New York, New York

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 18 Mar 2018

So good that, er .... I've never been   But I will shortly be remedying that situation.

I have five days to spend in the Big Apple and have been doing a little research into things to see and do whilst there, and to be frank its a bit bewildering with so many options to fit into a relatively short time. 

Sooo, perhaps some of you NYC regulars (and irregulars) might like to suggest a few must-do things to add to the list.

Your thoughts as always are much appreciated.

profitofdoom 18 Mar 2018
In reply to GravitySucks:

From memory after 7 trips, I enjoyed these:

Circle Line (boat trip)

9/11 memorial

Walk down Wall Street and Fifth Avenue & generally round Manhatten

Central Park

Statue of Liberty

Rockefeller Plaza

Empire State Building

(Don't bother with Staten Island - the boat trip looks good but the one to the Statue of Liberty is just as good)

Hope you have lots of fun

MG 18 Mar 2018

Oddly, I recommend Grand Central station. A remarkable building, free and loads of.good food stalls downstairs.

Blue Straggler 18 Mar 2018

I last went there in early November 2001. i.e. 7 weeks after 9/11 My recommendation to "visit the still-smouldering wreckage" may not be relevant any longer...

A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is worth it IMHO I liked the slightly Bohemian feel to the area around Washington Square and Bleecker Street. 

I have a fondness for the look of the Woolworth Building. 

I was only there for two rushed weekends that time (bookending a conference in Atlantic City)

Post edited at 11:47
 wintertree 18 Mar 2018

The USS Intrepid - aircraft carrier museum ship.

Fredt 18 Mar 2018

I've been several times, visiting my son and grandchildren.

I'll list the things we always do, every visit, time permitting:

Walk the Highline.

Rockefeller Centre is better view than Empire State, because you can see the Empire State.

Get to Battery, and walk the length of 5th Avenue to Times Square, all human life is here!

Walk through Chinatown and Little Italy, while it still exists.

Visit Grand Central.

Cycle round Central Park.

Visit Eataly, buy a coffee to drink in Madison Square Park viewing the Flatiron.

All the little parks a great for a coffee, Union Square, Madison Park, Washington Square Park, Bryant.

paulcarey 18 Mar 2018

Walk along the Brooklyn seafront opposite lower Manhattan

DUMBO

Chrysler building lobby area. You can just wander in and the art deco stuff is well worth it. 

Coney island if you want to get out of the big city for a bit.

Blue Straggler 18 Mar 2018
In reply to paulcarey:

> Coney island if you want to get out of the big city for a bit.

Waaaaaarioorrrrrrs

come out and plaaaaaayyyy

Gone for good 18 Mar 2018

I was there a few weeks ago. 

Don't get City Bike. There are cheaper and more flexible alternatives.

Do ride or run round Central Park. It's a magnificent piece of land in the middle of Manhattan mayhem.

Go to the Metropolitan museum of art.

The 9 11 memorial is very sobering but well worth an hour of quiet reflection.

Walk the highline to Downtown then onto to Battery Park then walk across the Brooklyn bridge and back to Times Square via any route you desire.  All roads lead North.

Go to Times Square at night.  It's madness.

Go to an Irish bar. The Guinness is very good.

I was there for 4 days and walked about 60 miles.  It' a great city for walking around. 

Visit the Empire State building. Magnificent 1930s architecture and marvel at how they managed to build it in one year. 

It's a great city. I hope you enjoy it.

Post edited at 16:17

Go bouldering in Central Park (Rat Rock is only bit I've been to). Just for the novelty if nothing else.

Loads of good places to eat, depends what you're into. Nom Wah Tea Parlour, Katz's Deli, Russ & Daughters are our favourites. 

I'll email you a super-list from a friend with some quirky stuff.

deepstar 18 Mar 2018
 plyometrics 18 Mar 2018

As a tourist, my advice would be....

Enjoy chips and beer at the bar of the one world observatory.

Run / walk the high line  

visit Central Park 

catch the free ferry to Staten Island  

cross brooklyn bridge at first light

do a bus tour (great way to see more of the city)

eats: 

Dinner at 5 napkin burger

Lunch at Sadelle’s

Brekkers at Bubby’s

Avoid:

Times Square

Last of all, make sure you’ve got plenty of money...!

OP GravitySucks 19 Mar 2018
In reply to all:  My apologies for not getting back to you all for your interesting suggestions, I got a little snowed under yesterday  

Plenty to consider there, it could be a busy few days but like NYC, there's no need to sleep !

All other suggestions still welcome.

Lots of good suggestions above. 

Metropolitan museum is fantastic. Run/walk/cycle round central park.

One I haven't seen above that was probably the highlight of my trip was the trip up to the viewing platform on one world trade center. (The building that has replaced the twin towers). I usually much prefer natural landscapes, but the view from there is breathtaking and fascinating. If you go up an hour or so before sunset you can watch the sunset then stay and watch the lights come in across the city. One of the most spectacular things I have seen in my life.

peter-l 19 Mar 2018

We got a 'New York Pass' and found that it was good value for money.

Carry ID with you.....we got knocked back by a rooftop cocktail bar despite obviously being over 21

plyometrics 19 Mar 2018
In reply to mountain.martin:

Agreed. I’d actually suggested that in my post above. ie the ‘one world observatory’ which is what the top of the building is called. We went at dusk on purpose and got merry at the bar.

Ended up spending the night with a group from Atlanta.

Defo a highlight for us!

dsh 19 Mar 2018

There are great Bars everywhere, but the Lower East Side in Manhattan, or Williamsburg in Brooklyn have a particularly high concentration of good places to drink.

Go to Flushing in Queens for great Asian food.

P.S. in the US, Asian refers to Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and South East Asian not Indian ,Pakistani, or Middle Eastern like it can mean in the UK.

Post edited at 19:51
estivoautumnal 19 Mar 2018

Another vote for the Met. It's no 1 on my list of things do do/see in NYC.

Another must see is the High Line.

New York has some great flea markets to poke around.

Labor Day is a brilliant time to be in the city. Lots going on. As is the marathon day.

Walk from Battery Park to Central Park and take in the sights along the way.

Bogwalloper 19 Mar 2018

You've probably never heard of this but if you're down near the Highline between Chelsea and Greenwich there's a streetfood hall called Gansevoort Market on W14th Street. The food in this place is awesome - pretty much everything you'd ever want. Grab a beer and go and sit next to someone on the wooden benches. loved it!

W

estivoautumnal 19 Mar 2018
In reply to Bogwalloper:

The market is great. It has a high turnover of businesses but I think that adds to the appeal.

OP GravitySucks 20 Mar 2018
In reply to all:  Once again many thanks for the suggestions, this should keep me busy .... for a month

The Ivanator 21 Mar 2018

The Met, Museum of Modern Art, bit of central park bouldering, tent and trails for outdoor gear shopping, Staten Island ferry is free and goes right past Liberty - not worth paying for the Liberty Island Ferry. Grand Central Station, Top of the Rock.

neilh 21 Mar 2018

Statute of Liberty--book well in advance, do not just turn up on the day.And book to go right up in the crown....well worth it

Highline

Cycle central park

United Nations Tour-- prebook- and get your passport stamped there

9/11 museum--allow lots of time

Breakfast in Grand Central Station-

Any of the skytop viewing stations

New York Opera House- we saw a ballet there as my youngest daughter is nuts about ballet

Have a very well planned list of things to do..there is so much.

It is an awesome city.

Jon Greengrass 21 Mar 2018
In reply to MG:

I thought Grand central station was rubbish compared to UK stations such as Charing cross, Kings Cross, Paddington or Bristol Temple Meads.

Highlights from my trip 

Guggenheim museum

Metropolitan museum

Ben Folds live, go and see something in one of the many Broadway theatres

View from the Empire state building.

walking round central park

Nearly getting chucked out of bar because we started dancing and they didn't have a licence!

Post edited at 15:17
 MG 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> I thought Grand central station was rubbish compared to UK stations such as Charing cross, Kings Cross, Paddington or Bristol Temple Meads.

I suspect in that case you didn't see most of it!   None of those for example could hold a squash tournament in one corner!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1581968.1389897665!/img/httpIma...

St Pancras comes closest but is a lot smaller.

Post edited at 15:36
 Dave Garnett 21 Mar 2018

> I thought Grand central station was rubbish compared to UK stations such as Charing cross, Kings Cross, Paddington or Bristol Temple Meads

Really?  Fine as they are I can’t imagine any of them as the venue for the sort of swanky cocktails and live jazz party I’ve attended at GCS.

Gone for good 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Dave Garnett:

What? You'v never heard of the champagne bar at St Pancras? I thought it was famous.

http://stpancrasbysearcys.co.uk

Dave Garnett 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Gone for good:

Not bad, but this is in a different league:

https://goo.gl/images/RSF55a

Ava Adore 22 Mar 2018

> I thought Grand central station was rubbish compared to UK stations such as Charing cross, Kings Cross, Paddington or Bristol Temple Meads.

I'm assuming this is a joke??

Blue Straggler 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Ava Adore:

> I'm assuming this is a joke??

It must be

There is no other explanation for omitting Peterborough from that list.

Jon Greengrass 23 Mar 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I've never been to Peterborough station, doesn't look like it would be worth the trip like GCS.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...