Mugabe gone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
baron 06 Sep 2019

Robert Mugabe dies.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Bob Kemp 06 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

A reminder that smart populist demagogues can screw up a country and its people really badly. 

pasbury 06 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

Shame that he didn’t die in prison where he belonged.

baron 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Mugabe had a great start and a shit finish.

Maybe Johnson (If that’s the demagogue that you’re referring to) will have the opposite.

Gosh, comparing Johnson to Mugabe, what has British politics come to?

Removed User 06 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

Unfortunately his legacy lives on.

baron 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> Unfortunately his legacy lives on.

Interesting to hear totally different views about the positive/negative effects of his time in office from Zimbabweans

Is ‘time in office’ the correct term for a dictator?

pec 07 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

> Robert Mugabe dies.

Hopefully it was slow and painful.

In reply to baron:

> Maybe Johnson (If that’s the demagogue that you’re referring to) will have the opposite.

Better send him on a very long journey to Damascus, then. Because it will take a bloody Damascene epiphany for him to change his long-followed ways.

druridge 08 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

I'm hoping there's a special corner in hell reserved for him

French Erick 08 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

I am too young to remember his débuts. His story shows how corrosive power can be and should be another cautionary tale to all of us. Politics shouldn’t be so dependent on « leaders » but more so on ideology and principle. 

I have only ever been aware of him as a reason for the suffering of his fellow, albeit not equal, citizens in my aware lifetime- first became aware of Zimbabwe around 15. For that reason I will not miss him.

Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

What did he do that makes British people hate him so? 

baron 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

He had the chance to take the people of Zimbabwe out of the oppression that they had suffered under white rule but instead he became a dictator every bit as bad as those he replaced.

Other than that he was fine.

Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

Ah OK cheers.

Timmd 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> What did he do that makes British people hate him so? 

For a time, life expectancy in Zimbabwe dropped to 36, and under his rule black Zimbabwe citizens suffered torture if they weren't allied with him and his party politically, all sorts of things took place. White citizens were driven from their farms (and some of the time killed in the process) too, it was arguably an inequality that white farmers had the choicest land to farm, but the means of change was essentially done by mob rule. 

Post edited at 21:33
 Timmd 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

He did introduce a decent education system which I gather has been benefiting people ever since he did, during his early days, too, but the widespread celebrations when he ceded power possibly said a lot. 

Post edited at 22:43
 Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks for the reply Tim ,I don't know anything about the place so I was curious to know why. 

jimtitt 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> For a time, life expectancy in Zimbabwe dropped to 36, and under his rule black Zimbabwe citizens suffered torture if they weren't allied with him and his party politically, all sorts of things took place. White citizens were driven from their farms (and some of the time killed in the process) too, it was arguably an inequality that white farmers had the choicest land to farm, but the means of change was essentially done by mob rule. 

One of Tony Blair's bad ideas! When Zimbabwe became independent the large white-owned farms could be sold, half the cost being financed by the UK. When the money earmarked for this by Thatcher ran out Blair stopped payment and terminated the Lancaster House Agreement. Zimbabwe then embarked on forcible land reform causing agriculture and the banking system to collapse and it all went to pieces after that.

Removed User 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> What did he do that makes British people hate him so? 

I believe he is reviled by most of the international community. While the list is as long as your arm you might want to type "Matabeleland massacres" into Google and read up on the murder of 20000 of his own countrymen ordered by Mugabe and executed by his right hand man who is now his successor.

Under his rule, the most prosperous country in sub saharan Africa became incapable of feeding itself and the currency became worthless. That didn't really matter to him though because he had already enriched himself to the tune of billions of dollars. Zimbabwe may be the worst example of poor governance in Sub Saharan Africa, characterised by a toxic mix of tribalism, corruption and a ruling class only interested in enriching itself.

Post edited at 10:15
 Timmd 09 Sep 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

That's interesting to know. 

pec 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> I believe he is reviled by most of the international community. While the list is as long as your arm you might want to type "Matabeleland massacres" into Google and read up on the murder of 20000 of his own countrymen ordered by Mugabe and executed by his right hand man who is now his successor.

> Under his rule, the most prosperous country in sub saharan Africa became incapable of feeding itself and the currency became worthless. That didn't really matter to him though because he had already enriched himself to the tune of billions of dollars. Zimbabwe may be the worst example of poor governance in Sub Saharan Africa, characterised by a toxic mix of tribalism, corruption and a ruling class only interested in enriching itself.

I think you're doing a good job of selling Mugabe to Pefa, that's exactly the sort of qualities she admires in a political leader.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...