my skype is spamming - what to do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClimberEd 11 Dec 2018

I'm pretty poor with tech and some of you are very good.  

Apparently my skype is sending spam.

I haven't used it for months.

Is changing the password usually sufficient to deal with this? Or some other action needed?

Thanks in advance.

Luke90 11 Dec 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

Changing your password is very likely to be sufficient.

If you visit live.com, log in using your Skype username and navigate to the security options you can:

- Check that other security details they have for you are correct

- See where else your account is logged in

- Optionally, set up two factor authentication to make your account more secure in the future

Two factor authentication will be a bit of a hassle if you often log in on new computers but probably worth it if you hardly ever do that or your Skype account is important to you professionally.

The most likely way the spammers got access is by the release of passwords from another site where you used the same email address and password.

OP ClimberEd 11 Dec 2018
In reply to Luke90:

Thank you very much. A great help!

skog 11 Dec 2018
In reply to Luke90:

> The most likely way the spammers got access is by the release of passwords from another site where you used the same email address and password.

... and, so it would also be a good idea for ClimberEd to change their password on any other site where you've used the same email address or username, with the same password. And ideally make them all different from each other.

OP ClimberEd 12 Dec 2018
In reply to skog:

Yes.

The only problem is I haven't got a clue what it is. I couldn't even remember what my skype password was unfortunately.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...