Middle age dilemma. Can I buy a breadmaker wich does not beep?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

When lockdown commenced, I removed the breadmaker from its home on top of the kitchen cupboard, cleaned off 20 yrs of dust and grease and started using it again.

The beeps it makes wind my already highly strung dog up into a yapping tasmanian devil.

Anyone know of a breadmaker that doesn't beep? 

Hooo 23 May 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

I don't, but if I was in your situation I would just open it up and cut the wires to the beeper. How are your DIY skills?

Actually, thinking about it... Don't go cutting wires if you don't know what you're doing. Just locate the beeper and fill it with glue.

Post edited at 12:48
In reply to Hooo:

I have opened up, located the beeper, cannot easily remove circuit board to remove it and replace with resistor, so have gummed it up with expoy putty. It is the frequency rather than the volume unfortunately. 

Hooo 23 May 2021

That was quick! Oh, you mean you've already done that

So it's still too loud even with it glued up? In that case if you can't unsolder it I'd just butcher it with pliers. It's very unlikely that you'd need to replace it with anything to make the machine work. 

profitofdoom 23 May 2021
In reply to Hooo:

> So it's still too loud even with it glued up? In that case if you can't unsolder it I'd just butcher it with pliers. It's very unlikely that you'd need to replace it with anything to make the machine work. 

No!!!!! Buy ear muffs for the dog. Problem solved

(There will be no charge for this advice)

In reply to Hooo:

It was a quick job, I think the poor thing has associated the breadmaker with the beep. 

Blue Straggler 23 May 2021
In reply to Hooo:

> I don't, but if I was in your situation I would just open it up and cut the wires to the beeper. How are your DIY skills?

> Actually, thinking about it... Don't go cutting wires if you don't know what you're doing. Just locate the beeper and fill it with glue.

I tried this with a plug-and-play single zone induction hob. Blu Tac made no difference and the beeper was surprisingly inaccessible without a very involved dismantling! 

jkarran 23 May 2021

De-beep the one you have. Even just filling the beep hole with glue will make a big difference but it'll have no idea you've removed the sounder if you want to go further.

Jk

In reply to Blue Straggler:

I would pay a premium for non beeping appliances. I guess I am not alone. The manufacturers won't listen, they can't, they are deafened and driven mad by all the beeping. 

Timmd 23 May 2021

I think your dog is telling you that if you buy your bread organically made from a shop which sells such bread, you're keeping a worthwhile business in business*, and potentially helping to reduce the cost of organic bread. 

*Glyphosate gets 'grown in' into the wheat kernels, since the growth continues after spraying and it can't be rinsed off, so organic bread is likely a good thing. It kills Japanese knotweed like a trooper - is probably worth not ingesting if avoidable.

Post edited at 18:51
 Timmd 23 May 2021

I could ask my Dad's partner whether her bread maker beeps if you like?

flatlandrich 23 May 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> *Glyphosate gets 'grown in' into the wheat kernels, since the growth continues after spraying and it can't be rinsed off, so organic bread is likely a good thing. It kills Japanese knotweed like a trooper - is probably worth not ingesting if avoidable.

Why would farmers spray Glyphosate on a growing crop they were planning on harvesting? 

Timmd 23 May 2021
In reply to flatlandrich:

Here you go. It helps with the 'drying down' of the wheat, if they spray it 2 weeks before harvesting, seemingly because it kills it which makes it dry/dryer when they harvest it which helps during the processing, and it helps too because it kills off any weeds which may be present and be an annoyance during threshing.

https://www.ecowatch.com/roundup-cancer-1882187755.html

It's a good thing that you asked, though, because it's cleaned up a wrong impression I had, being that it could be applied more than during that stage of the process. So it does get sprayed on it, but not in the manner I was under the impression of.

Post edited at 19:39
 flatlandrich 23 May 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks for the link, that was a bit of an eye opener as I had no idea that Glyphosate was used in that manner, although it does make sense from a farming point of view when weather conditions might prevent normal harvesting. 

In reply to Timmd:

Ah, you mentioned that word "shop", the whole idea is to avoid such places as much as possible. I have managed well over 12 months so far. 

Jenny C 23 May 2021

> I would pay a premium for non beeping appliances. I guess I am not alone. The manufacturers won't listen, they can't, they are deafened and driven mad by all the beeping. 

And yet the new oven we bought during lockdown has beeper on the timer that is so quiet I barely hear it. I get what you're saying about unwanted beeping, but I do find it handy to hear the alarm when I've set a timer to alert me when my food is ready.

Timmd 23 May 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet: I'll message my Dad's partner and ask whether her device beeps or not, I think it might do minimally, but it's not a beepitibeepbeep device.

Alkis 23 May 2021

This is peak UKC I think! 😆

That said, have you considered just crushing the beeper and removing it like that? You shouldn't have to replace it with a resistor, whatever is driving it should be perfectly happy with an open circuit there.

gravy 25 May 2021
In reply to Hooo:

Easier to apply tape and blutack to the bleeper

graeme jackson 25 May 2021
In reply to gravy:

> Easier to apply tape and blutack to the bleeper

Easier to get rid of the dog.

rsc 25 May 2021

I’m a bread maker (because lockdown) and I only beep under severe provocation!

Seriously though, I got bored with bread machine bread and tried hand-made - after the first brick or two it’s not hard to get bread that’s better than the machine or anything you could buy for less than £3 a loaf. Have a go!

MonkeyPuzzle 25 May 2021

De-bark the dog.

lboutside 25 May 2021

> I would pay a premium for non beeping appliances. I guess I am not alone. The manufacturers won't listen, they can't, they are deafened and driven mad by all the beeping. 

I bought a new washing machine when I moved house, when it finishes a wash it legitimately plays a musical tune for almost 30 seconds and it drives me up the wall. If I want to turn it off I have to turn off all beeping which includes actual handy beeps like "you didn't close the door properly idiot" or "hey stupid, you overloaded me again" haha

In reply to rsc:

I have tried. The machine bread is very good (far superior to bag loves) for <5mins work. Hand made can be better but doesn't give a good enough return on investment for me. 

Fredt 25 May 2021

I had the same problem with a bedside coffee-maker. (It was my morning brain that objected, not a dog)

Simply located the bleeper, oriented it to face upwards and dripped superglue into it. Now it's totally silent.

BruceM 25 May 2021

Have you seen 5 minute bread?  Google.  It's really good.  Really quick and easy to prep and store.  And quickly put to an end our 15+ years of breadmaker bread every day.  Takes couple of iterations to get volumes and technique down: thereafter, home boulangerie - well...but not bad for effort required. Doesn't beep either.

summo 25 May 2021
In reply to flatlandrich:

> Why would farmers spray Glyphosate on a growing crop they were planning on harvesting? 

It's already on the seeds and it's taken up by the plant, and there are other herbicides that are sprayed which kill the weeds, but not the wheat. 

If you buy any cereal product that is not organic, it will have glyphosate and others in it. Pasta, bread, breakfast cereal... anything with wheat, oats, maize or barley in it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...