little bit of salt and blitz for a good 7-8 minutes (until the oils start to come out - it goes really dry at first) and make a jar full every week. Then chuck in some more peanuts to give a crunchy texture - amazing.

I normally chuck it in a tortilla wrap with mashed up banana for a quick trail snack when I'm out for a run. Mix it into porridge (made with spelt milk and some grated apple and there's no need for any sweetner) or literally stand at the breakfast bar eating it out of the jar

In reply to Tringa:

I was all about Meridian, and then I tried Pip and Nut... They don't seem to use the skins so it's way less bitter, much more rounded flavour. 

In reply to Matt Podd:

Yes!

ATL 09 Jan 2021

It has to be... peanut butter, marmite & cucumber sandwiches...  All the better for being squashed in the bottom of a sack for a while at the crag before eating. Amazing - tastes nothing like any one of the ingredients.

Flinticus 09 Jan 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

Morrison's do their own 100% peanuts smooth and crunchy PB.

Great.

AllanMac 10 Jan 2021

With hot horseradish sauce in equal quantities, on oat biscuits. PB with added noseburn!

jdh90 11 Jan 2021

Our household's favourite use of peanut butter is a dish created by guessing at what might be in Satay without consulting any authentic recipes. Whether it's close to the mark or not, its tasty!

Marinate thin strips of meat in soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chilli, grated onion, five spice and a touch of mustard, honey, sesame oil and fish sauce.

Grill the meat on skewers.  Meanwhile, cook off the marinade on a low heat until onion fragments are translucent.  Lob in a generous dose of peanut butter.  Loosen it up with a splash of boiled water if it gets too thick.  Serve the meat with sauce on noodles or rice with stir fried or steamed veggies.

dread-i 11 Jan 2021
In reply to ATL:

>peanut butter, marmite & cucumber sandwiches..

Cucumber is Satan's todger. It contaminates everything it touches.

OP: Don't limit yourself to PB. I've been enjoying cashew butter and marmite. You'll need to add another column and redo you taste combo spreadsheet.

lithos 11 Jan 2021

lime pickle - get in !

Toerag 11 Jan 2021

You've missed the classic - peanut butter and nutella. Or as described on here once 'snickers sandwich'.

ian caton 12 Jan 2021

I don't cut my pb with anything. Just straight on its own. 

lorentz 12 Jan 2021
In reply to ian caton:

Agreed. Tastes best straight from the teaspoon. 😋 Pure fuel. 

Iamgregp 12 Jan 2021
In reply to lorentz:

Absolutely, the best thing to have with peanut butter is more peanut butter

Dave Garnett 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Absolutely, the best thing to have with peanut butter is more peanut butter

Well, it works well on hot buttered toast because of the differential in the melting points - gives the perfect mouth experience.  Depending on the temperature of the toast and the salt content of the butter, obviously.

SDM 12 Jan 2021

On a similar vein to lemon curd:

Cranberry sauce. Adds some sweetness but with a bit of tartness to prevent it from being overpoweringly sweet like jam.

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 12 Jan 2021
In reply to lorentz:

you meant to write tablespoon, right?

Mike-W-99 12 Jan 2021

Just noticed this but have to add to the marmite & cheese side

On top of a buttery (with extra butter)

Post edited at 23:25
 Mike-W-99 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

Its like crack..

lorentz 13 Jan 2021
In reply to robertmichaellovell:

Teaspoon.

"Half the calories. And as it's half the calories  I can have twice as much!"

In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Just noticed this but have to add to the marmite & cheese side

> ...

> On top of a buttery (with extra butter)

I can tell what's most important to you, as you didn't bother to finish the sentence saying what the butter, extra butter, PB, marmite and cheese was on top of

barbeg 13 Jan 2021

Bacon sarnie with PB.... crunchy of course.....

Just the best.....

Barbeg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...