Panic buying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Smith 18 Mar 2020

I was bought but by my Father and he taught me the value of eating good food, food, thank God, the average Panic buyer is not touching... Vesta Beef Ruby (that's Curry to the uneducated) and Chow Mein.

Proper Nosh!

summo 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Richard Smith:

Do fray bentos still do pies in tins? Treacle sponge... all great food with a shelf life long enough to survive a nuclear winter.

OP Richard Smith 18 Mar 2020
In reply to summo:

Yes they do, "Steak and Piss Filter" (as the Scout use to call it) pie... Discusting!

The Scout also had on camp 'Steam Pudding and Custard sandwich; now we're talking.  

Battenberg and Custard, that's what the Old Man use to dish up too... Hmmmm! 

wintertree 18 Mar 2020

My ability to drink condensed milk from the tin may yet save the day...

Tom Valentine 18 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

Coffee at my aunty's was Camp with Carnation.

Myfyr Tomos 18 Mar 2020

Have you come across Birdie Num Num during your gastronomic research?

brianjcooper 18 Mar 2020

>  Vesta Beef Ruby (that's Curry to the uneducated) 

I always remember my first Vesta curries.  The height of bedsit cuisine. 

NOT!!!!   

Toerag 18 Mar 2020

It would appear that people have been panic buying.........freezers here!  Someone posted on the local facebook ebuy group asking for one and the subsequent thread revealed that no retailer in the island has any freezers left in stock.

Post edited at 20:11
 Dave the Rave 18 Mar 2020

For some reason the panic buyers in north wales have turned their attention to chicken. Shops devoid of it. 
I would hate to be a chicken at the minute.

Tigger 18 Mar 2020

Just been out and all we could find was greens and tomato sauce...

Ok some exaggeration but less than I'd like.

Post edited at 20:20
 Graeme G 18 Mar 2020

So......

No veg, like none! No milk, no Strawberry Mueller Yoghurts, no tins of beans, no bread, no boxes of wine, no cartons of beer, no toilet roll (obviously), no frozen chips, no chicken (frozen or otherwise) and almost no peanuts.

Loads of chocolates though. We won’t die.....hopefully 

Wainers44 18 Mar 2020

> I was bought but by my Father and he taught me the value of eating good food, food, thank God, the average Panic buyer is not touching... Vesta Beef Ruby (that's Curry to the uneducated) and Chow Mein.

> Proper Nosh!

Ah Vesta Chow Mein, the ultimate in wild camp cuisine....or so I thought about 30 years ago. Tried it again recently,  suffice to say that I was bitterly disappointed.

OP Richard Smith 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

> Loads of chocolates though. We won’t die.....hopefully 

I'm fat, depressed, have atrial fibrillation and unemployed, live in a Country where quite a few don't use the intelligence they were born with (panic buyers etc.)... die, only if my luck is that good! 

Stichtplate 18 Mar 2020

Here in one of the leafier parts of commuter belt Cheshire, bog roll went MIA over a week ago, tinned goods started disappearing in the last couple of days, but this afternoon's schools announcement has really caused a panic amongst the yummy mummies. Mrs Sticht popped into the local Sainsbury's for milk and found the white wine shelves had been stripped (I'm not even kidding) 

pec 18 Mar 2020

So what have UKCers been panic buying?

I went out and bought several bags of sand and cement on Monday, just in case

I've got a patio that needs laying that I've not had chance to do since the autumn because its never stopped raining.

As it happens, Mrs Pec went down with Covid symtoms yesterday so I'm on 2 weeks enforced isolation. Weather permitting I'll have a new patio soon.

brianjcooper 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

> Tried it again recently,  suffice to say that I was bitterly disappointed.

Don't you mean bitterly reminded. 

Jenny C 18 Mar 2020

I can't quite believe that I found myself asking a staff member if the 4 item limit was per banana, or per bunch...

nathan79 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Toerag:

I was just saying to a colleague the other day "It's only a matter of time before some of these [expletive] start buying freezers to stockpile even more of their panic buys."

Disappointed it's now started.

Ridge 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

> I can't quite believe that I found myself asking a staff member if the 4 item limit was per banana, or per bunch...

If its any consolation an old lady in Aldi was asking the exact same question yesterday 😀

Graeme G 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

> I can't quite believe that I found myself asking a staff member if the 4 item limit was per banana, or per bunch...

Ah, but did you ask about peas 😂

Ridge 18 Mar 2020

Some friends have a small farm and sell potatoes on the local market and do home deliveries.

They had a stand up row with a bloke (who has never bought a thing off them in 18 years) who was demanding that they sell him 16 stones of spuds. They let him have the one bag, saying they had to look after their regular customers.

Fozzy 18 Mar 2020

I put 15 rabbits in the freezer on Sunday, if that counts? 

Stichtplate 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Fozzy:

> I put 15 rabbits in the freezer on Sunday, if that counts? 

were they dead?

tjdodd 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

> were they dead?

They are now

Albert Tatlock 18 Mar 2020

Really odd, my local supermarket has be striped bare of tinned / long life / frozen food .

But of  loads of fresh veg and fruit that has been left alone . 

?

Moley 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> For some reason the panic buyers in north wales have turned their attention to chicken. Shops devoid of it. 

> I would hate to be a chicken at the minute.

Damn, found one of ours dead yesterday, I slung it as didn't realise there was money to be made. 

Rest of the flock best keep laying or else........

Albert Tatlock 18 Mar 2020

BBC reports no no panic buying in Italy 🇮🇹 Even though being on in a more difficult position

In reply to Baron Weasel:

> Classic num num 

Surely the interwebs destroyed the printed nudie mag.

Ah, the nostalgia. Finding a spent 80s Readers Wives in a hedge bottom was a real bonanza.

stevieb 18 Mar 2020
In reply to pec:

> So what have UKCers been panic buying?

I panic bought an outdoor table tennis table. Got to keep the kids slightly active through the clamp down.  

andyb211 18 Mar 2020
In reply to pec:

> So what have UKCers been panic buying?

> I went out and bought several bags of sand and cement on Monday, just in case

> I've got a patio that needs laying that I've not had chance to do since the autumn because its never stopped raining.

I've an ex mother in law I need burying can we come to a mutual arrangement? ; )

LastBoyScout 18 Mar 2020

My wife bought some bottles of Rioja today - they were 25% off and an extra 25% off if you bought 6!

I'm going to go and buy a few DIY bits over the next few days, in case the shops start shutting down.

Toccata 19 Mar 2020

I panic-bought postcrete, shiplap and a toilet. As not going to work is not an option I’m living in the garage (as mentioned in another thread this, thanks to bouldering wall, brewery and stove, is not a bad thing). A lack of facilities meant that in 2 hours last night I built a outside short-drop over a soil manhole. Water supplied by rain water cistern, reading by On The Edge issues 30-65. I’m going outside and may be some time.

Jenny C 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Lidl doesn't sell loose peas. 

Post edited at 07:39
 dread-i 19 Mar 2020

I bought a couple of extra tins of .22. Just in case I need to repel raiders, or shoot cats. Being a vegetarian I wont eat the cats, but I can trade them for tofu.

didntcomelast 19 Mar 2020
In reply to pec:

Tin of bitumen and some new roofing felt, winter storms trashed my shed roof. 

pec 19 Mar 2020
In reply to andyb211:

> I've an ex mother in law I need burying can we come to a mutual arrangement? ; )

What can you offer me in return? A month's worth of toilet roll perhaps, I can't get any for love nor money!

pec 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Toccata:

> I panic-bought postcrete, shiplap and a toilet.  . . . .

Excellent effort, eclipses my patio laying plans.

d_b 19 Mar 2020

"Cricket flour", "mealworms for human consumption" and "dried crickets" are all still in stock at Amazon, and their prices appear unaffected.

For some reason Amazon has been spamming me with adverts for  insect protein ever since I bought some camping meals a couple of months ago. Is there something the manufacturers aren't telling me?

Ava Adore 19 Mar 2020

Although I realise most of this thread is not genuinely talking about panic buying but rather is gently poking fun (which I love), I am genuinely distressed at this state of affairs.  I belong to the vulnerable group that may be next on the list to self-isolate but I cannot bring myself to hoard and deprive others in the process.  It's difficult.  I accept that.  Although I have plenty of food a little voice inside keeps thinking "yes but what if I can't buy more".  So far I have resisted that little voice.  And I really shall do my best to take only what I need.  Promise.

d_b 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Ava Adore:

Around where I live the council is putting together a list of volunteers and there are local Facebook and WhatsApp group organising to get supplies to people who are stuck indoors.

Its possible some of your neighbours are setting up something similar.

Timmd 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Ava Adore:

I'm in the same/similar boat, I keep holding back from buying more 'just in case', and then wondering about supplies in the future and wondering if I should do. I was actually kinda worried from being type 1 diabetic, but it turns out that if I control my blood sugar well enough, I'm at no more physical risk than anybody else, in that problems apparently come from how infection & illness can send blood sugar levels higher (which can cause certain illness related issues). I keep waiting for supply to catch up with demand due to people finding they've no more space to horde food. hopefully most of us manage to resist panic buying.

Post edited at 12:39
 Wainers44 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Ava Adore:

Good for you!

Only thing we are attempting to panic buy (as in get an extra bag) is dried dog food. The thought of sharing a house with him and the smells he makes when his diet gets changed is too horrific for words....

Stay safe 

shuffle 19 Mar 2020

I adore both custard and battenberg, but somehow it has never occurred to me to eat them together. I am going to try it as soon as possible

Graeme G 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

> Lidl doesn't sell loose peas. 

Lidl doesn’t sell loose peas......yet.....

krikoman 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Fozzy:

> I put 15 rabbits in the freezer on Sunday, if that counts? 

Next time you open the door there'll be 63.

wercat 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Ho Ti say "Woman who cooks meat and peas in same pot very unhygienic".

(something I won on a stall at Whitby 50 years ago)

Ridge 19 Mar 2020

Theres been a run on mixers at Asda and  Tesco, and flour of all types has vanished from the shelves. Wholewheat pasta still available because it's brown, and linguine (because thats obviously some sort of vegetable).

Trolleys laden with frozen pizzas and frozen chips are currently in vogue at Asda, and Tesco has supervisors removing any more than 3 food, water and hygeine items from peoples trolleys at the checkout.

Plenty of fresh food though, which is being avoided by most of the clientele.

Timmd 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> Plenty of fresh food though, which is being avoided by most of the clientele.

Which is slightly odd, when a strong immunity is desirable. 

Post edited at 13:48
 Doug 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Timmd:

Just back from our local largeish supermarket here in the Champsaur (southern French Alps). Everything seemed normal at first, but as we wondered round we found that the aisle with pasta, rice etc was close to empty, then that the aisle with toilet paper, kitchen role etc was pretty barren too. Everything else was normal so plenty of fresh fruit, veg, wine, beer, cheese etc.

XXXX 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Timmd:

My local supermarket is a waitrose and the older generation are worse than anyone for panic buying.

The shop was all out of fresh fruit and veg except onions at 9am today.

There was a forlorn older lady who couldn't find any corned beef (do they sell it?) but there was still plenty of caviar.

I also noticed that the bottom shelf was entirely untouched on every aisle, presumably because those of a certain age couldn't get to it and then get back up again. Managed to bag myself some kidney beans and green lentils. Win.

I also put a job lot in the food bank, which we should all be doing more of right now.

Tom Valentine 19 Mar 2020
In reply to XXXX:

Mine's an Aldi and the fruit and veg stalls are looking fairly healthy. Maybe it's Waitrose customers in general who are more panicky than their Aldi counterparts.

stp 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> Which is slightly odd, when a strong immunity is desirable. 

You can't horde fresh food because it goes it off. Tins and dried food will easily keep for the duration of the pandemic.

summo 19 Mar 2020
In reply to stp:

> You can't horde fresh food because it goes it off. Tins and dried food will easily keep for the duration of the pandemic.

Batch cook meals and freeze. You can always buy fresh veg and just prepare, then freeze too. 

At this time of year very little fresh is UK grown, with some countries that supply the UK suffering, supply might slow down if this lingers on for several months. 

Timmd 19 Mar 2020
In reply to stp:

I guess one can freeze certain fresh fruit and veg, but that's a very good point.

GrahamD 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

> Ah Vesta Chow Mein, the ultimate in wild camp cuisine....or so I thought about 30 years ago. Tried it again recently,  suffice to say that I was bitterly disappointed.

How did you do the deep fried noodles ? we always stuck with the curry and left the chow mein for a treat to come home to.

Carless 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> Have you come across Birdie Num Num during your gastronomic research?

I have to say I find the idea of coming across Birdie Num Num rather disturbing

Stichtplate 19 Mar 2020
In reply to XXXX:

> My local supermarket is a waitrose and the older generation are worse than anyone for panic buying.

Since the over 70s have been advised to self isolate for 12 weeks it's rather understandable that they'd want to get a big shop done.

wercat 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

both of my grandmothers did Camp Coffee!  Part of the joy of staying with them was getting up and feeling grown up at breakfast being given a camp coffee

Wainers44 19 Mar 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> How did you do the deep fried noodles ? we always stuck with the curry and left the chow mein for a treat to come home to.

Tiny bit of oil in the trangia frying pan. They went from cold to spot welded on in 5secs. You had to be quick!

Removed User 19 Mar 2020
In reply to nathan79:

> I was just saying to a colleague the other day "It's only a matter of time before some of these [expletive] start buying freezers to stockpile even more of their panic buys."

> Disappointed it's now started.

I work with a chap that sells refurbished appliances he put two freezers up on ebay and both were sold within 5 minutes and then the phone was non stop asking if we had any freezers left , we could have sold 20.

Mr Lopez 19 Mar 2020
In reply to stp:

> You can't horde fresh food because it goes it off.

3 big supermarkets i visited yesterday in an attempt to buy dinner were all out of any sort of veg, not even a single onion left,

That said, they were effectively out of everything else as well, and as soon as staff came out of the backroms with pallets for restocking they were mobbed with people grabbing full boxes out of the pile seemingly not caring what there was in the box.

Beginning to think that letting this virus rage and decimate humanity might not be a bad thing after all if that's what people have gotten to

wercat 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Mr Lopez:

pigs

oldie 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I returned to New Malden from Dorset this afternoon. Walked straight in at Waitrose, not crowded and got my "normal "shopping s (bol sauce, frozen veg, and milk...the racks were full of the latter). Obviously they receive goods and stack them throughout day. Many shelves inc tins, veg, meat, bread almost empty however.....the selfish idiots who overbuy are  going to be vastly overstocked, will have risked infection via the rest of the crowd, and might end up throwing much away. I can't deny there's that tiny feeling at the back of my mind that I'm risking eventual hunger (unlikely) by not panicking, and this would be due to all theoverbuying.

stp 19 Mar 2020
In reply to oldie:

> .the selfish idiots who overbuy are  going to be vastly overstocked,

It's a natural assumption to make and I'm sure some such people exist. But it might also be the case that if everyone buys just a little more than usual the shelves will end up empty too.

> at the back of my mind that I'm risking eventual hunger (unlikely) by not panicking

Well that's a reasonable fear that is presumably magnified by the empty shelves. Hopefully the government will intervene soon though their ideology is all about the free market meeting people's needs.

Sealwife 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

Local electrical retailer to me has reputedly sold out of freezers because people have been buying extras to hoard frozen food.

deepsoup 19 Mar 2020
In reply to stp:

> ...though their ideology is all about the free market meeting people's needs.

I can see "all about the free market" right enough, "meeting people's needs" not so much.

elsewhere 19 Mar 2020

What I've heard is....

In Germany & UK toilet paper is in short supply

but in the US guns are in short supply

and in France condoms are in short supply.

Vive La France!

In reply to oldie:

I try to approach it all with a Ready Steady Cook mentality: I might not be able to get exactly what I want but the shelves would have to be pretty bare to stop me knocking up some sort of meal.

In reply to elsewhere:

Are they better "a point" or "bien cuit"?

stp 19 Mar 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Well I meant 'ideology' as opposed to 'reality'.

Dave the Rave 19 Mar 2020

What these stockpiling dudes need is a good old fashioned power cut so that they can watch all their produce rot in front of them.

oldie 19 Mar 2020

> I try to approach it all with a Ready Steady Cook mentality: I might not be able to get exactly what I want but the shelves would have to be pretty bare to stop me knocking up some sort of meal. <

Agree. Even now there's plenty of stuff in (in my experience) in the supermarkets to make a tasty and nutritious meal. Just one might need to spend more, eg on cooked rather than uncooked meat, as veg etc has often gone. There's lots of different ways to get carbs, protein, fats if one thinks.  If forced none of us actually Need tea, coffee and milk even though the empty shelves imply this is not a universal opinion.

Bacon Butty 19 Mar 2020

Or we could store their virus riddled corpses in them and give all the contents to food banks.

deepsoup 19 Mar 2020
In reply to stp:

Yeah, sorry, it was unnecessarily nit-picky that one.  Touch of cabin fever perhaps - time to turn the social media off for a couple of hours..

d_b 19 Mar 2020

That just means that they go out and buy more stuff, which makes it take longer for stocks to return to normal.

Dave the Rave 19 Mar 2020
In reply to d_b:

Yeah, thought of that. Maybe their chicken would defrost a little unknowingly and supply them with botulism when they eventually ate some.

Hat Dude 19 Mar 2020

I suspect it's not only food & stuff that's being panic bought!

Our Fridge/Freezer packed up this afternoon; fortunately we have a second fridge so I thought I'd look for a small freezer that I could buy and collect. Everywhere I have tried is out of stock.

Rog Wilko 20 Mar 2020

Mrs Wilko, who has a great skill for lateral thinking, suggests bulk buy pricing at supermarkets should be reversed eg one bag of flour for £3, 2 bags £25.

Hat Dude 20 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

That is the best idea I've heard this week

Mrs Wilko for Coronavirus Tsar!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...