Michelin stared vegan menu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mutt 02 Jan 2022

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/jan/02/out-with-the-meat-in-with-the-...

no longer can it be claimed that meat is a necessary component of fine dining.

timjones 02 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

There is a world of difference between fine dining and good eating

J101 02 Jan 2022
In reply to timjones:

Beans on toast is vegan, and that's some good eating!

There's been a vegan market sporadically near me over the last year, had some really great vegan takeaway from there, the Mac n Not Cheese was amazing.

Alkis 02 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

To be fair, even though I'm not a vegan, whenever I find any restaurants that are vegan-only I give them a shot, as they typically know what they're doing. I have yet to be disappointed (although I pass one badly reviewed ones, which pre-filters it).

Alkis 02 Jan 2022
In reply to J101:

> There's been a vegan market sporadically near me over the last year, had some really great vegan takeaway from there, the Mac n Not Cheese was amazing.

I made some vegan Mac&Cheese(-ish) for a club trip a few years back and it was a great success. It's all about the nutritional yeast, and the addition of chargrilled veg certainly helps. Well worth adding to one's cooking repertoire.

timjones 02 Jan 2022
In reply to J101:

> Beans on toast is vegan, and that's some good eating!

Toast is most definitely not good eating, if I want to eat dried up bread I'll do my bit to save the planet and leave it to go stale on the window sill for a few days

> There's been a vegan market sporadically near me over the last year, had some really great vegan takeaway from there, the Mac n Not Cheese was amazing.

I'mm all for choice but I think I'll stick with real cheese thank you.

In reply to mutt:

I ate at the Black Swan at Oldstead last year for a celebration and we asked for gluten free vegan and it was very good indeed, so said the person that ordered it.

Tom Valentine 02 Jan 2022
In reply to timjones:

If toast is not good eating, how does one dispose of a spoonfui of Marmite (unless you are excluding crumpet s from your comment)

ianstevens 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> If toast is not good eating, how does one dispose of a spoonfui of Marmite (unless you are excluding crumpet s from your comment)

I’ve heard the bin is a pretty effective alternative 

Morty 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine

> If toast is not good eating, how does one dispose of a spoonfull of Marmite (unless you are excluding crumpet s from your comment)

On two slices of wholemeal bread, slathered with peanut butter, pickles and Marmite?

Sir Chasm 02 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

Bits like this make me laugh "Gauthier – whose plant-based menu is 50% vegan". Most of our xmas dinner (most of most of our meals) was vegan, the sprouts, roast potatoes, bread sauce, Yorkshire pudding, were all 100% meat free, but the capon, stuffing, pigs in blankets and gravy were a bit meaty. Still, half vegan is ok. 

In reply to mutt:

Anyone would think a vegan diet is a new thing... It's not as if Buddhists and many Hindus haven't been eating such a diet for a year or two...

Toccata 02 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

It’s a little bit like saying “no longer can it be claimed that Scotland is a necessary component of mixed climbing” just because someone has been to the Alps.

Ramblin dave 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Toccata:

Yeah, I think anyone who's still claiming at this point that you can't make a good meal without a big chunk of meat is basically being cussed! There's enough stuff that just happens to not include any animal products (starting with beans on toast), before getting into deliberate efforts, modern or traditional, to create vegan cuisines.

That said, from an environmental point of view it looks like most of us should probably be reducing the amount of animal products in our diets anyway, so I guess any positive attention being paid to this stuff is probably to be welcomed?

Post edited at 21:39
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Anyone would think a vegan diet is a new thing... It's not as if Buddhists and many Hindus haven't been eating such a diet for a year or two...

Even relatively recently when on working trips to China, describing myself as vegan drew blank stares. However, one of our translators said I was a ‘Buddhist’ and from then on I got stunning vegan food everywhere I went.

felt 03 Jan 2022
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

I was in Tacheddirt in the Atlas last century and told my host I was a vegetarian. I was given a much smaller portion of lamb than everyone else.

In reply to felt:

> I was in Tacheddirt in the Atlas last century and told my host I was a vegetarian. I was given a much smaller portion of lamb than everyone else.

Makes a change from the boiled ham, boiled eggs, cheese and fish that I get given😂

profitofdoom 03 Jan 2022
In reply to timjones:

> There is a world of difference between fine dining and good eating

Dead right, thinking of a couple of very expensive restaurants I have been to. Huge effort was put into presentation rather than a good nosh. The main dish filled about 10% of the plate. We went away still hungry. What a waste. Never again 

Maybe I am a peasant, if so am glad to be one 

J101 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

"When you're tired of toast and marmite you're tired of life"

Me as I push down the lever on the toaster this morning for a second helping.

seankenny 03 Jan 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Anyone would think a vegan diet is a new thing... It's not as if Buddhists and many Hindus haven't been eating such a diet for a year or two...

My partner and her family are Buddhist and none are vegan, some are vegetarian and many eat meat. Might be different in China or Korea though.

Timmd 03 Jan 2022
In reply to timjones:

> There is a world of difference between fine dining and good eating

I don't mind fine dining, but often I'd like there to be twice as much, satisfaction from eating is feeling sated as well as liking the taste.

Fine dining cooking can be very skilful, no doubt about that...

Post edited at 15:59
 GrahamD 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Timmd:

Thing about fine dining is it doesn't have to be nutritionally sound - just taste good.

mbh 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Timmd:

> I don't mind fine dining, but often I'd like there to be twice as much, satisfaction from eating is feeling sated as well as liking the taste.

I've only done fine dining once, if you can call it that as it was only two stars (Michael Caines at Gidleigh Park). It was by far the best restaurant food and experience I have ever had. The portions were all small, but there were many 'in-between' tidbits not mentioned on the menu, including the three cake/pudding offerings that came with the final coffee, each of which must have been a mountain of labour.

I was very full at the end, and very happy to have gone.

Dan Arkle 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Bits like this make me laugh "Gauthier – whose plant-based menu is 50% vegan".

His menu has two clear themes;

Half of it (50%)  is vegan versions of classic French dishes like soufflé or foie gras.

AND

Half of it is more experimental vegan dishes.

The language in the report was a bit sloppy, so we'll let you off.

If 50% of dishes on any restaurant menu were vegan, then that would be amazing for vegans who currently might have a choice of two dishes, or no choice at all.

Post edited at 16:57
 felt 03 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

Anyone been to L'Enclume? My eldest keeps nagging me to take him.

In reply to felt:

> Anyone been to L'Enclume? My eldest keeps nagging me to take him.

I have friends who have. Said it was the mutts nuts.

In reply to J101:

> Beans on toast is vegan, and that's some good eating!

> There's been a vegan market sporadically near me over the last year....

It's called the fruit and veg stall 

mark s 04 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

Is this the restaurant Dave mccloud always raves and rates and constantly tells people they should be visiting . 

OP mutt 04 Jan 2022
In reply to mark s:

What ever Dave McCloud might say based on his piecemeal survey of Google results in pub med I am personally very happy that my personal choice not to fck up the atmosphere and bring misery to numerous birds and mammals is supported in the catering industry (at last). 

I will of course let Dave know when I start feeling the negative effects of protein deficiency but for the time being I am able to function at sufficient level. If he feels the need to kill cows to maintain his lead over me then that's on him.

mark s 04 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

I'm not a veggie but his constant posts about the benefits of eating meat based on Micky mouse research is like a stuck record.  Someones diet is their business and if they feel healthy then good for them. 

GEd_83 05 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

Calcium, Omega 3, Zinc, and especially B12 would be the main serious deficiencies to keep an eye out for.

The New NickB 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Yorkshire Puddings and Bread Sauce. That doesn’t sound very vegan to me, what with the eggs and milk.

geckoboy 05 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

As the popularity of vegan and vegetarian diets increases so will the quality and variety of the food on offer.

I'll never forget the "vegetarian burger" I had in France a few years ago though. Was 1 euro less then the meat version and the difference was they just removed the meat element. What I actually got was essentially a cheese and salad roll!

Sir Chasm 05 Jan 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

> Yorkshire Puddings and Bread Sauce. That doesn’t sound very vegan to me, what with the eggs and milk.

The cream, butter and dripping weren't vegan either. But the bread, flour and onion were. So maybe half vegan. 

OP mutt 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> The cream, butter and dripping weren't vegan either. But the bread, flour and onion were. So maybe half vegan. 

Not even vegetarian then ...... Oh dear me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...