Oddball project - Body drier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning, 

Has anybody brought and used one of those full body driers ?

I've for some time toyed with making my own .   I've an old air track blower here at work I've stripped down and cleaned up.  Its really got some clout to it .

I've always thought to myself why do we use towels when we could have a body version of the hand driers .  Nice warm air around all your bits sounds like just the ticket to me .

TWS

Post edited at 09:15
 Bacon Butty 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Nice warm air around all your bits sounds like just the ticket to me .

Aye, you can't beat a good blowjob 😀

> Nice warm air around all your bits sounds like just the ticket to me .

Ah. That sort of 'oddball'...

wintertree 18 Sep 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Ah. That sort of 'oddball'...

Not this sort oddball then...

youtube.com/watch?v=0AEj3LA2vSo&

wintertree 18 Sep 2020

If you could use ducted fans with blades designed for a static pressure head, you could duct the air over some thermoelectric devices to cool/dehumidify/heat it.  This saves energy by scavenging the latent heat of evaporation from the moisture in the air.  I’d suggest having a temperature sensor on each side of the TECs and a control loop to keep them from overheating and slagging the prototypes.  I’d probably have a heat exchanger unit with a plane about 1.5 m x 0.25 m  consisting of two metal heat spreaders with fins on to exchange heat to/from the air, and TECs between the planes and expanding foam filling the air gaps; nylon bolts holding the planes together. Mount 10 deg from vertical for condensate to run off and plumb a drain in.  Intake air from up high and outlet holes along the hot side - bigger holes lower down for the reduced air pressure (assuming fans at the top).  Put these fixed on 3 sides and on a door on the fourth.

Post edited at 14:48
 Ridge 18 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> If you could use ducted fans with blades designed for a static pressure head, you could duct the air over some thermoelectric devices to cool/dehumidify/heat it.  This saves energy by scavenging the latent heat of evaporation from the moisture in the air.  I’d suggest having a temperature sensor on each side of the TECs and a control loop to keep them from overheating and slagging the prototypes.  I’d probably have a heat exchanger unit with a plane about 1.5 m x 0.25 m  consisting of two metal heat spreaders with fins on to exchange heat to/from the air, and TECs between the planes and expanding foam filling the air gaps; nylon bolts holding the planes together. Mount 10 deg from vertical for condensate to run off and plumb a drain in.  Intake air from up high and outlet holes along the hot side - bigger holes lower down for the reduced air pressure (assuming fans at the top).  Put these fixed on 3 sides and on a door on the fourth.

Errr... 🤔 Think I'll stick to a towel, thanks

In reply to wintertree:

We have a skylight in our loo, at one point I thought of screwing a couple of cheap fan heaters to the side of the 'shaft' which goes up to the roof window facing down so they blasted hot air at anyone who stood underneath.   Wife declined planning consent.

https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/igenix-fan-heater-ig9010-2000w-white-p-m...

Post edited at 15:25
 Timmd 18 Sep 2020

I dare say towels are greener? A towel which has gone rough can be a nice experience I find, in helping to wake me up.

Post edited at 15:26
 Blue Straggler 18 Sep 2020

Admit it, you just want to be Sting in Dune!

youtube.com/watch?v=0jSPcQNy6uk&

Using Wintertree’s proposed heat recovery system maybe you could heat your house by drying and cooling people. I think I saw an advert on the internet for hot wet women. I appreciate that the thermodynamics of this might not actually work. 

deepsoup 18 Sep 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Wife declined planning consent.

Disappointing.  But you seem to have forgotten to explain why it's all the fault of the English.

Blue Straggler 18 Sep 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

> Disappointing.  But you seem to have forgotten to explain why it's all the fault of the English.

At least twice in a day!

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/off_belay/cats_and_birds-725120?v=1#x9291...

Timmd 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

If I'd had the direction of my country taken in a different direction to that of the majority of voters, by another government/country, I'd probably be 'grumph' like him as well.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Admit it, you just want to be Sting in Dune! youtube.com/watch?v=0jSPcQNy6uk&

You know me quite well .

It had popped into my mind when thinking about examples in sci-fi of such a device.  

I'll need a supply of baby oil for after , help lock in some moisture .  

Sting does look fantastic in that film I'd have to say.  Credit where credit is due.

TWS

wintertree 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> I dare say towels are greener? A towel which has gone rough can be a nice experience I find, in helping to wake me up.

I'm not convinced.  Towels need regular laundry (chemicals, water, energy) and drying (energy, tumble dryer).

A good heat recovery and condensing air drying chamber could replace a tumble dryer with pop-out laundry racks so replaces a domestic appliance (and the embodied carbon) as well as removing the need to manufacture, transport or launder towels.

I imagine the first mars settlements will use something like this - recover the water, minimal energy, can be hygienically shared unlike towels so reduces the amount of stuff to be shipped from earth side.

wintertree 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> Errr... 🤔 Think I'll stick to a towel, thanks

You're not going to like my plan to save money and energy by omitting light switches then!  I reckoned that LED bulbs are so efficient, the cost of the additional wiring, socket box, socket, paint and so on is sufficient that you'd have to turn the bulb off for 12 hours a day for several years to recover the cost of adding switches...

bouldery bits 18 Sep 2020

I can't say I've ever consider using a towel overly onerous. 

In reply to wintertree:

> If you could use ducted fans with blades designed for a static pressure head, you could duct the air over some thermoelectric devices to cool/dehumidify/heat it.  This saves energy by scavenging the latent heat of evaporation from the moisture in the air.

Ha, that took me back many years to my youth when as part of a job I had to go into for maintenance a small such industrial sized ducted fan system for bulk drying purposes. Years ahead of it’s time maybe 😉; it used “waste” heat to warm and dehumidify air.

Not that I knew or know the science but it felt a surreal experience that I remember being in the air flow of high output fans, with marginally dried and warmed air, as working on static pressure head there felt very little flow!! Probably more clout that the OP mentioned.

Timmd 18 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> I'm not convinced.  Towels need regular laundry (chemicals, water, energy) and drying (energy, tumble dryer).

> A good heat recovery and condensing air drying chamber could replace a tumble dryer with pop-out laundry racks so replaces a domestic appliance (and the embodied carbon) as well as removing the need to manufacture, transport or launder towels.

> I imagine the first mars settlements will use something like this - recover the water, minimal energy, can be hygienically shared unlike towels so reduces the amount of stuff to be shipped from earth side.

I don't have a tumble dryer, but I wasn't entirely sure, hence the 'I dare say?' tone. The heat recovery element would be the key. 

wintertree 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> Years ahead of it’s time maybe 😉; it used “waste” heat to warm [...]

You’d think that it was ahead of its time... Until recently I worked in a build that, in winter, simultaneously ran a ~100 kW gas boiler for the radiator based central heading and used over 40 kW of electricity to reject around 100 kW from servers and high power lab equipment to the outside air.  That was a microcosm of the whole site which I estimated used over 0.5 MW of electricity to reject 1 MW of heat from servers etc to the atmosphere whilst burning gas for a similar level of heating.

If I was boss I’d have built an outdoor swimming pool and used that to cool the servers, a great facility for the students and locals alike.

The UK has some weird aversion to district heating and to reusing “waste” heat.

Post edited at 22:31
 wintertree 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> I don't have a tumble dryer, but I wasn't entirely sure, hence the 'I dare say?' tone. The heat recovery element would be the key. 

Washing machines aren’t the best.  It grinds my gears that about 95% by weight of washing powder is bulking agent for some ludicrous reason.  Then there’s the environmental cost of shipping their giant concrete stabilising weights around; there was some project to replace those with empty tanks filled with water on first use...

I’m a great believer that “the best part is no part” - so no towel is better than a towel.  Air drying only takes a few minutes even without blowers or heated, dehumidifies blowers.  If the air dryer is also a bathroom (or indeed whole house, with appropriate air ducting) dehumidifier and winter clothes dryer you start to get global savings...

Timmd 18 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree: I'm sure you're right. the technology could seem to exist already, with us still living in a 20th century style.

I quite like Ecover laundry liquid, it's (obviously enough ) not a powder with bulking agent in it, and I use it for washing up liquid, and for house cleaning too, it's benign enough for most purposes.

Edit: An eccentric lady a brother knew, had a kitchen light which you had to make a loud noise to turn on, with your lights in mind. I suppose it might have been a security feature?

Post edited at 22:38
 Ridge 18 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> You're not going to like my plan to save money and energy by omitting light switches then!  I reckoned that LED bulbs are so efficient, the cost of the additional wiring, socket box, socket, paint and so on is sufficient that you'd have to turn the bulb off for 12 hours a day for several years to recover the cost of adding switches...

Actually that makes a lot of sense.

In reply to wintertree:

> You're not going to like my plan to save money and energy by omitting light switches then!  I reckoned that LED bulbs are so efficient, the cost of the additional wiring, socket box, socket, paint and so on is sufficient that you'd have to turn the bulb off for 12 hours a day for several years to recover the cost of adding switches...

You get the best of both worlds with Philips Hue (or the cheaper copies).  No wiring for switches and far more flexible control.   It's nice to be able to say things like 'Computer turn all the lights off' when you go out or go to bed.

Philip 19 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

You can get washing tablets by post that are much more concentrated.

The latest tumble dryers have heat pumps, mine emits only room temperature dry air, significantly better than the previous condenser machines that output hot dry air.

john arran 19 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

We have a stairwell leading up to a couple of apartments, with light switches at the top and bottom. It's unbelievable how many people leave the lights on, and for a while I had a plan to replace the switches with a timer control, but it didn't happen quickly due to the need to rewire it.

Then LED bulbs became cheap enough and I started using those. I roughly estimated that it would take several years of people leaving the light on almost permanently before it would have saved the cost in time/labour of rewiring.

Still really irritates me though, that folk can't turn light off after themselves, but it's no doubt something we'll have to get used to now that the energy wastage is so marginal, people no longer think it's a big deal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...