Microwave meltdown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hjonesy 07 Feb 2007

Ooooh, I'm all about the hysteria inducing emails today clearly! My friend (who had cancer of the lymph nodes) sent this to me. She's now convinced that her mother filling her with microwave food was to blame. Glad we never had one when I was growing up so I never think to use one particularly.

All the scientists on here.....is there any truth in all this?

FORENSIC RESEARCH DOCUMENT
Prepared By: William P. Kopp
A. R. E. C. Research Operations
TO61-7R10/10-77F05
RELEASE PRIORITY: CLASS I ROO1a
Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven
From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical studies, we can no longer
ignore the microwave oven sitting in our kitchens. Based on this research, we will conclude this article
with the following:
1) Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term - permanent - brain
damage by "shorting out" electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the
brain tissue].
2) The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in
microwaved food.
3) Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating
microwaved foods.
4) The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the
human body.
5) Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human
body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be
broken down.
6) The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave
ovens.
7) Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain
the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.
8) The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.
9) Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph
gland and blood serum alterations.
10) Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a
decrease of intelligence.
Have you tossed out your microwave oven yet?
After you throw out your microwave you can use a toaster oven as a replacement. It works well for most
and is nearly as quick. The use of artificial microwave transmissions for subliminal psychological control,
a.k.a. "brainwashing", has also been proven. We're attempting to obtain copies of the 1970's Russian
research documents and results written by Drs. Luria and Perov specifying their clinical experiments in
this area.
Regis Von Goatlips 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:
I'm not qualified to speak on the scientific research data but chances are there's more than a little truth to it.
Glad to read your friend is as you've implied, clear.
 bigbobbyking 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

sounds like a load of rubbish to me...
Cats 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

Some of this is clearly bull. For example, if we don't know what microwaving turns food into, how can we know if the body can break it down or not? And how does microwaved food de-magnetise the brain? Is the brain magentised in the first place?

I'm glad your friend is well now, but my view is she was simply unlucky.
KevinD 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

hmmm, the lack of actual scientific studies referenced and the use of "scientific clinical trials".
A forensic research paper which, well, contains no research and just some unsupported assertations.
Hjonesy 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Regis Von Goatlips:
> (In reply to Hjonesy)
> I'm not qualified to speak on the scientific research data but chances are there's more than a little truth to it.
> Glad to read your friend is as you've implied, clear.

Thanks, yes she's been passing her check ups with flying colours for about 10 years now!
Hjonesy 07 Feb 2007
In reply to dissonance:

It does appear to be a bit weak doesn't it......but you can't discount the fact that there may be just a semblance of truth in there somewhere
 Dominion 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

OK, it's probably rubbish...

But I've been eating a lot of "cooked in the microwave" food over the last three years, the microwave being my only oven.

(NB But less than a dozen, in that period, of "microwave meals" - nearly everything is cooked from scratch, just that the microwave does the cooking)

For the last 6 months or so I've been having "digestive" problems, which I have assumed to be a flare-up of an intestinal problem I've been on medication for since 1992 or so.

But it has crossed my mind that I may be losing essential vitamins and minerals because of microwave cooking.

More research is needed (on my part)

PS Some parts of that report are ludicrous, just off to Snopes to check it out...

Iain Forrest 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:
I received this warning a while back, and I suppose I'd better pass it on:

WARNING, VIRUS ALERT:

If you receive an email message with a subject line of "Badtimes," delete it immediately WITHOUT reading it. This is the most dangerous virus yet developed.

It will rewrite your hard drive. Not only that, but it will scramble any computer disks and cassette tapes that are even close to your computer (up to 20 feet).

It will recalibrate your refrigerator's coolness setting so all your ice cream melts and your milk curdles. It will demagnetize the strips on all your credit cards, reprogram your ATM access code, screw up the tracking on your VCR and use subspace field harmonics to scratch any CDs you try to play.

It will give your ex-boy/girlfriend your new phone number. It will program your phone autodial to call only your mother's number. It is insidious and subtle. It is dangerous virus to be taken very seriously.

It will mix antifreeze into your fish tank. It will drink all your beer. It will hide your car keys when you are late for work and interfere with your car radio so that you hear only 1940's hits and static while stuck in traffic.

It will give you nightmares about circus midgets.

It will replace your shampoo with Nair and your Nair with Rogaine, all while dating your current boy/girlfriend behind your back and billing their hotel rendezvous to your Visa card.

It will seduce your grandmother. It does not even matter if she is dead, such is the power of "Badtimes;" it reaches out beyond the grave to sully those things we hold most dear.

It will overwrite your word documents, changing all your active verbs to passive tense and incorporating undetectable misspellings which grossly change the interpretation of key sentences.

Badtimes will give you Dutch Elm disease. It will leave the toilet seat up and leave the hairdryer plugged in dangerously close to a full bathtub. It will remove the forbidden tags from your mattresses and pillows, and refill your skim milk carton with whole.

Badtimes is an evil virus conceived by evil people. It is your duty to help alert the world!

PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!
Hjonesy 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Iain Forrest:

Good to see you're getting in the spirit Iain!
ICE 07 Feb 2007
reply to Iain Forrest
 Nic 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Iain Forrest:

>>>[it will create] undetectable misspellings which grossly change the interpretation of key sentences.

Someone better tell Alan that Rocktalk has been infected for years...
XXXX 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

Please tell me this is a joke.

Glen 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

Hopefully this a troll.

But just in case it's not, I can catagorically say, without a shadow of a doubt, that there is not a single scrap of truth in any of those statements.
fijibaby 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:
Most of the above seems like rubbish to me, given we've ben using them for 30 odd years without us all losing our minds (point 10)
I think there's more risk of radiation from a mobile phone than a micro. Especially given you never hold a micro to your head for 30 minutes.
Good article here for further readng: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/050506.html
Hjonesy 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Eric the Red:

Probably, it's one of those email circular things.

Got another one this morning but it's SO unbelievable I can't even be ars*d to post it for a laugh!
Removed User 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:
Cobblers.

We had some bright spark demand we look into it at work and the upshot was that there had been some research (and before you all start hopping up and down, I haven't seen it nor have a link to it ) that stated microwaving blood products (ie to warm up prior to transfusion) was a bad idea. This then got jumped on and was seen as any meat with blood in it shouldn't be microwaved as it could be dangerous, then further to all food shouldn't be microwaved.
Load of rubbish. Keep eating.
 jkarran 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Hjonesy:

What you get out of a microwave (food wise, we'll ignore any EM fields as that's not what this 'paper' covers) is no more dangerous than when it goes in except of course, it's hot and can explode under certian conditions.

What people put into their microwaves may well be more dangerous than what people put in their agas 50 years ago, that's debatable and not the subject of this 'paper'.

Look at it and think for a second, they may as well have written:

"This paper was written by a fool with a grade c science GCSE, access to too much crap off the web and a grudge agaist microwaves, here follows ten reasons why you should bin your microwave:

1 - I don't like them so I made this up...
2 - I don't like them so I made this even dafter assertion up...

blah blah blah

10 - Not even I believe this crazy statement... microwaved food attracts intergalactic aliens and once digested is used to guide their anal probes.

Don't forget - PANIC your food is killing you!!!!!"

Utter guff.
jk
KevinD 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Glen:

> But just in case it's not, I can catagorically say, without a shadow of a doubt, that there is not a single scrap of truth in any of those statements.

the one about some mineral/vitamins losing effectiveness (but not the bit about them turning into killers) might have something going for it, considering different (traditional) cooking methods can effect vitamin retention.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...