Ordnance Survey Easter Map Fun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Lyon 20 Apr 2019

Ordnance Survey are doing some easter egg hunt around their online maps.

It's fun if you're a map geek.

I'm stuck on number 7.

In reply to Phil Lyon:

Any chance of a link?

OP Phil Lyon 20 Apr 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/

click on the egg

Welsh Kate 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Thanks for this - it is fun, but after whizzing through the first 6, I'm also stuck on 7!

In reply to Welsh Kate:

Got them all now. Got stuck on the cathedral for a while. 7 is not so bad of you look at the shape of the lake.

OP Phil Lyon 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

It doesn't ring any bells for me that lake.

angry pirate 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

I'm still stuck on the cathedral! 

MG 21 Apr 2019
In reply to angry pirate:

Stuck on 7, Grrr. 

XXXX 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

This was great, thanks! It was the mosque in 7 that gave it away, along with the shape of the road next to it.

The cathedral was tricky but I just worked my way around the famous ones.

Welsh Kate 21 Apr 2019
In reply to XXXX:

Aah, I have to finish a bunch of marking before getting back to it! Looking forward to it though - it's quite an incentive to concentrate on the marking!

OP Phil Lyon 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I guess the mosque, the road shape and the boating lake are all giveaways.

if you know that place!

Please someone give me a clue; it's now officially doing my head in

Post edited at 15:19
In reply to Phil Lyon:

So am I!

OK got that one but No 10 has me stumped. Looks like a Scottish sea loch with a ferry route.

Post edited at 16:10
 Welsh Kate 21 Apr 2019
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Well it's amazing what fresh eyes'll do for you! After a day of stuck indoors marking all day despite the beautiful weather I started again, got 7 immediately and really couldn't understand why I didn't get it last night! Then the rest I went straight to on the map :-D

Good on OS, that was great Easter fun!

JamButty 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Stuck on 6,  not good on Scotland,  any hints?

MG 21 Apr 2019
In reply to JamButty:

Sgurr na B....? 

JamButty 21 Apr 2019
In reply to MG:

Ooh ta,  you're a star.  Don't think I'd have got that

Then went and got #7 without blinking.....

kathrync 22 Apr 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

I'm stuck on 3. No idea what that building is. Someone give me a clue?

In reply to kathrync:

The large cross shape in manicured lawned grounds looks like a cathedral, so you have to go through the most famous cathedrals you can think of - St Pauls, Canterbury, Durham, etc - and check them all until you find the right one.

Hint: It's none of them

climb41 22 Apr 2019
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Stuck on # 8. Any hints?

Thank you!

kathrync 22 Apr 2019
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Thanks. Yes, I had figured it is probably a cathedral - the building itself is cross shaped too. I just seem to have exhausted all the cathedrals I know of! I'll keep trying

Ianto Bach 22 Apr 2019

Don't be silly

> No 10 has me stumped. Looks like a Scottish sea loch with a ferry route.

​​​​

Just start at Shetland and check all the coastlines where the 14-15-16 northing figures appear. Keep working South until you find the right one.....

deepsoup 22 Apr 2019
In reply to kathrync:

It's funny how similar a lot of cathedrals look isn't it, cross-shaped and aligned E-W.  (Not a coincidence, obviously).

I don't think I would have got that one if I hadn't cheated a bit.  I'd tried all the cathedrals I could think of, and a handful of abbeys as well.  In the end I worked my way through a list, skipping the more modern ones and a few others.  (You wouldn't want to just look at them all in alphabetical order, it'd take ages.)
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Cathedrals/

deepsoup 22 Apr 2019
In reply to climb41:

What cracked that for me was thinking about how green and rolling the hills look in the picture.  Not the most mountain-y of mountains.

kathrync 22 Apr 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

After I had been at it for a while I was on the phone to Mum and asked her to name some cathedrals. Her first answer was the right one!

Now playing a similar game with container ports of the UK! Anyone want to give me a hint? Which coast?

In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Or I could start South & work North - that might be a better ploy - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

deepsoup 22 Apr 2019
In reply to kathrync:

> Anyone want to give me a hint? Which coast?

You can sort of see that in the picture I think, it's a river estuary but in one corner there's a hint of a beach.

kathrync 22 Apr 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

I think I must have been past it and maybe not zoomed in enough. Been all the way round the mainland coast twice now and still not found it!

JamButty 22 Apr 2019
In reply to kathrync:

try that lumpy bit on the right.

deepsoup 22 Apr 2019
In reply to kathrync:

Oh, how annoying.  I bet you'll spot it straight away with fresh eyes, that little patch of beach gives you a clue which way the coast is facing.

I don't want to just tell you the answer (unless you want that in which case I'll email) - but how about if you just zoom out from the clue slightly so you can see a wee bit more:
http://deepsoup.f2s.com/UKC/os_easteregg5.png

climb41 22 Apr 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Yes, I thought that as well, so have sort of discounted Scotland.......been looking in the Lakes, maybe I need to be further south.....

kathrync 23 Apr 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Got there in the end, and before I saw your zoomed in clue. Annoyingly, I had actually been there quite early on, but hadn't zoomed in enough!

Went straight to everything after that

Post edited at 00:05
 climb41 23 Apr 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Got it now.....

Thanks. 

richardbmw 23 Apr 2019
In reply to climb41:

Any hints to number 8? 

I'm sure I've looked everywhere!

Post edited at 15:18
 deepsoup 23 Apr 2019
In reply to richardbmw:

That's the same one climb41 was stuck on further up, did you see the hint I offered up then?

> What cracked that for me was thinking about how green and rolling the hills look in the picture.  Not the most mountain-y of mountains.

climb41 replied:

> maybe I need to be further south.....

(And was on the right track with that really.)

deepsoup 23 Apr 2019
In reply to kathrync:

> Went straight to everything after that

Well done.  I struggled with number 10 - suffered slightly from tunnel vision and went up and down almost the entire country about a dozen times scrutinizing everywhere on the coast at 100km intervals before I eventually twigged.

I think I got a bit distracted by Scarp, off the W coast of Harris, out of a touch of nostalgia.
I kayaked clockwise around Scarp on slightly choppy seas but a lovely day the year before last and stumbled across the little beach on its Northern side, just across from the even smaller island of Cearstaigh.  The numbers about fit - grid ref is NA 963167.

Harris is gobsmacking anyway but that tiny beach with the little sweep of green machair behind it and a waterfall tumbling over the impressive cliff behind that was just astonishing.  Sensory overload, I may have even shed a tear, soppy sod.  At that moment it was the most beautiful spot on Earth, no question.   (I took photos, but they don't do it justice of course.)

kathrync 23 Apr 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

I spent a little while on number 10 looking at all the little channels between the Shetland Isles before decided they were too rocky (and the numbers didn't fit) and going to the correct location.

Mmm, wonderful place for a paddle!  I need to get in a boat again...renting is such a faff though!

richardbmw 24 Apr 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

I thought it looked like the lakes, but I didn't manage to find it, I'll head further south

Post edited at 16:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...