Overall The Net Effect Of Hospitals Is Negative

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 05 Apr 2021

...I mean, that's just a guess. 

But this is what the clinical psychologist and conservative opinion-haver Jordan Peterson says, outrageously (for money). 

I know it's mean to make fun of someone's serious medical problems, but after his benzo addiction, I thought: would anyone trust my advice, as an optometrist, if I was in the papers because I drove a minibus full of schoolkids over a cliff edge, because I had my glasses on upside down?

Anyway, this is absolutely classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCns9ZjZkUc&ab_channel=DavidPakmanShow

Blue Straggler 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

is he classed, now, as an “influencer”? 

OP Jon Stewart 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> is he classed, now, as an “influencer”? 

If that flushes him down into the same fetid effluent tank as PewDiePie, I hope so. 

Post edited at 02:24
 Ciro 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> is he classed, now, as an “influencer”? 

No, his classification of "bellend" hasn't changed.

Offwidth 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks for the spot...hospitals killing more people than they save is probably up with the maddest things he has said yet, but sadly his fans will never listen. One annoying issue about this argument is an estimate of the numbers of lives saved each year in US hospitals isn't an easy number to find, when it should be; it must be in the millions given heart bypass alone saves over a hundred thousand. The US healthcare system is the most expensive per capita in the world and yet one of the worst performing overall of western economies so there is a lot of room for improvement. Obviously major reform is still needed to improve the access to healthcare for the poor but improvements can still be made in the existing system: initiatives like the 100,000 lives campaign has been working hard on closing the gap between the poorest quality hospitals and the best.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17120921/

US major causes of death:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

200,000 heart bypass ops per year:

https://www.texasheart.org/heart-health/heart-information-center/topics/cor...

In reply to Offwidth:

> Obviously major reform is still needed to improve the access to healthcare for the poor

Why would you need to do that if the effect of healthcare is negative...?

Yay! Save money and save the poor by not providing them with healthcare...

It's a small statist's wet dream...

Roadrunner6 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

It's more complex than purely healthcare though.

The poor outcomes in the US are largely down to access or late access to healthcare due to insurance issues. Maternal mortality rates are awful but that's largely due to woman getting almost to the point of labor with no oversight.

It leads the world in mistakes but in terms of post op infections, or survival post surgery it's comparable with many developed world countries.

If you have good insurance, which probably less than 50% do, it's pretty good. That's the first major thing that has to change the second is the general health and obesity issue.

Ramblin dave 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Ciro:

> No, his classification of "bellend" hasn't changed.

The best summary I've heard is "Terrence McKenna for incels who can't get decent drugs".

CantClimbTom 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Ciro:

You're out of date, he used to be a "bellend", but recently he was officially recognised as a "cock-womble". This is quite a big deal as he's entitled to add that after his name on driving licence and other official docs.

dread-i 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

"Its just a guess and it could even be wrong".

With such fact checked assertions, I fail to see why anyone would doubt him.

I'd also question why he went to Russia and Serbia for his addiction treatment. Cheaper than in the US, perhaps? Maybe, and it's just a guess I could be wrong, he has an axe to grind against hospitals.

Why the flip are we giving people like this the air of publicity they need, in order for them to make money?

Offwidth 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Hasn't the prescription drug crisis dwarfed maternity issues? All complicated by covid now

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/prescription-drug-overdose/index.html

Roadrunner6 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

It's a huge problem, but again an access to medical care issue too. People just get painkillers and don't get the actual treatment and end up getting pain relief through other channels and getting addicted. I know some very well educated, professional, very well off people who ended up addicted to opioids though. 

It's made worse by not having a central healthcare system. Various tristate (NY, NJ, CT type areas but there are many tristates) areas have tried to link healthcare records to stop Dr shopping but with so many private and state clinics, plus telodocs it's hard to stop people getting prescriptions.

US wide it's around 1 kid in 70 will die from a drug overdose and in certain badly hit states like West Virginia the risk is double that.

They are working with the training of medical students to stop that but they are still fighting some Doctors who have no electronic medical records so it's impossible to link to a regional/national database. Our local Dr in NH was finally forced out of business just a few years ago for refusing to get electronic records.

Post edited at 15:12
 MonkeyPuzzle 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Don't mock Jordan Peterson. My WWALD ("what would a lobster do?") necklace has brought me great inspiration over the years and I often raise a toast to Mr Peterson from my undersea burrow before tucking into some molluscs, worms and other small crustaceans.

Timmd 06 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

He says so much which is wrong, I can remember when he was once asked about same sex couples adopting ages ago, he started off with 'You've got to be careful', than rambled along, before concluding that it's better than no parents at all, when studies have found that children from same sex couples turn out just as fine. 

There's his narrative that men and women have been working together against nature throughout the ages, and that women haven't been oppressed like some say, too, and that feminism is misplaced in the perception that oppression is a long term problem. Where if one looks back through history, women 'have' been marginalised, the Medieval rape laws were grim, for example, in people believing that a woman couldn't get pregnant if she didn't enjoy it, and the law being that a man could only be charged with rape if a women got pregnant, or there's how in Victorian times woman had to be published under male names to be taken seriously, there's all kind of ways it's happened over the years. I don't know if it's him being wrong and confident, or what he talks about which irks, but he's wrong a lot and people follow him. 

A Scottish grandma might have called him a dunderhead. 

Post edited at 17:48
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Obviously he is a repulsive oaf, but this (obviously stupid) assertion does remind me that when doctors go on strike, fewer people die. At least in the short term.

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2008.09.044

Offwidth 07 Apr 2021
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Yes that's an infamous misused stat. In a strike the process of dealing with hospital death often gets 'parked' (delaying the normal counting) and risky but vital interventions are delayed (making the risk even higher later, in situations where death is even more likely without them). Plus some people stupidly avoid hospital thinking there is no service and add risk to themselves (and some die but outside hospital).

Post edited at 08:24
OP Jon Stewart 07 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Brilliant!

That's the thing about Marvel - always cucking the white race...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...