Mobile phone roaming changes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 08 Feb 2020

It might be too early to ask this question, but, does anyone know how mobile phone roaming is likely to change when we leave the EU?

At the moment there is the whole "roam like at home" thing pinned down by EU legislation so you can use a phone anywhere else in the EU without paying extra charges (and many providers extend this to some other non-EU countries).

Does this legislation get automatically kept by the whole bulk transfer of EU law into UK law when we leave? Would it require new legislation to role it back? Or do mobile phone providers suddenly get the ability to gouge us all the moment we leave/left by just changing their use conditions? I assume the answer is really that a change will happen at the end of the transition period, rather than the largely symbolic date a few days ago?

mullermn 08 Feb 2020
In reply to henwardian:

Simply wrap your handset in a ‘Got Brexit Done’ tea towel and it will gain a patriotic boost and tether directly to a proper mobile network back in Blighty. 

jimtitt 08 Feb 2020
In reply to henwardian:

Why do you assume you'll ever be going to the EU again?

wbo2 08 Feb 2020
In reply to henwardian:honestly? 

No laws are automatically transferred.  At the end of the transition period it will automatically disappear unless actively replaced

mal_meech 08 Feb 2020
In reply to henwardian:

We will end up paying more money...

JoshOvki 08 Feb 2020
In reply to henwardian:

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

> From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.

But I know a few companies have said they will carry on allowing it.

OP henwardian 08 Feb 2020
In reply to JoshOvki:

Thanks for that. That's very frustrating to know. Guess I'll have to find out from my provider closer to the time... my guess is that, competition in the mobile sector being as it is, if the major networks try and roll this stuff back, other companies will pile in to pick up customers that the big boys haemorrhage. But it will still mean the hassel of switching providers and porting my number over and so on.

Your link also reminded me of all the other crap that's going to be filling up my to-do list, driving licence and procuring a valid EHIC being chief among them

In reply to jimtitt:

> Why do you assume you'll ever be going to the EU again?

Because, unlike the unlucky minority (remain voters minus those who are also duel nationals), I have dual nationality with Ireland, so brexit is less brick wall and more road with potholes for my future as an European. I don't mean this in a smug way, while it's tempting to be a c*nt and think that way, in reality it's much more a sense of being relieved than conceited.

In reply to others:

Thank you for your tales of mixture of humour and doom. Sadly, as the teatowel solution would involve a financial contribution to the conservative party so that particular solution is beyond my abilities as a human being.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...