My first Covid test...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 24 Sep 2021

I noticed a bit of a scratchy throat whilst in the office yesterday but put it down to the fact that I'd cycled in for the first time in about a year, and that I'd left at 6am, it was colder than usual, raining and obviously I was breathing a lot harder than I had been for a while (35 mile round trip and I'm still a fat knacker)

Didn't go away so I left the office early to try and spare the others the risk.  Missus says she had felt the same all day (she'd worked from home).

Feels like it's been sore all night.  It seems to be less sore now but I'm feeling like it's moving down to my chest a little bit, so I'm about to do a home test now.

ffs.  Despite being an ex smoking, ex drinking fatty layabout I've always been amazingly lucky in terms of never being ill.  Apart from childhood stuff like measles and chickenpox and mumps of course.

Hopefully it's just a sniffle and will clear up.  But just warning you.  Anyone who has been on UKC in the last 48 hours and read any of my comments may have to self isolate.

girlymonkey 24 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I should be ok, I kept my mask on and windows open! Can't risk opening a post without sensible precautions 😜

Hope it's nothing! 

OP ThunderCat 24 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I had to take a tram into Manchester on Wednesday.  Probably the first tram I've been on for a year as well and it was rammed.  I think it was a match day.  If I've caught owt, it was probably on there.  Bloody hell.

Bottom Clinger 24 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Hopefully it's just a sniffle and will clear up.  But just warning you.  Anyone who has been on UKC in the last 48 hours and read any of my comments may have to self isolate.

My laptop has got anti-virus software so I should be OK.

Cobra_Head 24 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I should be ok, I kept my mask on and windows open! Can't risk opening a post without sensible precautions 😜

> Hope it's nothing! 

I always wear a condom, so I should be OK.

Bottom Clinger 24 Sep 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> I always wear a condom, so I should be OK.

As a mask?

In reply to girlymonkey:

Those lateral flow tests aren't the most pleasant things, are they.

Just waiting for the results now

wercat 24 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I should be OK as I tend to post in some kind of protection

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/3559

In reply to wercat:

The ONLY way to post

Dax H 24 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Results?

The tests are bloody awful. I have had that many due to customer requirements that I fear my nose may never recover. 

In reply to Dax H:

Was just about to post.  Seems to be clear!

Yeah, tests were awful.  Instant gag reflex and the nose one wasn't nice at all.  

So I'm putting it down to a naff cold and I'm going to lie down and watch TV for the rest of the night, and make pitiful old man noises so that Mrs TC keeps the tea coming.

Dax H 24 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Glad it's just a cold, if you play it right though you might get Mrs TC to pander to you all weekend. 

In reply to ThunderCat:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but LFT is no use if you have symptoms - a Negative LFT does not mean you don't have Covid. If you can, try to get booked in for a PCR and avoid contact with people before then. Hope it's all clear!

(Even a PCR doesn't "guarantee" you don't have it, but at least it says you're highly unlikely.

OP ThunderCat 25 Sep 2021
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Really? Ffs. 

ranger*goy 25 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I know quite a few people with symptoms who tested positive with a LFT first.

fmck 25 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

If you get a positive LFT it's quite certain your PCR will be also. A negative is not the same. Early on this became apparent on my wife's hospital ward. Staff testing negative then positive on a PCR. You need to get a PCR to be certain. 

mountainbagger 26 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Really? Ffs. 

Yes, I think that's right. LFTs are for asymptomatic testing, to try and catch at least a proportion of infections at a lower cost than giving everyone PCRs routinely.

Unfortunately though, I think you're in that not-so-sweet spot of being symptomatic but not covid-symptomatic in that I don't think you mentioned any of the symptoms that are required to qualify for a PCR at the moment! So, I'm not entirely sure what you should do. You probably have a cold, but you cannot be sure. I can only assume the government want you to decide for yourself as they haven't updated the symptom list for PCRs to include the more cold like symptoms. Possibly because they know we don't have the testing capacity.

OP ThunderCat 26 Sep 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

Ordered a PCR kit and staying safely locked away until I've done it. Really want to go out and play today too. 

mountainbagger 26 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Ordered a PCR kit and staying safely locked away until I've done it. Really want to go out and play today too. 

I admire your public-spirited attitude. I just asked my wife and she would take the LFTs and, if negative, carry on as normal!

I guess I'd better quickly figure out what I would do as it is very likely to happen at some point (my kids are at primary school, so loads of bugs going around).

I'd avoid indoor gatherings I think but, if feeling pretty good, would probably still go for a run or walk or cycle outside (assuming negative LFTs). I'd avoid my elderly parents for a week or so.

In reply to ranger*goy:

I hope it didn't come across that I was implying that LFTs *will not* pick up covid if symptomatic. They will, but just not to a high enough degree of repeatability that they can be used to *rule out* covid.

They're only really of any use a a mass screening tool to weed out unsymptomatic (or mildly symptomatic) people from flights/workplaces etc. etc.

If you have any concerns you may have covid, get a PCR. Even if your symptoms are not  100% as on the gov list (see Zoe for details, but the gov is a bit behind on what are the typical symptoms for double vaxxed people.)

Will im lucky enough to be able to work from home, and to be an antisocial tosser. So self isolating is really the norm for me anyway. Better to be safe than sorry I reckon. PCR test should be here soon

ranger*goy 26 Sep 2021

I could be going for a PCR test two or three times a month if I tested every time I had a dry throat, headache or felt a bit peaky. 

In reply to ranger*goy:

> I could be going for a PCR test two or three times a month if I tested every time I had a dry throat, headache or felt a bit peaky. 

Bloody hell, is it normal to feel like that several times a month? Maybe you should get a check up or something?

It's about once every couple of years that a cold lays me low. It'll start on my throat, and then either bugger off within 48 hours, or it'll move onto my chest and sinuses and linger around for a bit. This one is a lingerer 😭

ranger*goy 26 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I’m female so almost guaranteed a headache once a month, well mostly, I’m 45 now. Sometimes I’ll wake up with a dry throat that never develops into anything. Occasionally I just feel a bit knackered. Just vague things that in pre covid times you wouldn’t even think about. 

In reply to ranger*goy:

I getcha. As I mentioned in the OP, I'm lucky enough to be generally healthy and niggle free, so when something does hit me, I fall to pieces and generally become a real diva. And as a bloke, I don't suffer from the monthly cycle thing. I have a man shed and a bike for when Mrs TC is feeling it tho

ranger*goy 26 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I didn’t have a period for 3 months over the summer. I never realised how much the menstrual cycle screws up my sleep. I didn’t have a headache for 3 months either which was nice 😃 

In reply to ranger*goy:

To be clear, I wasn't saying that for every little tickle jump for a PCR....I was just meaning that if you actually think you may have it - don't worry about not having the UK GOV "official" symptoms. Many double vaccinated people are not getting fever etc.

ranger*goy 27 Sep 2021

For a lot of vaccinated people they may only get a little tickle. I guess everyone just has to make their own judgment. LFT aren’t perfect but they are useful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...