Newspaper deliveries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
russellcampbell 24 Mar 2020

To my surprise my newspaper was delivered yesterday and today. I love having my newspaper delivered. My daily newspaper is important to me, mainly due to the crosswords and other puzzles. This especially important to me during the lock down.  However, I worry about the safety of the youngsters delivering  the newspapers during this terrible time. I wonder if cancelling my newspapers would stop newspaper deliveries. I also wonder how important the meagre money they earn is important to the newspaper deliverers. Would walking the 10 minutes to my newsagent every day to pick up my newspaper [I'd count this as my one piece of exercise allowed per day] be acceptable? - Would this risk spreading the virus more than having newspapers delivered? Should I stop buying newspapers altogether? [I would hate to have to do this.]   I'd welcome views on all this. - Polite ones I hope.

If I decide to have my newspapers delivered I'm going to give my paper boy a decent tip every week. I gave him one yesterday. I'm spending a lot less on other things just now. I'm going to be cheeky and suggest that people who have newspapers delivered consider weekly tipping, however small, while the lock down continues. The young folk who deliver newspapers are heroes.

Blue Straggler 24 Mar 2020
In reply to russellcampbell:

One newspaper delivery boy out for 1.5 hours, versus (say) 35 shoppers all going out for ten-twenty minutes each to get their paper. Which one sounds like a higher risk for spreading? Yes I know all 35 will go out for some exercise or some milk anyway, so I am just thinking “out loud” rather than declaring an “answer” as I am not 100% 

MG 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I'd say neither are essential.  Newspapers are all online so there is no need for these interactions.

mondite 24 Mar 2020

Depending where you live I would have thought delivering a paper is pretty risk free and counts as some free exercise. Bit of  a risk of germ transfer but have one person sort and pack the papers and stick the bag outside the door to pick up and there would be pretty much no human contact required.

Remembering way back to when I delivered papers since it was early morning only one or two dog walkers about and so easily avoided (although would have lost about quarter of my round since several assisted living places).

I would reckon safer to have it delivered than have people go to a small shop. With the exception if the youngster catches it and starts sneezing all over the papers they could infect a lot of people.

In reply to MG:

> I'd say neither are essential.  Newspapers are all online so there is no need for these interactions.

You're 100% correct. But from a selfish point of view I much prefer newspapers. Everybody would have to stop buying newspapers and go online for newspaper production / deliveries to stop.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Thanks. Views appreciated.

In reply to mondite:

Thanks. Views appreciated.

In reply to MG:

Forgot to thank you for your reply. I'm being sincere here. From now on I'll stop thanking posters but I appreciate all views.

MG 24 Mar 2020

Interestingly, the inside of an unread newspaper is one of the more sterile surfaces around.  So to stem serious bleeding not a bad option (top tip from my mother, a nurse).

J1234 24 Mar 2020

>  But from a selfish point of view I much prefer newspapers.

Now I am not a medic, but from a selfish point of view, no one can sneeze and snot all over my online newspaper, but they can on he outside of a paper one. Could that Newspaper be the thing that brings the infection into your house and kills you. 
From a selfish point of view, maybe online is the way ahead.

Yes I could be being paranoid or I maybe sensible, problem is I have no idea.

wercat 24 Mar 2020
In reply to J1234:

there is an argument for having a quarantine area for purchased goods - the virus persists for a number of days so stuff that does not have to be used immediately or put in the fridge  can be held for a few days to "defuse".

We really need to be vigilant about who or what is coming into the "safe area" of the house and not just be rule-obeyers for the sake of it.

I spent some time talking to one of the American Material Controls bosses in the Channel Tunnel Project office in 1990.  He told me a story of doing his "draft" service in a unit doing NBC equipment evaluation and testing in the very early 60s.

They went out on exercise one day ...   He woke up in hospital 3 weeks later and was still being medicated and tested regularly in 1990.   A pinprick hole in his suit had exposed him to the nerve agent in the exercise.  Being careful will not save us if we neglect simple common sense

Post edited at 11:00
 pec 24 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

> I'd say neither are essential.  Newspapers are all online so there is no need for these interactions.

For a lot of old people newspapers aren't online because they aren't. It's a useful way for them to keep up with things and a regular part of their daily life, helping them to maintain some normality and a sense of connection as well as passing the time.

I don't know how long the virus can survive on paper of course. Perhaps newspaper boys should wear gloves?

marsbar 24 Mar 2020
In reply to pec:

My mum seems to manage it.  She is in her 70s.  Maybe now is a good time to make these changes.  

In fact online might be better as she can zoom in.  

In reply to pec:

> For a lot of old people newspapers aren't online because they aren't. It's a useful way for them to keep up with things and a regular part of their daily life, helping them to maintain some normality and a sense of connection as well as passing the time.

> I don't know how long the virus can survive on paper of course. Perhaps newspaper boys should wear gloves?

My paper boy wears surgical gloves. The fellow who sorts out the newspapers in the shops has been wearing surgical gloves for months, long before the virus started in China.

pec 24 Mar 2020

> The fellow who sorts out the newspapers in the shops has been wearing surgical gloves for months, long before the virus started in China.

Perhaps he's allergic to news print?

In reply to marsbar:

Many people in their 70's were around when the computer revolution was taking off so associating lack of IT knowledge solely with age is not really fair.  We were the generation that bought Sinclair's and BBC computers.

Al

Blue Straggler 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Seems peculiar that you are directing your reply toward someone who is describing an older generation getting on fine with computers 

marsbar 24 Mar 2020

I absolutely don't think that.  My long gone grandad worked on early computers, he would be over 100 if he was still here. Mum and Dad when we were little got us a family zx81.  Both had used mainframes at work in one form or another before that.  

Reading the paper on a tablet or laptop is straightforward that's all I'm trying to say.  Anyone who can use his forum can use an online newspaper.  

marsbar 24 Mar 2020

Sorry for going slightly off topic.  

Why do you prefer a real newspaper?  I used to prefer real books but for travel and storage e readers are great. 

I didn't think that one through did I?

Al

marsbar 24 Mar 2020

It's a good point in general.  

In reply to marsbar:

> Sorry for going slightly off topic.  

> Why do you prefer a real newspaper?  I used to prefer real books but for travel and storage e readers are great. 

1. I buy the "I" mainly for the crosswords and puzzles. I have tried doing crosswords, Sudoku, etc on line and can't do them. Need to scribble down words, numbers, etc. Is it possible to buy newspapers online and print out the crosswords, etc?

2. I really like my local newsagent and want to support him. I enjoy having a chat with him [if he is there] and I am popping in to pay the papers.

When it comes to books I can't ever see myself going over to storage e readers. I hardly ever travel away from home [apart from day trips by car for hill walking] and love the physical feel of books. In Stirling we are lucky to have great charity shops which sell almost new books for a fraction of the cost. I like the idea of contributing to charity while getting a bargain at the same time.

Anyway, in these desperate times I can be persuaded to change. Sorry for the cliche but stay safe.

oldie 24 Mar 2020
In reply to pec:

> I don't know how long the virus can survive on paper of course. Perhaps newspaper boys should wear gloves? <

I think its supposed to be up to about 24hr on soft surfaces and 72 on hard. The gloves will stop virus getting on hands but presumably one is still liable to touch mouth/nose/eyes with the gloves which is the dangerous bit, so presumably handwashing after the round and trying not to touch face is almost as good,

RomTheBear 24 Mar 2020

> To my surprise my newspaper was delivered yesterday and today. I love having my newspaper delivered.

Nice, so even in the apocalypse you can get your daily fix of bullshit and lies delivered straight to your door !

marsbar 24 Mar 2020

Good point it's much easier to do a puzzle on paper.  I hadn't thought of that.  I would think its possible to print them out. 

russellcampbell 25 Mar 2020
In reply to RomTheBear:

> Nice, so even in the apocalypse you can get your daily fix of bullshit and lies delivered straight to your door !

You really are a nasty piece of work! You have quoted the first two sentences of my post and ignored the rest. 

Here are the sentences you quote. "To my surprise my newspaper was delivered yesterday and today. I love having my newspaper delivered." Quoted alone, these sentences give the impression that I am a totally hedonistic selfish individual.

You fail to quote the next few sentences of my post.
" However, I worry about the safety of the youngsters delivering  the newspapers during this terrible time. I wonder if cancelling my newspapers would stop newspaper deliveries. I also wonder how important the meagre money they earn is important to the newspaper deliverers."

I have just come back from my newsagents after cancelling my newspaper deliveries as of now. I explained to my newsagent that my conscience no longer allowed me to sit at home having newspapers delivered while my paperboy was putting himself at risk for my convenience. I should probably have done this a few days ago. My original post was to find out the views of people on this forum to help me make up my mind.  

"I also wonder how important the meagre money they earn is important to the newspaper deliverers." My newsagent explained that he had contacted the parents of all the paperboys and they had all given their permission for them to continue to deliver the papers. 

RomTheBear. I have read some of your many, many posts in other threads. I used to think that some of the replies to your posts were a bit harsh. Now I think I understand.

In reply to marsbar:

> Good point it's much easier to do a puzzle on paper.  I hadn't thought of that.  I would think its possible to print them out. 

Thanks. Looking into an online subscription. 

RomTheBear 25 Mar 2020

Wow, didn’t expect such a strong reaction !

Just to be clear, this was no more than a light hearted joke about the « quality » of British printed press, it wasn’t a personal attack or even a criticism of your post of any sort. Apologies if it was interpreted as such.

Post edited at 09:24

If you are only interested in puzzles, why not download the free ones online, and print those if you want paper copies?

In reply to John Stainforth:

Thanks. I'll look into it.

In reply to RomTheBear:

Fair enough. I take back what I said.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...