NHS Covid vaccine 2-3 weeks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 12 Nov 2020

Heard today we are likely to be offered the vaccine in 2-3 weeks! Much sooner than I expected!

My NHS Trust says we need to be 7 days minimum post flu jab but where my daughter works they are saying 28 days! Any other NHS staff heard anything?

Kemics 12 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Early december but the email was heavily caveated TBC**

Garston 12 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Asked at the beginning of the week to register if I wanted it but no more information than that so far. I’m working in Liverpool currently

In reply to abr1966:

We’ve been told that there will need to be a minimum 28 days between flu vaccine and Covid vaccine.

Dave the Rave 12 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

The word on the not too reliable grapevine is if you didn’t have the flu vaccine then you’re not getting the covid vaccine?

Roadrunner6 12 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Wow that's quick, here they also say 7 days after the second jab. But it will be the end of the year when we start, if not later. My wife's on a lower list as she's rarely in the ICU's so I think she's about the 3rd tier.

It sounds like Schools will get it in the spring so they can get all schools back in person for the next school year.

I think it will go out via schools pretty early because through the school nurses we can ensure the second jab is given. Many here will just get the first and not go back unless it was basically part of their work.

Removed User 13 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Judging by Matt Hancock's performance on Question Time tonight I would not hold my breath.

Dave B 13 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I wonder if i will get offered it, being a student on placement in the operating theatres.. 

No rumours from my wife as yet about her getting it. 

cwarby 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Oohh, we've not heard that! Might ask.

OP abr1966 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Dave B:

> I wonder if i will get offered it, being a student on placement in the operating theatres.. 

> No rumours from my wife as yet about her getting it. 

You should be I reckon....we have included any students or trainee's in our risk assessments etc...

jkarran 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> It sounds like Schools will get it in the spring so they can get all schools back in person for the next school year.

Staff or students?

I could see vulnerable school staff maybe making the first cut here but with doses for only 20M people it's going to be heavily rationed and while it will cut the death rate dramatically with social distancing and economic restrictions in place it doesn't look to me like being sufficient to lift them significantly since most doses will go to a fairly isolated subset of society (the very old) limiting the herd immunity effect and leaving a fair chunk of upper working age people (and ~2M of the vaccinated) exposed to a massive third wave.

I'll be very impressed if it is all signed of and rolled out for UK delivery in December. I really really hope nobody has been leaned upon on to cut corners here. Bungle this even slightly and the antivax loons will kill and cripple millions in the years to come with their gift, there's far more than 'solving' covid hanging on this.

jk

DancingOnRock 13 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

RR is in the US. 

jkarran 13 Nov 2020
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> RR is in the US. 

Yes. Their covid mess looks a lot like ours (widespread, severe, mismanaged), I was trying to understand if the UK/US vaccination approaches were diverging.

jk

Roadrunner6 13 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

Supposedly students too. It's just a good way to get people to vaccinate and reduce the spread. We have massive issues with vaccine uptake so through schools is a good way to use the infrastructure that's already there and get as many of the population vaccinated as we can.

I think staff first, in the second round after healthcare workers and at risk groups healthwise, then the essential workers who work with the public, then third round kids and others from schools. The schools are huge buildings not being used, with nurses employed. 

Post edited at 14:37
 RuthW 13 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

We were told possibly december too.

It was also said to need to be 28 days post flu jab and we were all encouraged to get the flu jab early for this reason.

Dave B 13 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

thanks abr

Monkeydoo 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Still no proof it's real never mind proof the vaccine works / it won't kill you !

Until then you crack on but you best leave me out of it ! 

Monkeydoo 14 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Oh few / have you left normal people out it ??? 

In reply to Monkeydoo:

Apart from the large scale research trials. 

Roadrunner6 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Yeah that, demonstrable proof of vaccines working in the past and general lack of side affects of vaccines..

But if we ignore the research, he's actually correct.

TBH people like Monkeydoo are no bad thing, shortens the queue for us to get it and be able to travel and get on with our lives. Slowly they'll come on board.. 

Kalna_kaza 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Monkeydoo:

> Still no proof it's real never mind proof the vaccine works / it won't kill you !

It's this sort of BS which has made the pandemic worse and harder to manage regardless of the government's incompetence.

The OP and multiple posters who work as health professionals deserve to be protected from Covid without idiotic comments denying it's existence.

jkarran 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

There's a fair chance Monkeydoo is another popup campaigner.

Jk

Billhook 14 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

"Heard today". ?  What on FB perhaps.  It hasn't even been approved yet - let alone manufactured in enough quantities.

jkarran 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Billhook:

Do you know that or think that? Pretty sure the point of governments unconditionally pre-buying doses was to get production moving in parallel with testing by them (us) bearing the risk. The whole consignment may not all be ready to go if it's approved but millions of doses should be.

Jk

Post edited at 22:04
OP abr1966 15 Nov 2020
In reply to Billhook:

Heard it in a the senior leadership team daily covid briefing...... in the nhs where I work.

Billhook 15 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.  (Remember all the PPE & the world class test 'N trace).

jkarran 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Billhook:

> Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.  (Remember all the PPE & the world class test 'N trace).

I'm not. That doesn't change the fact testing and production line development have been undertaken in parallel by a competent multinational, not by our inept government and their thieving cronies.

The government may yet bungle distribution and I hear from a mate close to this they're doing their damnedest to maintain their perfect record of covid fumbles. Still, I expect the adults in the room will eventually win out and we'll see a sensible delivery solution emerge.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...