Nokia/Microsoft Lumia 930 strangeness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 07 Feb 2019

I've had an old Lumia 640LTE as a kind of "burner" phone (really more of a little Spotify media hub TBH, with some bonus web browsing). Have sold it on to a friend who needed a cheap phone to take out running etc. 
Decided on a whim to treat myself to a Lumia 930 (I kind of like the Windows phone interface) as it didn't cost much more, has more internal memory, and a better camera. 

It is behaving in a weird and annoying manner though. 

1) won't accept my Facebook login via the factory-installed Facebook app
2) app store doesn't seem to include stuff I was able to install on the 640 last October like Facebook or Yahoo mail
3) trying to install Spotify from the App Store, it demands a login with a Microsoft Account. Now I do have such a thing from years ago when I had a 920 as my actual main phone and was forced to set one up, but the account details are long lost and seemingly irretrievable. In any case, if I click to log in OR to create a new account, I get a "Sorry, we couldn't connect. Try later" (I have a strong connection to WiFi in my office
4) I can log in to FB via Explorer but it holds the page on screen for 3 seconds then closes it

I had no issues with the 640, I in fact sang its praises on here a few times.
Why should the 930 be any different? Very puzzling. I've done one factory reset but I think it arrived having had a factory reset done. 
It was bought from a seller on that auction site, I don't think I have a case for a refund as the phone turns on and works as sold, these issues are surely Microsoft and apps issues.

Thanks

wercat 07 Feb 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

This can happen when someone is murdered and their phone sold on on Ebay.  A part of the victim's soul lives on caught in the phone trying to tell the world what happened ...

Don't be in on your own with it

Post edited at 18:41

Could it be related to the fact that Microsoft abandoned the phone market 18 months ago, and apps aren't being updated?

Luke90 07 Feb 2019

The common thread in all your issues is that they involve the software on the phone interacting with cloud services. The phone software hasn't been updated in years and the cloud services have moved on. If you search around on the internet, you might find some gathering place where obsessive geeks are making an effort to keep those old things running and can advise you but I think it's unlikely you'll get very far with it.

In reply to Luke90:

But what is puzzling is that I set up a Lumia 640 last October no problem 

In reply to captain paranoia:

Apps aren’t being updated but they still exist and at least spotify shows as an app in the App Store. And as mentioned a couple of times, in October 2018 I had no issues installing FB, Yahoo mail and Spotify on a 640, and all were running fine through the last four months 

Are the two phones running the same version of Windows Phone? Are they the same processor?

There are so many potential compatibility issues with operating systems and apps, even with operating systems that are extant; iOS and Android, and old versions and compatibility with apps. There are apps I can't install on my old Hudl because its Android 4.2 is not compatible.

Thanks, I am not sure. Windows version for sure is something I will need to look into. Was not anticipating hassle as the two 640s I’ve had were smooth . The 640 is gone now, sold. 

Post edited at 23:38

Thanks for your input and apologies if I looked defensive, this was merely confusion due to the 640 posing no issues relatively recently. 

I am initiating an return to auction-site seller. There is a chance that they will reject the return as the phone was described as "all key functions operable", and it DOES work as a phone, but at least I can try. They are commercial so will probably just automate the return and refund process. At worst, I have a spare phone with a nice camera on it, and some sort of lesson learned! It does have 32Gb internal memory but it is pretty tricky to feed files into these things (I tried with the 640, gave up, and just popped a micro SD of mp3s and a couple of movies into it, and filled the internal memory with Spotify downloads). The 930 won't take a micro SD. 

I've spent too much time on this already. 

Cheers

Removed User 08 Feb 2019

I've got a Nokia as well, maybe a 930 even.

The installed Facebook app stopped working some time ago but I was still able to access FB via the browser. However that's also stopped recently. It opens FB but then immediately boots me out. I assume it's just down to the elderly and unsupported OS.

That and other issues mean I'll be changing to an Android phone later this year.

In reply to Removed User:

What Windows version are you on? I wonder whether my 640 was on Windows 10. The 930 was on 8.1 and it was impossible to try and upgrade. 

Removed User 08 Feb 2019

Just checked.

Win 8.1 on a Lumia 830.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...