One for the motorcyclists....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 22 Jan 2020

I've decided to get a bike....not had one for a fair while!

Initial choice was a Kawasaki Versys 650 but I really like the look of the BMW F700 and it has a low seat height which I do need.  The V Strom looks a bit too bulky and a bit dated but gets decent reviews....

I really like the KTM's but very high seats and ill be probably 90+ % on roads.

I plan to use it touring, some non technical off road or tracks if in places like Spain but most likely in the highlands, west coast etc...

Any opinions or views.....I've watched and read so many reviews its doing me no good! I've sat on the bikes but not ridden them yet...

birdie num num 22 Jan 2020
In reply to abr1966:

You need to test ride.

Don't rule out the Tiger 800, or even the Explorer, I’ve had the XC in both. Both fantastic bikes for touring. 

jimtitt 22 Jan 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I've a TDM 900, KTM 450EXC, Kawasaki KMX and a Honda Sky moped. The last is the only one with a low seat

LastBoyScout 23 Jan 2020
In reply to birdie num num:

I remember reading somewhere that no-one in their right mind would take a Tiger off-road - too top-heavy and plastics are very expensive to replace. Great on-road tourer, though - my old instructor had one.

OP - problem is you won't find much that's capable off-road with a low seat, for obvious reasons. You may be able to do something with a thinner saddle to shave the stand-over, but that will affect the relative foot peg position and tuck your knees up a bit. You could try a lowering kit instead/too, but that can bugger the handling if not done properly.

Fruit 23 Jan 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Try a Honda with DCT. You might find you like it

birdie num num 23 Jan 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yes I’d probably echo that... the bit about off road, particularly on the Explorer XC, unless it really is non technical stuff. However as a tourer, it really is brilliant, I’ve been all around Spain and France on mine. And let’s face it, if you buy a 650/750, a year down the line you’re going to hanker after the 1200... so may as well go for it straightaway.

WaterMonkey 23 Jan 2020
In reply to abr1966:

BMW, Their after sales service is second to none.

But as others have said, try the Triumph tiger too.

I'm intrigued by the person who gave the OP a thumbs down for asking a question though!

Puppythedog 23 Jan 2020
In reply to abr1966:

It sounds like you want two bikes, one for touring and one for off road fun. What about buying a zzr600/1100 for touring for about 1500 and then get yourself a KLX450 or some such for off road fun?

petemeads 23 Jan 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I went down the V-Strom route for commuting 70+ miles a day, still going strong at 55,000 miles with my son. Rode a big BMW for a while but traded back down to another Strom so we currently have 2 in the garage. Lovely to ride, very economical. It is tall but does not feel it whilst moving. The Versys might be even better but my wife would not let me consider a Kawasaki...

Jim Lancs 23 Jan 2020
In reply to abr1966:

If you do some googling, you'll find that there's lots of people doing your combination of on road / some off road, using a Triumph Bonneville. Slightly small fuel tank seems to be the only complaint.

Dax H 23 Jan 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I did 30,000 miles in 2 years on a Versys, very capable bike indeed. I only changed it because the Mrs wanted to start touring with me and I'm a big lad and she is not a small lady. 

I then did 20k on  a BMW 1200 GS in 2 years, followed by 30k on. Triumph Explorer and now I'm in year 3 of ownership of a BMW 1200GS Adventure.

The Versys was the least prone to corrosion followed by the Triumph and the BMW's are both shocking. 

I had a few mechanical problems with the 1200GS but nothing with the tigger but when I dropped it in the snow the plastics were a second mortgage. 

I would probably look at the Versys, the tiger 800 low (my friend is a triumph test rider and tested that bike prototype on our holiday round the alps) and also the Yamaha tracer (I think it's the tracer) 

If your looking for 2 up big mile touring though I love the 1200 cc bikes. 

Ian W 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Dax H:

Second vote for the Yamaha MT(07 or 09 depending on what your touring requirements are - i'd go for the MT09 , the MT10 will be too much for any off road as its a completely different kettle of fish). If its going to be gentle off roading / roading on unmade roads in Scotland, how about a VFR800X. Not too massive, superb build quality and a fab engine, but dont drop it, or you'll be wishing you'd bought a cheap to repair Triumph........

speaking of trumpets, if you do go test riding, try the Tiger 1050 Sport. Superb on road bike; I was mightily impressed, and if you are 90% on road, its very sharp and easy handling will cope with a lot of trails etc. For this type of stuff i would say better than the 1200's because of their physical size. 

Post edited at 12:43
 tintinandpip 23 Jan 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I am surprised no one is yet to suggest the Honda Africa Twin. I have got an Adventure Sport which has now done 6,000 miles  and prior to that had the standard one which I did 12,000 miles on in 13 months. Quality Honda engineering and finish ( i think the 2016 ones had issues with corrosion of the wheel rims and spokes) despite moving from  BMW 1200s  I find the performance surprising good, the power is very usable and the handling is very inspiring, ( I don't find the 21" front wheel an issue)   from apex to corner exit seems as quick as on the BMW. Super comfortable which was one of the main reasons for changing to an Adventure bike, old knees ! I did a 3000 mile tour of the Alps and the Pyrenees, two up with climbing gear and camping stuff and it coped brilliantly. I have never had it off road but it is obviously very capable. To sum it up it really is good fun to ride. 

On the down side it is a very tall bike ( particularly the Adventure Sport) so have a good test ride. Honda dealers  currently have a 0% PCP deal on the last of the 1000cc 2019 models as they have brought out a new 1100cc for 2020. 

jimtitt 23 Jan 2020
In reply to abr1966:

A lot of good points since I first posted! Seat height is kinda confusing without trying the bike, my Yamaha is lower than my KTM in theory (and trying to get on board) but the width of the seat (and the greater sag from the KTM) makes touching the ground just as difficult when your on board. For gentle off-road the actual ground clearance doesn´t matter so a lowering kit for any of the more off-road orientated bikes makes sense, for hard-core dirt getting your feet up out of dangers way is more important. While my TDM was derived from the older Tenere (and guys in Australia use them for dirt tracks) the thought of throwing it onto the ground makes my eyes water at the cost of repairs. For the EXC a complete set of plastic is under 100 notes!

There´s no perfect bike, buy three or four. You know you want to!!!!

WaterMonkey 23 Jan 2020
In reply to tintinandpip:

> I am surprised no one is yet to suggest the Honda Africa Twin.

I think it was the seat height issue in the OP. Otherwise i'd be recommending the R1200GS

Climber_Bill 23 Jan 2020
In reply to tintinandpip:

Another vote for the Honda Africa Twin standard version. I fancied a change from sport bikes and went into the AT on a bit of a punt.

The performance is better than the figures would suggest, particularly on twisty roads with its usable low down torque and power. Handling is great, even with a 21" front tyre. Very forgiving on our potholed roads. Wide handle bars are great for manoeuvrability, though not as good filtering in traffic as smaller bikes. Comfort is fine for longer journeys. I have standard seat height but it can be lowered for shorter riders.

Good for off road with suitable tyres, as long as you don't make the mistake of thinking you are a Dakar rider pushing for the podium. It was very expensive and painful, that's all I'll say.

In reply to abr1966:

Controversial suggestion and don't expect much of a positive response

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/x-adv/overview.html

Low seat- modicum of off road ability (they claim) - 750 engine with DCT so comfortable touring - unusual looks ( have seen a few commuting in London, they are actually pretty big bikes, I thought they were more like scooters until I saw one)

OP abr1966 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Thanks everyone for the comments....I basically need to go and ride a few. I'll commute a bit on it aswell (in good weather) so am still keen on something that's not too heavy! 

Ultimately a number of bikes would do the job but at the moment the F700 or the Versys still appeal the most.

The Honda Africa twin gets very mixed reviews and whilst what I need is a fine line between a sports tourer and an adventure bike I do like the upright position of the adventure geometry and the flexibility with the added front fork travel etc...

Planning to go to that superbike factory down in Macclesfield at the weekend for a good comparison.... 

Ceiriog Chris 24 Jan 2020
In reply to birdie num num:

Exactly, I got a low seat XCX 800 as I hadn't had a bike for a while, and a year later exchanged it for the 1200 (also available in a low seat for short arses like me)

birdie num num 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

Yep, and the 1200xc with its 19” front wheel is actually better for short-arses. Win win!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...