Motorola phone problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Beaton 20 Apr 2019

My son forgot his pin for his phone so we found and followed some instructions on YouTube to reset it. We then tried to log in to my Google account again so that he could get back all his apps, but every time we log into it, the phone just goes back to the log in screen for the Google account. I've had an e-mail saying I've logged back into my Google account on that phone even though the login doesn't seem to have worked. Any idea what's going on, and how I can link the phone to my Google account again?

Blue Straggler 20 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Not joking here but you have turned the phone and the PC off and on again?

Blue Straggler 20 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Have you lost only the apps? Is he back into the phone already with all basic connectivity? 

OP Sam Beaton 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

No. We can't log back in it without the pin (which has been forgotten) or by logging back into my Google account (which doesn't seem to work no matter how many times I try). The phone has been powered off completely overnight and it's the same this morning

Blue Straggler 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Ah. The Kafka-esque scenario. Sorry can’t help with this, good luck

Jack B 21 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Do you know what version of Android it is? If not, what model of phone it is?

Got a link to the vid that shows what you tried already?

In reply to Jack B:

youtube.com/watch?v=FUpL_zEa5ek&

Is what we followed to reset the phone. That seemed to work, it is getting it going again that is the problem. I seem to be stuck in an endless loop of logging in with my Google account only for the phone to keep asking me to log into my Google account again

In reply to Jack B:

And it's a Motorola G5 Play, sorry, no idea what version Android

Jack B 22 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I was hoping someone more knowlegable would come along...

The steps in the video should reset the phone completely to factory settings.  I don't think you need a google account to set up an andorid phone. There should be another option, other than log-in. Does that work? If so, you might be able to add the google account later.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

OP Sam Beaton 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Jack B:

It did restore it to factory settings. But then starting it up again requires the pin, which he's forgotten and was the reason for resetting the phone, or logging in with the Google account, which doesn't work as outlined above.

Thanks anyway Jack B and Blue Straggler

Route Adjuster 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Sounds like the Google Protect My Device is activated.  What you need to do is convinve the phone that you are the rightful owner following a reset.  This is done by logging in to the last known account that the phone was active with - your google account.  If in the meantime you have changed the password for your google account, you have to wait at least 24 hours before that would work.

Have you changed the password on the google account you are trying to use since the phone was reset?

OP Sam Beaton 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Route Adjuster:

I tried and failed several times to log in with my Google account. Then I had a lightbulb moment and wondered if I'd got my son his own Google account and that was the one that had been used on the phone before we reset it. I had indeed got him a Google account but of course had no idea what the password was. So I tried logging in with his Google account and a temporary password that got sent to my phone by text message. That didn't work either. I can't be sure which Google account had been on the phone before we reset it, but it will definitely be either his or mine. I can't remember if I've left 24 hours between attempts to log in. I will now try leaving it a definite 24 hours and try logging in again. Cheers

Route Adjuster 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Beige you leave the 24 hours just make sure that you can access the Google account you have reset for your son . Do this on any browser by accessing Gmail.  Once you know you have a valid password then leave for 24hours and try again.  Best of luck , real pain this can be to get past .

Martin W 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

> I had a lightbulb moment and wondered if I'd got my son his own Google account and that was the one that had been used on the phone before we reset it.

I was actually thinking exactly this yesterday, but never got round to suggesting it.  Sorry.

Hope you do manage to get the phone working again.  I think Route Adjuster's advice is sound: make sure that you can log in to your son's Google account from a browser on a computer before trying the phone again.  You can do this from the Google search page: at the top right of the search page should be either your avatar photo, or your first initial in a circle if you haven't given Google your photo.  Click on that and you can sign out of your account - the profile icon will then be replaced by a sign in button which you can use to try signing in to your son's account.  (You can always sign back in to your own account if you can't get access to your son's account immediately.)

OP Sam Beaton 24 Apr 2019

A friend has suggested leaving 72 hours rather than just 24 so I'll try again on Saturday and let you know if it works!

OP Sam Beaton 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Leaving it 72 hours before logging back into Google account hasn't worked. Motorola's helpline not open til Monday. Any other suggestions please anybody?

Co1in H 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Friendly neighbourhood phone shop maybe.

OP Sam Beaton 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Co1in H:

Just tried that. No luck. But thanks for the suggestion anyway

Route Adjuster 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Try googling something like "motorola g5 google device protection" often there are ways around the problem.  Always convoluted but may work. 

OP Sam Beaton 29 Apr 2019

No joy with any of those I'm afraid. I'm now giving up and sending the phone back to Motorola. It will cost not far off what the phone cost in the first place to fix......thanks for all your advice anyway

Route Adjuster 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

No problem.  At least you now know that if someone steals a phone that has this google device protection enabled it then means they can't easily reset it and then make us of it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...