Northwest Scotland in December, how busy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red Rover 08 Nov 2021

I've got some time off in December and I'm wondering about going to Scotland. I plan to drive up the west coast to Durness and back, going via Oban, Skye and Ullapool etc. How busy do people think it will be? I've read that Scotland, especially the NC500 area has been packed with people and vans since the virus started but how's it looking in winter? I'd like to stay in hotels or BnBs or as a last resort sleeping in the car in a campsite, are places full right now or is it looking OK?

Cheers

Graeme G 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

I tried to book accommodation in November. It was fully booked. I wouldn’t expect December to be any different.

Bulls Crack 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

It's a lot busier than previously but you can only find out by checking out the booking sites

henwardian 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

Unless you are talking about over Christmas, Dec should not be busy at all. A lot of tourist accommodation shuts completely during the winter but I would think there will be enough places open that you can still find somewhere to stay without too much trouble.

Tricky part is that now that international travel restrictions have recently been freed up somewhat, there are a fair number of people coming to the NW from overseas, whether that will continue apace in Dec is probably impossible to tell - just another of the unknowable knock-on effects of covid.

I'm on Skye and what I can say is that bookings have dropped significantly coming into November. I was pretty full in October (80%) but now have a lot of space (looking like maybe 40% occupancy). I will be closed from 1st Dec onwards. Of the two neighbours that I speak to regularly, 1 closed their bnb a couple of weeks back and the other will stop taking bookings for their challet for most of the winter.

I guess Jan and Feb are probably slightly less busy than Dec but I can't imagine that you will be avoiding the madding crowds.

ScraggyGoat 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

Nearly all campsites will be closed.  It will be quiet. You will need to book and plan your itinerary in advance as most BnBs will have closed, and many Hotels and smaller Cafes /restaurants will have done as well.

But it will be possible.

In reply to Red Rover:

Getting very  quiet now in Gairloch and Torridon. Most campsites now closed for winter so  big reduction in campervans on the road. Accomodation  is a problem in winter because so much is closed not because it's particularly busy..

OP Red Rover 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

OK thanks everyone I'll see if I can book anything. 

Tringa 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

As other have said it is possible with a little planning. It is easy enough to find hotels/B&Bs online and then its just checking if they are available when you want them.

I spend quite a bit of time in the Gairloch area and this year has been busier than usual. I was last there in mid October and while it wasn't rammed with motorhomes, there were more than I'd expected. Similarly with the local hotels - more cars outside than usual for this time of year.

If you book in advance you should be fine.

The weather could/will be interesting, anything from hours of rain(with a bit of snow thrown in) to brilliant sunshine.

Have a great time.

Dave

colinakmc 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

I’m just back from a (non adventuring) weekend in Mull; the ferry was reasonably busy as was our hotel but virtually everything on the island closed for the winter at the end of October. Be aware of that when thinking about what you expect to find activity-wise.

OP Red Rover 09 Nov 2021
In reply to colinakmc:

Thanks. I'm not really bothered about activities it would just be nice to explore a bit, or just sit inside somewhere nice if there's 100 mph winds. A bit of fishing would be nice though so hopefully the charter boats will still be running. 

Harry Jarvis 09 Nov 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

> A bit of fishing would be nice though so hopefully the charter boats will still be running. 

I wouldn't make any assumptions like that. Turning up to the NW in December and hoping for the best is not a good policy.  

OP Red Rover 09 Nov 2021
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

I wasn't assuming anything I said hopefully. I don't have any plan as I have some unexpected time off work and can't go abroad so I'm happy just to drive around and have a look. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...