Nice little things

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 05 Dec 2021

Watching a flock of goldfinch and spotted a siskin amongst them. Then a goldcrest appeared. Then heard and saw a male bullfinch. But the best bit was a cracking view of a marsh tit. Blue and great tits a Robin and a wren.  Then heard a gs woodpecker. This was all within ten minutes. Later on, loads of redwings and a few fieldfare, two male sparrowhawks, 3 buzzards and a kestrel. 
A  few family groups of long tailed tits.  Cute as always. 

Slackboot 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Went for a walk around the river in pouring rain today. It was a bit grim but just great to be out. I saw three herons! or maybe it was one heron three times. Once it was stood on the path right in front of me. They are so big! Such great birds. Made a wet walk memorable.

In reply to Slackboot:

Herons are ace birds. Saw one today as well.  When you disturb one, they usually fly off a good distance, so good chance you saw at least one. 

Slackboot 05 Dec 2021

> Herons are ace birds. Saw one today as well.  When you disturb one, they usually fly off a good distance, so good chance you saw at least one. 

I have seen quite a few herons lately. Either they are more common than I thought or one is stalking me. I saw a Kingfisher for the first time recently too. They look far too colourful to be native. But a few years ago I saw a Hoopoe in the wood where I live in the North East. I thought it was an escaped parrot at first!

Post edited at 22:48
 Myfyr Tomos 05 Dec 2021

My bird feeders are being overrun by Jays. 7 of them bashing the nut feeders to bits and being very aggressive towards all other birds. Beautiful birds but,...

Bobling 05 Dec 2021

Gotta love a heron.  On a paddling trip up the Avon from Bristol we saw three in a line.  I can't help but think of pterodactyls when they fly!

Michael Hood 06 Dec 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

Hoopoe in the UK is a really good sighting. You'd think such a distinctive bird would always be easy to spot, but in their "native" habitat (dusty scrubland) they are incredibly well camouflaged.

Rob Exile Ward 06 Dec 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

I've just 'invested'(!) in a de luxe bird feeder that only smaller birds can perch on. Larger birds have to wait for the smaller birds to spill food.

Ridge 06 Dec 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

I saw a Hoopoe in our garden in Cumbria a few years back, like you I wondered what the hell it was.

Herons are absolutely everywhere around here, the pond-robbing ****s 😉

PaulJepson 06 Dec 2021

I saw a Yellow Wagtail at a South Wales crag yesterday. Apparently they should be in North Africa now but a few seem to be sticking around (climate change?). My ecologist friend said it probably not survive    

Tringa 06 Dec 2021

That is quite a haul, BC, I can imagine you were pleased.

A few years ago in NW Scotalnd while sitting overlooking Loch Gairloch I saw, in about half an hour, hooded crow, buzzard, raven, six whooper swans and two white tailed eagles.

Thought might as well put the binoculars away for a bit after that.

Dave

ring ouzel 06 Dec 2021

Went up Strathconon yesterday with a mate of mine who is getting into wildlife photography. Saw some nice stuff. Half a dozen goldeneye, flock of siskin, blue tits, cormorant, lots of grey heron, red kite, at least 15 buzzards, dipper, hooded crow and kingfisher. Plus several million red deer. A good day out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...