Paying for covid vaccines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jenny C 23 Sep 2022

Two years ago there was a thread asking if you would pay privately to get a Covid vaccine if/when vaccines were approved.

Having just gone private for a flu jab, I wondered how those not elligable for a fourth dose of the covid vaccine felt now about paying?

I am assuming that there is no shortage of vaccine supply, so more vulnerable groups wouldn't be missing out. So after 19 months of long covid I would be front of the queue to get a booster vaccine, as I don't think I'm strong enough to go through it again.

CantClimbTom 23 Sep 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

Speculatively... in some point in future (next year?) a  recentish strain of COVID and the 3 or 4 expected most common strains of flu could be combined into a single flu jab + COVID booster injection. This could be available like the flu jab is currently. Well, that's the dream anyway. Maybe this answers your question if you ask in 12 months.

I've had 1 AZ and 2 PZ shots and a cov-2 infection, so for now anyway... not for me. But for my Mrs who's health is imperfect - yeah I'd pay for a shot for her if it was available.

This all reminds me, better pay my £10 (ish) and get my flu jab booked (to reduce the risk of me catching spreading flu). Thanks!

Edit: Not £10 ish, just booked and charged £16.95!!!!!

Post edited at 20:15
OP Jenny C 23 Sep 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Check out the supermarket pharmacies -£10

The Norris 24 Sep 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

I had my (bivalent moderna) covid booster yesterday in one arm and my flu jab in the other! (I work with cancer patients, hence my eligibility). Covid arm is very sore! But I'm glad to have had it as a few friends have had covid again recently and felt pretty rough with it.

Whether I would pay for it... yes I probably would if it wasn't too expensive, 10-15 seems reasonable, but I have no idea on how much they cost to make etc, that's just what I would likely pay. If it costs more than that I'd probably just roll the dice and get infected. It was just a cold with taste changes last time, so not too bad with it.

In reply to Jenny C:

The supply of both Moderna and Pfizer bivalent vaccine isn't great. Speak to your GP.

OP Jenny C 24 Sep 2022
In reply to Deleated bagger:

It's a theoretical question of if you would be happy to pay (were the option available).

Two years ago (before anyone was vaccinated) we had an interesting thread with people saying if and how much they would be prepared to pay should vaccines become available.

Clearly at the moment very rightly priority is still being given based on need, but as I said with flu vaccines anyone can choose to pay to get one of they want. So would you pay for a private covid jab if you could?

Fiona Reid 24 Sep 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

I'd be happy to pay if the option was there. I've paid for a private flu jab since about 2010 after having flu in 2008 and vowing never again!

I had covid in June and whilst not super ill still would rather have everything possible to prevent me getting it again or to reduce the severity. If they keep the current system I might get it next year depending on when you need to be 50 by.

Post edited at 21:38
 Dax H 25 Sep 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

I would have paid before experiencing the fun of long covid, now I would sell my mum to pay if I needed to.

One of the very few upsides to last years heart attack though is being eligible and booked in for 2 weeks time. Looks like my mum is safe (for now) 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...