MP3 Player Recommendations Please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Clarence 14 Sep 2020

I have decided at long last to ditch the cd and go fully digital but I need a good portable MP3 player to replace my ailing Sansa Clip. I am looking for 16gb plus, reasonable sound quality and under fifty quid if possible. I can't use my phone as playing music kills the battery and I need to keep my phone alive to clock in and out at work, catch the bus etc. a juiceless phone is a disaster these days.

I tried a cheap Mibao player off Amazon but it doesn't work all that well, all the songs get mixed up into random albums for no real reason and it just doesn't see some folders on it. I would like a decent display with album covers if possible but it isn't a dealbreaker. Anyone got any good recommendations?

The Lemming 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Clarence:

You could get a powerpack for your phone to keep it topped up while listening to music?

Or you could get a second-hand phone for the purpose of listening to music?

When not at home I just use my phone to listen to music.

ianstevens 15 Sep 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

One of these. Do specific MP3 player even exist anymore? 

In reply to Clarence:

Playing music to earphones from a mobile phine doesn't use a lot of battery for an hour or two on a commute. Or will you be listening for prolonged periods?  If so a £15 power bank will power your phone all day.

I've got a FiiO one I use when I just want music etc. No idea what the modern versions are like as mine is 5+ years old but I've had no problems with it.

nufkin 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Clarence:

I got something from Cowon a while ago that seems pretty good. Mostly specific portable music devices seem to be aimed at hi-def sound these days, and mega expensive, but there are (or were) still a couple of options in Cowons range. Mine does music, radio and video playing (so can, I think, display artwork) and seems to have a pretty good battery life - 40-50 hours of listening, perhaps.

Can't remember the specific model name, though

Jamie Wakeham 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Clarence:

Used iPod Nano?

Rob Parsons 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Clarence:

> I have decided at long last to ditch the cd and go fully digital but I need a good portable MP3 player to replace my ailing Sansa Clip. I am looking for 16gb plus, reasonable sound quality and under fifty quid if possible.

The Sansa Clip + was an excellent device. It is now discontinued unfortunately, but other more recent Sansa players are still available and they might suit - see https://shop.westerndigital.com/c/mp3-players, and then look on Amazon.

Note that none of the more recent Sansa players are supported by the Rockbox firmware (https://www.rockbox.org/), if that's important to you.

I'd be interested to know what you find.

Blue Straggler 15 Sep 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> Or you could get a second-hand phone for the purpose of listening to music?

I did this for a couple of years; I'd actually got the second hand phone initially for a different purpose (long battery life for a weekend festival, and no worry if it is lost or destroyed at festival). After the festival it became a handy media hub not so much for the sake of battery life but for the sake of being ONLY for music and not being interrupted by incoming calls and notifications. It was a Microsoft Lumia 640. 
Unfortunately I left it at a hostel in Peru and by the time I replaced it, most apps were not only no longer SUPPORTED, but you couldn't install them at ALL (I only really wanted Spotify and a good media player for my own mp3s, plus a couple of fun games). 
The OP may fare better with a second hand Android. 

To the OP....I was heading down a similar path to you a few years ago and was surprised at the relatively high cost of dedicated mp3 players, hence thinking toward getting a phone for it. It worked nicely while it worked. You also have the bonus that you can browse the Internet (SIM-free) when connected to WiFi....helping to preserve battery on your "real" phone. 

Yohan 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Clarence:

I had a philips gogear until it was drowned in the washing machine last month. Since then I've used my phone. Mine was a 14 years old and a 2gb version and easy to use, drag and drop no daft apple software required. I have looked online quickly and it seems there is a modern equivalent. Might be worth looking at that? 

elliot.baker 15 Sep 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

LOL

OP Clarence 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Clarence:

Hmmm, thanks for the replies. I might end up buying a second hand phone just for the ease of use after all. I can easily get a small smartphone a couple of years old for the price of a Philip's player.

Frankie boy 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Clarence:

I recently had the same problem. After much googling, I went for one made by AGPTek. I think it was the G02 model. Very similar in size to the Sands and actually pretty decent sound with a good set of headphones. You can pick one up off Amazon for about £20. That would be my recommendation

Mike Peacock 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Clarence:

I'm still being a techno-dinosaur and clinging on to using an MP3 player rather than my phone. My last one died (a Sansa Clip I think) and after a bit of searching I replaced it with an 8GB AGPtek one. It doesn't do album covers but I haven't found any fault with it and it's lasted well so far. Looking on Amazon and their 16GB ones are reasonably priced and it looks like some do have better/bigger screens.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...