New year new me?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dinodinosaur 04 Jan 2020

Being a sceptic of new years resolutions I was wondering if anyone has actually stuck to theirs or if by March all resolutions are forgotten and left by the wayside.

It would be good to hear some positivity from people who have carried their resolutions through

In reply to dinodinosaur:

> Being a sceptic of new years resolutions I was wondering if anyone has actually stuck to theirs or if by March all resolutions are forgotten and left by the wayside.

> It would be good to hear some positivity from people who have carried their resolutions through

Over 2 years ago now I packed in booze on New year's Eve.

I just went cold turkey after issues with binge drinking my boredom away and trying helplessly to manage depression that was only getting more messy .  I figured I'm going to be miserable either way so at least one of those ways offers the chance of getting better.  It was a logical and obvious choice. 

It's taken 2 years to get where I am now which is a far far better place to live.  It's been hard but infinity worth it and a serious learning process. 

TWS

Post edited at 14:54
 girlymonkey 04 Jan 2020

Not so much a new years resolution, but in August I set my mind to lose weight. I have lost 14kg and haven't put any on over the festive period. It's no different from a new years resolution other than I decided in August rather than at new year! Lol

krikoman 04 Jan 2020

I promised not to male new years resolutions about 30 years ago, and I've not broken it yet.

gribble 04 Jan 2020

One year I resolved to eat more pies, I managed that and it was a good year.  The next year was the same, but with cheese.  That went well too.  This year is to lose 3kg and not get married.  

Giles Davis 04 Jan 2020

I started 'Dry January' last year with a goal of seeing it through the whole year alcohol free (my previous best was middle of July). I made it no problems apart from a half a beer to toast the death of my old boss in June and a glass of Baileys at Christmas Dinner to toast my dad (died in 2017). So, I don't really count those two drinks. 

I've tried in previous years to cut out sugar (cookies, cakes and sugary cereals) but found that a lot harder than alcohol. You just start taking sugar in in different ways e.g. having more coffees because you know you're going to have a sugar in it :-/ 

This year's resolution will be to cut out sugar, once again, so will be a challenge I'm sure.

Post edited at 17:03
 Dax H 04 Jan 2020

Mixed bag for me, I stopped drinking 30 years ago and stuck with it with ease but I have failed miserably to loose any weight over the last 10 years. 

Ridge 04 Jan 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> It's taken 2 years to get where I am now which is a far far better place to live.  It's been hard but infinity worth it and a serious learning process. 

Well done TWS, you should be bloody proud of all you've achieved.

Yanis Nayu 04 Jan 2020

I resolved to learn Russian NY 2012. It was my main hobby for about 4 years, I got, and remain pretty proficient, made loads of amazing friends around the world and travelled to Russia twice, Ukraine and Belarus. 

Timmd 04 Jan 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\': What Ridge said, it's among the toughest things one can do I think, to go through the mill of being depressed, and accepting that it's an issue, and reaching out for help. I found it quite different from anything else I've done to get to grips with my mind being awry, and to talk to strangers about it.

Post edited at 19:03
 David55 05 Jan 2020

Last year I  resolved to  ascend Pendle Hill every month. It is the first successful resolution of  my life, I  completed an ascent each month, and 2 extras. 

Lunch in the Pendle Inn is the main draw, though I  didn't  go there every time.

Jon Stewart 05 Jan 2020

When I was 20, I resolved to start a spiritual revolution. Still not got round to it. 

(this is actually true; but I was being sarcastic at the time) 

Gav_92 05 Jan 2020

Not exactly new years resolutions but each year I set myself some goals 

Last year was to learn how to safely use a rope to assist with my scrambling, managed to exceed expectations thanks to a few peoples help

This year aim is to do inbred hvs 5a and double overhang hvs 5a this summer so new years day I led my first vs 5a 😎 early days but I'd say I'm on track

New year same me 😁

BnB 05 Jan 2020
In reply to David55:

> Last year I  resolved to  ascend Pendle Hill every month. It is the first successful resolution of  my life, I  completed an ascent each month, and 2 extras. 

> Lunch in the Pendle Inn is the main draw, though I  didn't  go there every time.

There are many hills less noble. The ascent up the big end from Barley and descent by Ogden Clough is a very fine circuit indeed.

mrphilipoldham 05 Jan 2020

Ran 1000km last year as I demanded of myself. Finished on 30th December

Years ago at Christmas a friend bought me a book of tickets for the local theatre. We used the last of the tickets tickets to endure Animal Farm the Musical, and I resolved to never go to the theatre ever again. I’m much happier for it. 

Moley 05 Jan 2020

Carry on as I have for the previous 67 years, I feel no urge to give up anything (that I enjoy) nor take up anything (that I shall probably be crap at). I am what I am, happiness in my remaining years is my sole aim and the new year is yet another year.

Good luck to all those with goals and aims.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...