Meanewhile, foreign trade receives a boost

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 23 Aug 2021

Hidden by the Afghan debacle is this gem. Excuse the sycophantic comments in the link: it was the least offensive I could find.

https://tenstockstobuy.com/2021/08/23/lord-botham-is-set-to-bat-for-british...

Lankyman 23 Aug 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

He's got his own brand of (Aussie) wine already.

dread-i 23 Aug 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

I didn't realise he was a lord. Hitting a ball with a stick, is a great qualification for governing the country and negotiating complex trade deals.

"...bringing cheaper barbecue food and wine to supermarkets."

So would that be Aussie lamb and beef? (In direct competition with UK farmers.)

Mike Stretford 23 Aug 2021
In reply to dread-i:

> "...bringing cheaper barbecue food and wine to supermarkets."

> So would that be Aussie lamb and beef? (In direct competition with UK farmers.)

Yup, we've got a government in full Doublethink mode when it comes to trade and climate change.

EddInaBox 23 Aug 2021
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Not 'Doublethink' rather 'Twofaced' mode, constantly claim they are making things environmentally sustainable but in reality having no intention of changing anything.

AllanMac 23 Aug 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

The old bat does "beefy" now as well as cheesy.

What could possibly go wrong?

Cobra_Head 23 Aug 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

He's going to be our Shreaded Wheat ambassador, we'll all be farting through silk soon.

In reply to Greenbanks:

He's unlikely to go walkabout, what with his bad feet and circulation. But maybe those electric stimulation things he punts on telly really are the business...

Andy Clarke 23 Aug 2021
In reply to dread-i:

> Hitting a ball with a stick, is a great qualification for governing the country...

My dear chap, don't be such an oik - Eton fives is played with the hand only.

In reply to Greenbanks:

I saw this described as 'government by satire' - it's certainly hard to see it as anything else but performative trolling. I see they gave Kate Hoey and some Dupper similar roles.

It'll be interesting to see how like America we've become - evidently for Trump fans  cronyism and useless governance is part of the point; they reject the very idea of having a sensible government. Are we at the same point, I wonder, or will the electorate notice and care how these people are behaving?

jcm

In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

>  will the electorate notice and care how these people are behaving?

Not enough that it will make a difference.

We are going to have Tory rule for the next ten years, people are apathetic about the country despite how much they like to bang on about this "great" nation and as long as they're comfortable bugger all will change. 

We are becoming America; culturally, morally and politically. God/ Buddha/ Vishnu/ Mohammed/ Jebus help us all!

henwardian 24 Aug 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

Honest question: Is this satirical or actual news? I can't tell.

MonkeyPuzzle 24 Aug 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

"Trade Envoy" is a PR position basically. Botham is an obvious choice for the Australia position, and I say this as someone who dislikes Ian Botham and hates this government. Prince Andrew used to be a Trade Envoy. Say no more.

Shani 24 Aug 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

I'm old enough to remember a time when MPs demanded sport stars stay out of politics.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/conservative-mp-england-stars-politics-102355425....

Shani 24 Aug 2021
In reply to Shani:

I'm also old enough to remember when Ian Botham described Ian Botham's suitability for trade negotiations thus:

"I’m enjoying [being a Lord] and will be at Westminster more often when we get back to normal, especially when they are debating something I know about – like sport or the countryside. Not much point if it’s a trade deal with Japan."

Self-awareness is Beefy's strongest quality!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/nov/24/ian-botham-covid-19-brexit-he...

dread-i 24 Aug 2021
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

>"Trade Envoy" is a PR position basically.

Unless you make wine in Australia and you're doing a trade deal that will allow more wine from Australia to enter the country. To some, it may seem that there is a conflict of interest. To others, well, he supported the gov in brexit, so it's right he gets his due. There is enough gravy for everyone.

Jim Hamilton 24 Aug 2021
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Has it always been so?  Tony's Cronies, Brown-Nosers, Dave's Faves ? 

MonkeyPuzzle 24 Aug 2021
In reply to dread-i:

Botham will not be "doing a trade deal", he'll be glad handing people for photographs and getting bums on seats. I wouldn't put it past this government to line their pockets to the detriment of the country at large, but there's nothing in Botham's appointment in and of itself that indicates that. Please see what actual trade experts, even ones highly critical of Brexit and cronyism, are saying about this - basically they don't care.

Shani 24 Aug 2021
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Botham will not be "doing a trade deal", he'll be glad handing people for photographs and getting bums on seats. 

"Aussies are big and empty, just like their country." Ian Botham being quite the charmer!

https://loveexpands.com/quotes/ian-botham-432158/

Can you imagine the amount of "fu*k off" that would be thrown at David Campese if he was sent as a trade envoy to the UK? 

I think Aussies will get more out of fu*king Botham off than letting him schmooze them.

Mike Stretford 24 Aug 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

Pleasantly surprised, it turns out old Beefy is not a climate change denier

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/14/shame-eco-hypocrites-ripping-tr...

(paywalled but Stichtplate's dog could get passed it and see the text)

So, he could do some good in Australia after all.

Post edited at 15:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...