Men's park skate final

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 05 Aug 2021

Wow! That was amazing. 

What phenomenal skill. That Aussie winning run was spectacular.

Post edited at 22:06
 balmybaldwin 05 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Really enjoyed the "Park" comps, both Men and Women.  Thought it was much easier for a layman (me) to judge the quality of the runs (and there was much quality), whereas the street seemed a bit too staccato and fiddly to pick up what was different about the tricks etc.

Tom Last 06 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

The Aussie kid is a maniac. Superb stuff. 

digby 06 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

But the commentary... just shut up for a moment!! The BBC seem terrified of silence from the commentators. As in the boxing - unrelenting. They even need two commentators in case one dries up for a millisecond.

In reply to Flinticus:

That was tremendous, bold, risky, top skills and Limp Bizkit, Motörhead and AC/DC playing as they drop in. Thoroughly enjoyable even as a punter to watch, and proper exciting competition.
Overwhelmingly positive comments about the speed climbing on my Twitter, which surprised me. Overall, left wondering if the bouldering/lead will become as huge as the hype suggested? I don’t think the coverage/incomprehensible scoring/unified event helped. I love Boulder and Lead comps, but I do wonder how compelling they are to non climbers?

graeme jackson 06 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I have to admit the Skateboarding has been the only sport I've watched this olympics. I have little interest in anything else on display. A mate sent a vid of some 'one man karate' thing going on. WTAF!

Watched the mens final on iplayer after I got back from an hour at Livi skatepark. Fantastic to see bit it put me well and truly in my place. However, I bet the smell of weed was stronger at livi than in Japan

OP Flinticus 06 Aug 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

What I saw of the bouldering and lead was quite limited. I don't think many non-climbers or gymnasts would fully understand the flex, balance, skill, strength and endurance required. Perhaps better televising might help? The angles / overhangs etc. did not translate well on my iplayer on my phone / laptop.

deacondeacon 06 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm really surprised at that. All non climbers that I spoke to couldn't believe how small the holds are that the climbers were using  particularly when they were grabbing the edges of volumes "just using their fingernails!!!". Also the boulder problem with the bat hang got mentioned a lot too. What surprised me was how much, non climbers enjoyed the speed climbing (I found it a little dull tbh).

I've got a feeling the walls are going to do very, very well out of the Olympics 🙂, and rightly so, we've got a Brill hobby!

james1978 07 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Just incredible. Kickflip 540 just for starters! The kid was totally seamless for his whole run.

Jenny C 07 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

> What I saw of the bouldering and lead was quite limited. I don't think many non-climbers or gymnasts would fully understand the flex, balance, skill, strength and endurance required. Perhaps better televising might help? The angles / overhangs etc. did not translate well on my iplayer on my phone / laptop.

I thought the bouldering came over really badly on the BBC coverage. Poor camera angles and terrible editing made it really difficult to get any kind of feel for the problems.

In reply to digby:

> But the commentary... just shut up for a moment!! The BBC seem terrified of silence from the commentators. As in the boxing - unrelenting. They even need two commentators in case one dries up for a millisecond.

I agree, it was utter drivel from start to finish with phrases such as "He's literally thrown the kitchen sink at this run" popping up in every commentary.

aln 12 Aug 2021
In reply to graeme jackson:

>  I bet the smell of weed was stronger at livi than in Japan

The smell of weed is the smell of C Scotland. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...