Moving to Dronfield.....advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sheffield Sam 12 Jan 2021

Hi All

Im hoping a few of you may be able to offer some guidance. I’ve currently got an offer in on a house in S8, I’m not sure how that’s going to go so have been looking at properties if/when that falls through. I’ve noticed a couple of nice places on the western edge of Dronfield.....does anybody live here, how is it?

On the face of it, it’s 5 minutes further to some crags than S8 and 5 minutes nearer others....similar to the climbing wall. Clearly not the best metric for assessing areas, an important one none the less!

Thanks 

Sam

Wheelsy 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Sheffield Sam:

I grew up there, and I've turned out relatively normal, so it can't be too bad. Whereabouts exactly?

OP Sheffield Sam 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Wheelsy:

Thanks for the reply, Dronfield Woodhouse to be precise!

Wheelsy 12 Jan 2021

Yep, that's where I grew up. Nice area, good school (don't know if that's of any importance), good variety of pubs (although it's been sometime since I lived there). Reasonable sized Sainsbury's in Dronfield and an Aldi in Dronfield Bottom too. From Dronfield Woodhouse you can be out in the Peak via Holmesfield in 5 minutes, and if you go down Mickley Lane you can be on Abbeydale Road that leads into Sheffield in 5 minutes too. Not sure if there's any truth in it, but apparently Dronfield Woodhouse was the largest private housing estate in Europe when it was built.

Dax H 12 Jan 2021

Yorkshire Water are spending a lot of money upgrading the sewage works in Dronfield if that helps. 

OP Sheffield Sam 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Dax H:

Interesting, I wonder if that’s related to aged infrastructure or in preparation for large new developments, either way good info. 

Thanks chaps. 

TobyA 12 Jan 2021

That's where I am; I've sent you an email, so check whatever email you registered with UKC.

nickcanute 13 Jan 2021

Nearby climbing and high balls at Red and Black crag. Although recently a cretin thought some of the holds needed cementing.

TobyA 14 Jan 2021
In reply to nickcanute:

> Although recently a cretin thought some of the holds needed cementing.

I presumed it was a landowner trying to stop climbers? I commute past there plenty of times a week, and have gone in and looked at the lines while out mountain biking, but haven't actually got as far as climbing there in the last nearly 3 years! 

Gabe Oliver 14 Jan 2021

I'm Dronfield based, moved out here from Sheffield a couple of years ago but I'm also from the south originally. I've dropped you a direct message

TobyA 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Gabe Oliver:

There seems to be a bit of a Dronny-posse forming! If, once it stops snowing and we get released from lockdown, you need belayer/spotter for some local routes - let me know. And Sam as well obviously, if you end up here as well!

OP Sheffield Sam 14 Jan 2021

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch chaos!

Axel Smeets 14 Jan 2021

I live in Dronfield. Been here for 10 years, having spent the first 27 years in Gleadless. 

Love it here. Wouldn't move anywhere else. We live at Hilltop which is on the southern fringe of the town. 

Feel free to PM me if you want any further info or advice. 

Gabe Oliver 14 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Sounds like a plan! Roll on the spring time 

Dax H 16 Jan 2021

> Interesting, I wonder if that’s related to aged infrastructure or in preparation for large new developments, either way good info.

It's a bit of both, the existing site is way behind the times and needed updating but they are planning for x amount of new houses being built over the next decade. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...