NHS Test & Trace Ping for non-UK residents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 08 Nov 2021

I had my first experience of NHS test and trace yesterday. I'm a permanent resident in France for the last 10 years but had to go back last Wednesday for a family emergency. 

Flying back to France yesterday I received three emails within an hour of each other telling me:

"NHS Test and Trace has identified you as a contact of someone who has recently tested positive for COVID-19. You must now stay at home and self-isolate for 10 days from the date of your last contact with them, unless you are exempt."

At first I thought it was a scam mail because there's no real detail - when was the contact? Where? Who with? Is this normal?

I can only assume this has come from the details on the passenger locator form which had details of my BA flight on Wednesday because apart from that there was nobody else (apart from close family) who I could have been in contact with and who could have got my details and I've already checked with them.

If I don't know when the contact was, or who it was, how am I meant to know when the 10 days should end (eg after my last contact with them)? 

Do all 200 people on the plane get pinged or is the system smart enough to only ping people sat in close proximity?

I believe I read anyway that full vaccinated people don't need to quarantine which seems to make the whole thing pointless.

Anyway I tried to go onto the website and create an account but it won't accept a non-UK address for me so I gave up. They have my phone number - I guess I'll get a call?

Interested to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks

Šljiva 08 Nov 2021
In reply to yorkshireman:

We had similar that could only have been from a flight - 8 days after the flight!  Three  messages in quick succession, and then radio silence. Ignored as vaccinated and well, 8 days later! 

OP yorkshireman 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Šljiva:

Thanks. I've started getting SMS now and was lucky I got the email while I w as flying as technically I have sign the French form to say I'm unaware of any contacts.

Might pop out for a test later just to be prudent. 

steve_gibbs 08 Nov 2021

The app doesn’t provide any detail, because the majority of intelligence in Test & Trace lies in making £37 billion disappear down a rabbit hole. Yes that’s £1,230 per tax payer for an app that anyone with an ounce of knowledge about GPS, Bluetooth and RF propagation in complex urban environments, will tell you simply doesn’t work. Shame it doesn’t provide detail on where our money went. When it does, then I’ll install it.

timjones 08 Nov 2021
In reply to steve_gibbs:

> The app doesn’t provide any detail, because the majority of intelligence in Test & Trace lies in making £37 billion disappear down a rabbit hole. Yes that’s £1,230 per tax payer for an app that anyone with an ounce of knowledge about GPS, Bluetooth and RF propagation in complex urban environments, will tell you simply doesn’t work. Shame it doesn’t provide detail on where our money went. When it does, then I’ll install it.

I'm not sure that the OP mentioned or is using the app.

NHS test and trace is not just about the app and can get in touch with you even if you don't use the app.

timjones 08 Nov 2021

I've experienced it from the other end when we were contacted by test and trace after our daughter tested positive.

They ask you a range of questions to identify where you may have been in contact with other people including any forms of public transport transport that you have used. Presumably if you mention a flight then either the airline or your PLF will be used to contact other people on that flight.  It is possible that it will only apply to passengers that were sat close to person who has tested positive, cabin crew seem keen to ensure that people don't swap seats during flights for this reason.

Based on our experience you would probably be exempt from isolation requirements in England if you are fully vaccinated but the rules may be different in France.

Mike Peacock 08 Nov 2021

I'm in Sweden but planning on visiting the UK soon so have been keeping an eye on the situation. Seems like lots of people have been contacted when someone on their flight tests positive, and been told to quarantine. This is despite these people being vaccinated, because the Test and Trace system apparently doesn't recognise non-British vaccinations. I've heard accounts from various people who have rung T+T and been told contrasting things, ranging from "you still have to quarantine" to "ignore it". People have been ignoring the quarantine order and flying back to Sweden and it seems like the systems aren't linked (i.e. no one is getting stopped at the airport and ordered back to quarantine). It's a mess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...