New 3 tiers, what does it mean?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 24 Nov 2020

Looking forward to the next round of argument about differences between the guidance and the legislation.

My money's on the legislation not mentioning travel but the guidance saying don't (in T3 at least).

GrahamD 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

I can see pubs on tier boundaries being somewhat 'interesting'

Rob Exile Ward 24 Nov 2020

I have no idea what it all means, but FFS can't someone take Bunter to one side and explain that what he thinks is clever clever language, metaphors and the like is really only useful if the speaker knows what they are talking about.

When Churchill came up with 'Some chicken ... some neck' it was an extraordinary moment, combining genuinely risky humour at one of the lowest  points of our history with a real message. Bunter is as far away from that kind of communication skill as it is possible to be.

wercat 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Having heard Grant Shapps (untruther in chief) this morning giving out the new law in a very loud confident bloke in a noisy pub way I am completely confused.  You will only be able to travel for work, possibly, but possibly a foreign holiday will be ok if you don't stop on the way to the airport .....

As usual he felt it necessary to give an uinclear detailed answer to every scenario given by the interviewer, making it up as he went along

He really sounds like the bloke in the pub who would win your confidence by telling you he is "Richard Greene, of the film world" while selling you a very nice car that he says he owns but doesn't

Post edited at 09:29
 Dave Garnett 24 Nov 2020

I thought 'it's the season to be jolly careful' was pretty good, to be fair.  

Neil Williams 24 Nov 2020

I'd expect that to be the case, though with hotels being closed in tier 3 that limits the scope to travel too far.

Blue Straggler 24 Nov 2020
In reply to wercat:

> He really sounds like the bloke in the pub who would win your confidence by telling you he is "Richard Greene, of the film world" while selling you a very nice car that he says he owns but doesn't

Oooh what's the reference there? Surely not Minder? 

PaulJepson 24 Nov 2020

Do you think they would still end the lockdown next week if they hadn't found a vaccine?

In my limited knowledge I feel like the better course of action would be to keep the national lockdown going another couple of weeks to make things safer for Christmas. Ending it now feels a bit like the government going "ah, f*ck it, it'll probably be alright".  

TomD89 24 Nov 2020

Unless they explicitly mention 'no travel between tiers' then you can travel as you please.

There's no actual limit on travel inside England at the moment, only what you may travel for. It seems as if travel to and from Wales and possibly NI will open up, not sure about Scotland.

elsewhere 24 Nov 2020

I was surprised by the PM last night.

He sounded on top his brief rather than winging it with some world beating flimflam punctuated by references to something Greek or Latin. He sounded as if he might take tough decisions. 

He'd even combed his hair, like people normally do for a work meeting done from home.

It was all completely out of character. 

elsewhere 24 Nov 2020
In reply to TomD89:

Scotland - no travel out of council areas in Tier 4 except for various essential purposes.

It's legislation not guidance.

In reply to PaulJepson:

> In my limited knowledge I feel like the better course of action would be to keep the national lockdown going another couple of weeks to make things safer for Christmas. Ending it now feels a bit like the government going "ah, f*ck it, it'll probably be alright".  

F*ck it, it will probably be alright has been their consistent strategy.  Followed by 'Oh sh*t, it isn't.'

mondite 24 Nov 2020
In reply to wercat:

> He really sounds like the bloke in the pub who would win your confidence by telling you he is "Richard Greene, of the film world" while selling you a very nice car that he says he owns but doesn't

Who would have thought someone who ran a web marketing get rich quick scheme using multiple aliases might be a bit dodgy?

I am surprised he didnt overly firmly deny some things.

wercat 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I haven't got my old Criminal Law books any more but it must have either been a criminal or a contract case we studied in our first year.  Yes, it really did happen, a confidence trickster did pass himself off as Richard Greene (currently back on Talking Pictures as Robin Hood) in order to sell a car he didn't own.

Just looked it up - Lewis v Averay in the 1970s- it must have been in Cheshire and Fifoot on the Law of Contract

https://www.lawteacher.net/cases/lewis-v-averay.php

I got it the wrong way round - he was buying a car with a fraudulent cheque but the Shapps principle still applies!

Too long ago for me to remember properly!

Post edited at 12:06
 Blue Straggler 24 Nov 2020
In reply to wercat:

thanks 

freeflyer 24 Nov 2020
In reply to elsewhere:

> I was surprised by the PM last night.

I've stopped looking at the government announcements.

I just wait for Jonathan Pie to tell me how it really is.

Dave the Rave 24 Nov 2020

It means that the northern areas will be in the higher tiers for speaking out against Boris’ tier system. Subtly different to Scotland’s council areas travel restrictions, Boris will ban travel from council estates in the north of England.

Dave Garnett 24 Nov 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> I can see pubs on tier boundaries being somewhat 'interesting'

Three tiers in our pubs...

Covid’s coming home

Mr Lopez 24 Nov 2020
 Misha 24 Nov 2020

I suspect you’re right. Guidance rather than law and we can all have the same arguments again - or just go climbing, weather permitting... I wonder if it will be between Tiers or between local authorities. If it’s between Tiers, that’s potentially vast areas as so many areas will be the same Tier. If it’s between local authorities, that’s a joke in urban areas like the West Midlands and Greater Manchester which comprise several local authorities.

Misha 24 Nov 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

The landlords will be in tiers. 

> I can see pubs on tier boundaries being somewhat 'interesting'

Misha 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> I thought 'it's the season to be jolly careful' was pretty good, to be fair.  

Clearly BoJo meant do as I say, not as I do.

steve taylor 25 Nov 2020

Has anything been said about foreign travel (within EU, while we're still in it)? I couldn't find anything easily on BBC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...