Old tablets/PC/phones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 20 May 2020

I've rather hoarded old tech, always assuming it will be useful one day as some kind controller for something. But reality is, cheaper to buy a Pi than mess about with old Motorola Xoom or a Dell Mini 10v. Same for handing down, you can get a cheap modern android device rather than mess around putting some newish ROM on old hardware.

Any useful way to dispose. I've got 1 chromebook, 1 netbook, 2 tablets, 5 phones (at least), and some cameras, routers, NAS and a 2nd gen iPod touch!

The Lemming 20 May 2020
In reply to Philip:

Pawn shop?

It's surprising what they will accept.

OP Philip 20 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I was thinking recycle or repurpose. Not even sure where to find a pawn shop.

Bacon Butty 20 May 2020
In reply to Philip:

I saw something on the news yesterday about some scheme where you can donate devices to families who are lacking these items for their children do their homework on etc.

Here's the piece: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/education-52717519/coronavirus-homeschooling-...

Post edited at 23:18
 Blue Straggler 20 May 2020
In reply to Philip:

I think technically Cash Convertors is a pawn shop although I am not sure why The Lemming has suggested a pawn shop, you presumably don’t want this stuff back! Maybe he just meant they will buy and sell any old tat?! 

BigBrother 21 May 2020
In reply to Philip:

Most of it will sell on ebay for something if you want the cash and can be bothered. Otherwise your local council recycling centre will probably take it. Mine even collects small items with the rest of the recycling. They can extract the rare elements from them to reuse. See this article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49409055

The Lemming 21 May 2020
In reply to Philip:

> I was thinking recycle or repurpose. Not even sure where to find a pawn shop.

There are at least five shops in my town and they always willingly accept old phones and tablets because they can sell them on relatively quickly.

wercat 21 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

as "burners" for the nefarious?

KriszLukash 21 May 2020
In reply to Philip:

With a bit of DIY, a lot of old laptops can be repurposed.

- The integrated speakers are tiny but usually of excellent quality.
You can take them out, craft a speaker box for them, plug into a Bluetooth receiver, voila you’ve got a unique pair of Bluetooth speakers 

- The integrated webcams are usually USB; you can repurpose them in a home security system.

- The LCD panel backlight makes a great little white flat light for photography or as a desk lamp.

- You can repurpose the whole thing as a media centre plugged to your TV

Post edited at 10:18
 The Lemming 21 May 2020
In reply to wercat:

> as "burners" for the nefarious?

Not unless Philip has one of these for the prison population

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...