Moving House - utilities question - Help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 28 May 2020

Hi

For the first time in years I’m moving, and I realise I don’t know how to operate the 21st century, so thought the UKC collective may be able to help.  The move is not my choice, more forced on me through unfortunate change in circumstances.

Ive no idea who the Gas/Electricity/Phone providers are and may not have help from the owner, as they had rented the property out.

Any clues how I go about this.  FYI, I’ve not exchanged yet, so do I have routes via estate agent/solicitor?

Any clues?

many thanks

MeMeMe 28 May 2020
In reply to kipper12:

I don't think I know how to operate in the 21st century either but presumably you'll get some letters through the door at some point from all the suppliers? So there maybe a bit of a delay but you'll find out? Remember to note the readings of all the utilities when you move in!

mal_meech 28 May 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Best advice is citizens advice, full checklist and useful links - 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/moving-home...

nikoid 28 May 2020
In reply to kipper12:

The seller's solicitor will have got the seller to fill out a questionnaire which usually asks about utility suppliers. So if your solicitor asks the seller's solicitor this information should be available.

The key thing is to take meter readings on the day you move, I think everything else will fall into place. This issue is probably the least of your worries!😁

Blue Straggler 28 May 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Are the utilities bills in your name and do you pay them directly or are they “included in the rent”? 

marsbar 28 May 2020
In reply to kipper12:

If you decide who you want to go with I think your new supplier will probably be able to sort it out for you.  

The contract with the previous supplier isn't with you so it isn't really relevant.  

Just decide which supplier you want to use (use a comparison site maybe) give them the meter readings from the day you take it on and let them sort it out. 

daWalt 28 May 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> The contract with the previous supplier isn't with you so it isn't really relevant. 

no. but you are immediately bounced into a "deemed" contract with this supplier (typically at their highest tariff); so it helps to know who they are. 

marsbar 28 May 2020
In reply to daWalt:

That's why it's good to set up your own contract immediately, to avoid this.  

earlsdonwhu 28 May 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Long story...but I once had to phone an electric company about a fault. I guessed (wrongly) which the supplier was but was told that if I gave them the identification number of the meter they could let me know the actual supplier  from a central data bank. 

Siward 28 May 2020
In reply to kipper12:

I'm about to change over to Octopus I think. Having moved recently the npower/edf energy changeover took months, I can never log into my online account despite several phone calls and they're just useless.

But as others have said, once you select your own supplier they will start the changover process for you. Just read the meters in your current property just before you leave and at your new property when you arrive. Take photos on your phone if you are that 21st century!

MH1 28 May 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Once you have exchanged your local  electricity distribution company can give you the currentelectricity supplier details for the property. They can only give that information to the owner, occupier or bill payer due to data protection. Initially you will be with that supplier but you can change at any time. Make sure you supply an opening meter read to the supplier or the opening read would be estimated. If it was estimated it would mean that if you did change supplier you could get a higher bill. Often the same supplier supplies both the gas and electric but once you have the electricity supplier they can check a system called Xoserve to check the gas supplier details.

OP kipper12 28 May 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Thanks all

Andy Manthorpe 28 May 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Take photos of the meters showing the readings. Keep the exif data, so you have proof rather than just a reading.

Blue Straggler 28 May 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Are the utilities bills in your name and do you pay them directly or are they “included in the rent”? 

Sorry, ignore me! I got the wrong end of the stick, I thought you were currently renting and have been given notice and didn't know how to ensure you don't keep paying for utilities on the old property. 

I think everyone else, who understood the OP easily, has given you decent advice which I'd agree with. Definitely get onto it straight away though, as daWalt mentioned. With all that will be going on with the move, especially under your unwanted circumstances, it might be easy to let this slip, as there will be a supply, but from my experience (not my money thankfully; it was the office I set up 5 years ago for my employer, with no experience of how to do these things and no support...) that high tariff can be eye-watering. A daily "standing charge" like £1 a day, plus a tariff possibly at least double what you should be paying. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...