North West Ambulance Service

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 20 Aug 2021

Am I right in thinking we have a couple of paramedics on here from the North West Ambulance service? If so, are you in the BBC programme where they follow crews? 

What an amazing job the paramedics do. Some really moving scenes too. Well done to all, whether you are on the TV or not!!

bridgstarr 20 Aug 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I am not generally one for emotions, but I felt pretty sad after watching that. It must have been desperate for the crews.

OP girlymonkey 20 Aug 2021
In reply to bridgstarr:

Yes, some really hard situations. I shed some tears. 

And then the hilarious dotted through it like the Elvis clock and the lady offering a steak to the paramedic! 

They must need those laughs so badly!

Stichtplate 20 Aug 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Am I right in thinking we have a couple of paramedics on here from the North West Ambulance service? If so, are you in the BBC programme where they follow crews? 

You are correct. Luckily I was only caught on camera on one job and I sincerely hope the footage remains unaired. I really don’t want to be on the telly.

As an aside, most of us find the series a little bland and saccharine. A warts and all version would be a damn sight more enlightening as well as far more entertaining.

OP girlymonkey 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

I presume they don't refer to you as Stichtplate if you do end on air?!

What sorts of "warts" would you show?

I'd say for a member of the general public, it doesn't feel too saccharine. The way certain situations get to some of the paramedics really tugged at my heart strings. I guess it's maybe different when you are in the service and deal with these situations all the time. 

I think you are all incredible! I reckon I could cope with many of the situations in the moment, but would struggle after. I think I would be an emotional wreck at the end of every shift!

The New NickB 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

There was a series about 20 years ago was following Police around various British towns. A mate of mine was on it as a young Constable attending a crime in Oldham. He is a Chief Inspector these days, be we still regularly take the piss out of his long forgotten (by most) TV stardom.

In reply to girlymonkey:

I didn’t watch the programme, but I have got my own reasons to be thankfully for the NWAS. I had an incident a few weeks ago where I passed out in the bathroom, hitting my head in the process, got up after a short time unconscious told my wife I was fine and promptly passed out again on the landing*.

My wife insisted on calling an ambulance, I had to wait a whilst as they are understandably mad busy at the moment, but they were brilliant when they got to me. Did lots of checks and made sure I was OK. Ultimately, I didn’t go to hospital, which was completely my choice, but I was glad to have been checked over.

* Not the first time this has happened and I’ve all sorts of tests over the years, no one is really sure what triggers it precisely, but likely a response to an external stimulus such as infection or heat.

Stichtplate 20 Aug 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> What sorts of "warts" would you show?

The really grim jobs, the really filthy homes, the really mad/bad/sad patients, the in depth clinical discussions crews often have driving away from a job, the hugely funny/dysfunctional/pitch black discussions crews often have driving away from a job (totally unbroadcastable as the service wouldn't allow it, the public wouldn't understand it and the beeb couldn't stomach it). What you get on the screen is a lamb vindaloo that's absent most of the lamb and all of the chilies.

> I'd say for a member of the general public, it doesn't feel too saccharine. The way certain situations get to some of the paramedics really tugged at my heart strings. I guess it's maybe different when you are in the service and deal with these situations all the time. 

Editing and lots of direction, "could you just say that again for the camera but this time...". What really gets to crews is often unexplainable, unfilmable (at least in any way that'd make sense) and just isn't what you'd expect. You get hardened to lots of stuff but things slip through the armour.

> I think you are all incredible! I reckon I could cope with many of the situations in the moment, but would struggle after. I think I would be an emotional wreck at the end of every shift!

Really not. It's just a job. I'm sure every jet fighter pilot goes into training thinking they're about to live Top Gun, a few years in and climbing into the cockpit is just like any other ordinary Joe settling down at their office workstation.

Yanis Nayu 20 Aug 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

Vasovagal?

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Vasovagal?

Just googled. Possibly. I’ll discuss with my GP next time I see him.

Yanis Nayu 20 Aug 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

My wife gets them from time to time - really knock her about. The last time she had one she was really bad; in hospital for a few days, brain scans etc. Hope you get it sorted. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...