Outdoor Instructor interview

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andyb535 07 Aug 2022

Hope this is the right place to post this. Just looking for a bit of advice. I have an upcoming interview for a post as an outdoor instructor with a local authority. I can't decide what to wear for the interview. Normally I'd wear a shirt and tie, but given the nature of the job and the idea that you dress for the job you want, I feel I should maybe wear smart outdoor gear. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. 

ExiledScot 07 Aug 2022
In reply to Andyb535:

Depends. Are you interviewed by the current head of centre at their site, perhaps with them on a small panel. Or is it by head of HR in county hall or the county council hq? Dress codes are as much about the interviewers expectations and preconceptions than the role. 

At the very least I'd suggest dressing at least as smart as a head of centre who never actually goes out, but wants to look vaguely outdoorsy, quality short sleeved shirt, chino type trousers, calm coloured footwear. If it's HR folk in a city office, then safer to dress up as they might not know the difference between smart and scruffy outdoor clothing. 

mike123 07 Aug 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

> At the very least I'd suggest dressing at least as smart as a head of centre who never actually goes out, but wants to look vaguely outdoorsy, quality short sleeved shirt, chino type trousers, calm coloured footwear. 

my old next door neighbour was head of one of the last big local authority centres in the lakes and pretty much dressed like that all the time or in old Ron hills  when going cragging . I often chuckled at the frequent appearance of the Ron hills on a  mid week morning .

” Busy day **** ? “ 

RBonney 07 Aug 2022
In reply to Andyb535:

In the past I've gone dressed ready for doing some outdoor activity as you usually do that as part of the interview. That was mentioned when the interview was offered.

But I would also always take a full suit, shirt and tie. When it came to the formal interview bit I would ask if they wanted me to change into something smarter. Some said yes, others no.

In my personal opinion they shouldn't want you to dress up smart though, as looking smart and presentable in office clothing has no bearing on how one instructs.

All the best with the interview  

Post edited at 09:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...