Panic buying of wine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 21 Mar 2020

If we can't go out at least we can have a drink, even if the pubs are shut. So what are the best bargains in red wine in the shops at present?

Here's a couple to be going on with: 

Best below £5 - Rocky Mountain Californian Zinfandel 2 for £10 (Morrisons)

Best below £10 - Morrison's Best Negroamaro £7

Apothic Red - superb Californian blend, £8.50 last time I bought some (Booth's and Morrisons)

Any more favourites?

Blue Straggler 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Buying by the bottle is a rookie error! Bag in a box is what you want. Never mind the quality , feel the quantity. I have built a wine box fortress 

Tom Valentine 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

It seems your connoisseurship only extends so far..........       

Lankyman 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A bit off topic but

>Any more favourites?

Even more off topic, Booths have an offer going for Corona beer at present. Entirely coincidentally I'm sure. I've bought some for my confinement.

Climber_Bill 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I went into Tescos a couple of days after the panic buying had started. In the beer section, all that was left were 2 virtually untouched pallets of boxes of Corona!! Go figure!!

Back on topic; the Tesco Finest 1531 Blanquette De Limoux and the Tesco Finest Cremant De Limoux Rose Sparkling are both exceptionally nice and good value.

TJB

mrphilipoldham 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Aldi's Toro Loco at £3.89 (iirc) a bottle is a superb red. Even the wine connoisseur in laws enjoyed it in a blind taste test!

Tom Valentine 21 Mar 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I think it won some fairly prestigious award a couple  of years ago.

HansStuttgart 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> A bit off topic but

> >Any more favourites?

> Even more off topic, Booths have an offer going for Corona beer at present. Entirely coincidentally I'm sure. I've bought some for my confinement.

That reminds me of a brilliant offer from a Belgian bar a couple of weeks ago: buy 2 Corona's, get 1 Mort Subite for free

Moley 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I shall probably have to order in supplies for delivery, but only Asda deliver here and wife has booked first slot in about 3 weeks time. Never bought wine from Asda - anything any good, or reasonable value - I am usually in the £5-8 bracket and mainly red at moment?

Otherwise I have to order from Tanners, but they are not the cheapest.

BruceM 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

You guys are slow.  With Brexit inevitable, we have made a point of building up stocks with every trip to France, Italy, Spain these last few years.  We have only 1 roll of toilet paper left in the flat, but 50-ish litres of red remaining.

Jabbott 21 Mar 2020
In reply to BruceM:

I love the Riesling Lidl do for around a fiver, the Argentinian Malbec in Aldi is a good drop too. 

Moley 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Jabbott:

Half way through a bottle of lidl Second Fleet Shiraz - not bad, can't see the bottle lasting. Their Rieslings are good, wife likes those and I have a taste for that Canadian ice wine they sometimes have (especially if selling off at half price).

plyometrics 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Not necessarily a bargain, but swerved into Majestic in Kendal to pick up some Musar earlier today.

Made you wash your hands on entry, which I thought was good. 

Le Sapeur 21 Mar 2020
In reply to BruceM:

> We have only 1 roll of toilet paper left in the flat, but 50-ish litres of red remaining.

That could be extremely messy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...