Nobel peace prize

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 earlsdonwhu 09 Sep 2020

I see Trump has been nominated for the Nobel prize. There have, in my eyes at least, been some dodgy winners in the past but a  Trump win would leave a bitter taste .

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Absurd!

mondite 09 Sep 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

He is one of 318 candidates. The restrictions on who can nominate are fairly minimal (be nice to any of the academics on here and you could get a nomination so long as they are a professor) so its pretty routine in this case was done by a politician. That said as US presidents go he has been on the less mess up other countries as opposed to the US so guess could try that line.

Post edited at 13:55
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

It is a broad spectrum of people who can be nominators for the Nobel Prize and it goes to show that the spectrum of nominees is exorbitantly broader:

Qualified nominators

Revised September 2016

According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, a nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person who falls within one of the following categories:

Members of national assemblies and national governments (cabinet members/ministers) of sovereign states as well as current heads of states

Members of The International Court of Justice in The Hague and The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague

Members of l’Institut de Droit International

Members of the international board of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom

University professors, professors emeriti and associate professors of history, social sciences, law, philosophy, theology, and religion; university rectors and university directors (or their equivalents); directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes

Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

Members of the main board of directors or its equivalent of organizations that have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

Current and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee (proposals by current members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after 1 February)

Former advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Committee

https://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Apparently, the absurd nomination was submitted by Christian Tybring-Gjedde, a right wing Norwegian politician.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Tybring-Gjedde

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

The Nobel Peace Prize would be rendered valueless if Trump were to get it. 

henwardian 09 Sep 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

It's fair to say that Trump isn't much of a warmonger in international terms (one of the few good things you can say about him probably). But I think you need to have actively brought about peace to be in with a good shout of a nobel peace prize rather than just avoided starting more wars. So I think it's extremely unlikely that he would win as as far as I know he hasn't made or meaningfully contributed to any peace treaties (though I could be wrong, Trump's successes don't seem to crop up in my flow of news but I suppose there must be some that I just don't see).

The New NickB 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> The Nobel Peace Prize would be rendered valueless if Trump were to get it. 

I think that hill was climbed in 1973.

OP earlsdonwhu 09 Sep 2020
In reply to henwardian:

In domestic terms he has done plenty to stir up division and hatred. 

Timmd 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> The Nobel Peace Prize would be rendered valueless if Trump were to get it. 

I don't at all like Trump, but I don't suppose Obama was much more worthy of it, not when one considers that the Dalai Lama has been awarded one?

Edit: Perhaps I'm being logically unsound in raising another person who may not have been a good recipient, towards questioning whether another person is such a bad choice, I think I probably am.

Post edited at 15:22
 henwardian 09 Sep 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> In domestic terms he has done plenty to stir up division and hatred. 

I know, I was talking about internationally.

Old Skooled 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Hahahaha. I'm eligible to make a nomination, something I didn't know before. Contemplating my choice right now. 

Removed User 09 Sep 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

he formed a deal with the Taliban, after 20 years policy of not negotiating with terrorists and minus the involvement of the elected Afghan government which the US had installed, which ok'd the release of hundreds of full time insurgents, ie not blackmailed farmers. this was done against the protests of several coalition countries due to a significant proportion of the released having attacked unarmed civilians and coalition forces. the insurgents were released, the peace deal lasted less than a week.

he doesnt deserve the Nobel he deserves the Haig.

FactorXXX 10 Sep 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Some context and perhaps a reason for people not to get their knickers in such a twist:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54092960
Though I expect some on UKC will froth at the mouth for evermore about the mere mention of Trump and the Nobel Peace Prize... 

Roadrunner6 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

Also how he treated the Kurds.. 

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Some context and perhaps a reason for people not to get their knickers in such a twist:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54092960

But comparing Trump with Hitler and Stalin is a little over the top for a leading public service broadcaster, don't you think?

bouldery bits 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Old Skooled:

> Hahahaha. I'm eligible to make a nomination, something I didn't know before. Contemplating my choice right now. 

Nominate me for my work on maintaining harmony on UKC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...