More anti English comments from the SNP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Le Sapeur 24 Nov 2020

From the BBC....

"The SNP's Westminster leader has apologised after being accused of bullying a photographer who he suggested may have broken Covid rules. 

Ian Blackford posted a tweet claiming that Ollie Taylor lives in the south of England, and questioned why he had taken a photograph of the Northern Lights in Caithness.

But Mr Taylor said he moved to Caithness earlier this year.

Mr Blackford has since deleted his tweet and apologised to Mr Taylor."

This is comparable to a few decades ago when black people were questioned when sitting in first class. Time to stop this nonsense Mr Blackford.

mick taylor 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Mr Blackford needs to get a life. 

Lankyman 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

You'll have to explain to me why this is anti-English. If he thought the photographer lived outwith Scotland then I think he'd be correct in questioning the photographer's actions. When he realised his mistake he did the right thing and apologised - hardly anti-English?

Ian W 24 Nov 2020

> This is comparable to a few years / weeks ago when black people were questioned when sitting in first class. Time to stop this nonsense Mr Blackford.

FTFY.

Gone for good 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

The problem I think lies with the fact that Mr Blackford took to his Twitter audience to voice his displeasure at the accused persons presence without firstly establishing the facts with the individual.  He only apologised after he was corrected and then deleted the tweet. Not the first politician to shoot first and certainly won't be the last.

ScraggyGoat 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

..and when he apologised he hid behind 'protecting his constituents'........a half baked apology, even before considering he does not represent the good folk of Caithness.

It was good he apologised, but he shouldn't have tried to justify or qualify his wrong actions, politicians never learn. 

Post edited at 16:55
 marsbar 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

You seriously think a mistake about where someone lives is anywhere near as serious as racism?  Get a grip.  

I'm English (mostly anyway) I wouldn't be in the slightest bit offended if someone assumed I lived in England.  Amused perhaps. 

marsbar 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Ian W:

I agree it still happens.  I don't agree that there is any meaningful comparison.  

ScraggyGoat 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Since when do we as individual citizens going about our simple daily business have to account for ourselves to politicians, in front of the hordes of social media?

We may have to account for ourselves before the law (in front of a jury of our fellow citizens), as devised and passed by our politicians onto the statues, but not directly.

DaveHK 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

If that's the worst you can accuse the SNP of at this point I reckon they must be doing ok.

Ian W 24 Nov 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> I agree it still happens.  I don't agree that there is any meaningful comparison.  

There is absolutely no comparison, meaningful or otherwise.

Lankyman 24 Nov 2020
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> Since when do we as individual citizens going about our simple daily business have to account for ourselves to politicians, in front of the hordes of social media?

> We may have to account for ourselves before the law (in front of a jury of our fellow citizens), as devised and passed by our politicians onto the statues, but not directly.

Dear God. Have you never called someone out and got it wrong? That's what this bloke did (big time). He apologized. And it's not anti-English even if he sprays it all over social media.

Removed User 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

While no fan of Billy Bunter I think this is a bit over hyped really.

He decided to pull someone up for travelling from England to Caithness without actually checking that he was still living in England when of course he was living in Scotland.

Just another case of an SNP politician talking shite. Nothing remarkable really.

DaveHK 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> This is comparable to a few decades ago when black people were questioned when sitting in first class. Time to stop this nonsense Mr Blackford.

I get that some people just hate the SNP, it's maybe a bit like the fact that some people just hate the Tories and can see no good in them.

However, if you know you fall into that camp you really should have a good hard think before getting up on your high horse of outrage. That's assuming you want to avoid looking like a bit of an eedjit by drawing ludicrous comparisons like the one above.

Post edited at 18:24
Removed User 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

This post has been up for nearly two hours. Where is Tom? is he OK?

mondite 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> This post has been up for nearly two hours. Where is Tom? is he OK?

On his way with a pitchfork to lynch the photographer? Bad signal area so hasnt spotted the cancellation.

Post edited at 18:02
 DaveHK 24 Nov 2020

I think if Tom and the OP met they'd probably instantly annihilate each other each being the others political antiparticle.

Post edited at 18:24
 Lankyman 24 Nov 2020

I can't wait!

Hang on ..... what's that noise? Sounds like teeth grinding ....

Post edited at 18:06
 rogerwebb 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

There are many things to criticise the SNP for but  I don't think being institutionally anti-English is one.

Some of their members may be but the party generally has a good record of disciplining or expelling those expressing such sentiments.

Tom Valentine 24 Nov 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Looking at Ollie Taylor's website it's a fair enough assumption to make since it says he's Dorset based. His FB page mentions a recent move to Caithness. 

Both show a lot of talent and some beautiful photography, I think.

Removed User 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yes, to be honest Bunter's foot in mouth has probably done his business quite some good. He's taken some beautiful photos.

https://www.ollietaylorphotography.com

Gone for good 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> Yes, to be honest Bunter's foot in mouth has probably done his business quite some good. He's taken some beautiful photos.

Wow! Superb photography. 

pec 24 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> If that's the worst you can accuse the SNP of at this point I reckon they must be doing ok.

Except it's not the worst. As an example, when the ranting blue faced die hards were "patrolling" the English/Scottish border over the summer Blackford didn't think he ought to act like a statesman and condemn their actions as provocative or hostile and call for a calm measured response. Instead he tweeted a picture of a mocked up border sign saying "We're Shut, F*ck Off"

Yanis Nayu 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Aside from the fact he was factually wrong, it was a shitty and irresponsible thing to do in any case - trying to set a Twitter on on a random civvy could have had terrible consequences. 

aln 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> Just another case of a politician talking shite. Nothing remarkable really.

Isn't that what you meant? 

Michael Hood 25 Nov 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

More importantly, on his website there's a magazine with an owl 🦉 on the cover 😁

https://twitter.com/ichbindabomb/status/1329177000821600260

ScraggyGoat 25 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Interesting; Lawyers now involved; though it appears they contacted Mr Taylor rather than the other way around:

In Mr Taylor’s letter of claim, his lawyer Charles Holland points out that his client lives in Halkirk, Caithness and is paying council tax.

It also accuses Mr Blackford of behaving in a manner that was “likely to cause serious harm” to Mr Taylor’s reputation by falsely suggesting he had “committed a criminal offence.”

The letter alleges Mr Blackford sought to humiliate and shame the photographer, adding: “My client appears to be the only recipient of a tweet of this nature from you.

“My client and no other person has been selected by you for a public dressing-down.

“This constitutes unlawful discrimination and harassment.

“You sought to bully my client in public, and you did so in a fashion that can fairly be described as menacing and sinister.

“Your tweet appears to have been designed to humiliate my client. It was discriminatory.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/267795...

I wonder how far this will run...........personally I would have accepted the apology and moved on as lifes too short....but Mr Taylor clearly has a different perspective.

mick taylor 25 Nov 2020
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

If true, then he needs to get a life as well. There’s enough shite going on without Blackford sticking his nose in (he should look closer to home for someone breaking covid regs) and causing trouble, and then this bloke fighting back. 

drunken monkey 25 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

It'd be like the cat/buttered toast scenario where you have potentially an endless source of energy

mick taylor 25 Nov 2020
In reply to drunken monkey:

> It'd be like the cat/buttered toast scenario where you have potentially an endless source of energy

What? Nigella has been teaching us to butter a cat?!  Hope it’s still the double butter method.  She’s getting weirder by the day. 

In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I'd probably have taken the lawyers call and let him get on with it. Probably no skin off the lads nose, sounds to me like he has a case from the lawyers description of events. Might get a pay out, might not.

Blackford would maybe learn a lesson in humility and think twice about trying to publicly shame someone next time.

I don't think its anti-English but it is a very poorly thought out thing to do. 

Iamgregp 25 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

>  it's maybe a bit like the fact that some people just hate the Tories and can see no good in them.

Guilty.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...