Northern Lights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 19 Mar 2023

I've just caught sight of the northern lights in the recent Top Ten - lovely shots !

In all the years I frequented Scotland this was never evident. Has anyone else seen them before this winter ? Why are they visible now ?

Doug 19 Mar 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

20 plus years since I lived in Scotland but I remember seeing the Northern Lights, particularly when I lived in Strathspey & before that in Argyll. But I also remember one very vivid display (mid 1980s) which was visible from the centre of Aberdeen, and amazing once outside the city (at the time I was staying near Balmedie).

Can't remember the details but they are linked to solar activity (eg sunspots) which has a cycle of something like 20 years, with more lights when solar activity is high.

Post edited at 09:10
 felt 19 Mar 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

> Has anyone else seen them before this winter ? 

I watched Local Hero once?

girlymonkey 19 Mar 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

I have seen them from Stirling a couple of times, maybe about 5 or 6 years ago. 

I think now we maybe hear about it more as everyone is well connected and have cameras in pockets at all times.

Robert Durran 19 Mar 2023
In reply to felt:

> > Has anyone else seen them before this winter ? 

> I watched Local Hero once?

The best moment in the best film ever made.

"It's red all over":   youtube.com/watch?v=KiNSCKtfVos&  

Post edited at 09:34
 JCurrie 19 Mar 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

Have seen them from Aberdeen, Skye, St Andrews, Carlisle… First time was whilst camped beside the CIC in the early 90s.

Ignoring a polarity reversal, the sun follows an 11 year cycle of maximum activity. With some excellent aurora forecasting sites and camera phones in pockets, people can easily be outside at the right time. 

DaveHK 19 Mar 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

> The best moment in the best film ever made.

We went to Pennan a couple of years back and I phoned my mum from the phone box. It seemed to be the thing to do!

jonny taylor 19 Mar 2023
In reply to JCurrie:

And digital enhancement of photos makes them look more impressive than they are. Lots of disappointed people standing around outside the other week, which is a shame given what an amazing phenomenon it is

Robert Durran 19 Mar 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I think now we maybe hear about it more as everyone is well connected and have cameras in pockets at all times.

It is actually possible to see them pretty regularly in a dark sky in Scotland, but they are usually pretty dim and easily missed. Also don't be fooled by all the photos of the recent display. It was exceptional, but the colours come out far, far more vivid on a camera sensor than as perceived by the human eye (in low light we more or less see in black and white). An "honest" photographer wanting to reflect what they actually saw would have seriously turned down the colour saturation (though I think you can bet that many will have cranked it up!).

JCurrie 19 Mar 2023
In reply to jonny taylor:

True. The only time I have seen colours with the naked eye was that first time on Ben Nevis. Greens and reds both evident. Even the amazing display on Skye that silhouetted the Cuillin as a I walked in for an attempt on the ridge traverse was colourless to my eyes. These photos are from a year or two back during a display that was unimpressive by comparison.

Billhook 19 Mar 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

I worked in the Shetlands and they were relatively common sight.  I've seen them in Scotland whilst snow-holing in the hills.  They are not always bright enough to see if you, for example you live in the middle of a town.

As J Currie mentions, they follow an 11 year cycle where you get increased solar flares.  This cycle also affects HF radio propagation with the result that longer distance HF communications get increasingly easier to achieve.

Fiona Reid 19 Mar 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

I've seen them quite a few times since 2004/05. The best show was from 2004 or 5 straight from our house in Edinburgh. I believe it was one of the storms visible as far south as Athens. Some pics here:

https://prog99.com/Stuff/Aurora%20Edinburgh%202004-2005/index.html

Now I live up in the Highlands and can be in pitch dark with a clear view north within 5 minutes walk of my house.  I've seen them 4 times in the last year. They are visible fairly often but getting clear skies and the storm coinciding with darkness doesn't always work out. 

Tringa 19 Mar 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

Yes I've seen them a few times over about 10 years or so from Gairloch and nearby. So far the only colour I have seen with the naked eye is green and often only white pillars of light at a time you know there should be no light in the sky.

I think a number of photos online of the lights are enhanced but even without enhancements digital sensors are far better at recording the light than the human eye.

Dave

Mike Peacock 19 Mar 2023
In reply to Doug:

Yes, we started a new solar cycle a few years ago, and solar activity is ramping up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle_25

Fiona Reid 19 Mar 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Like most folks I crank up the exposure when photographing them but if it's a strong storm you will see the colours. 

The most vivid I've seen with my eyes were up in Arctic Norway.  Basically what you could see was what the camera showed, there was a big swirl of pink and green. 

In Scotland the colours are less common but you do still get them. Mostly you'll see a white glow and lines of light with the naked eye. 

If it's a big storm though you will see the colours albeit a lot more faintly than in the Arctic. 

JimR 19 Mar 2023
In reply to Fiona Reid:

I remember well standing on the doorstep of our house in Cumnock, Ayrshire watching an amazing display with great sweeping curtains and rods of light. The whole street was out watching. We left Cumnock in 1964 so it must have been before then. I can also remember similar around the the same time seeing them from my grandparents house in Morngside, Edinburgh where the display was spectacularly visible despite the city lights.

OP LeeWood 19 Mar 2023
In reply to tout la monde:

Seems like I've missed out big time - no chance of seeing them from SW France

Are they ever seen south of the scottish border ?

deepsoup 19 Mar 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

> Are they ever seen south of the scottish border ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64782372

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...