Mattresses - those online home trials

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 19 Nov 2020

I was sure I'd asked this before. Looking for a new mattress for guest room and assumed those online rolled mattresses were offering better value for money, but even with 35% black Friday deal they are more expensive than normal mattresses.

Anyone tried one and on what basis are they for 2 to 3 times the price of a pocket spring branded mattress.

Mick B 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

I got an Emma mattress earlier this year and knew I couldn’t sleep on it from the first night. 
I went through the returns procedure and they came and collected it and refunded me without any hassle at all. 
I assume that this is factored into the price explaining their high cost. 

In the end I went for the best one ikea did at a fraction of the price which I’m very happy with. 

Dax H 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Mick B:

Conversely I got an Emma mattress and for the first time in 20 years I no longer wake up in pain from various joints. 

It's also the first time I have spent less than a grand on mattress. 

It did spent a week in the back room whilst the god awful chemical smell went away and it took about a week sleeping on it for it to start to bed in. 

Can't speak for longevity as we have only had it for about 4 months. 

mrphilipoldham 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

We've bought two kingsize having moved house a few months ago. First one was about £400, second one a bit cheaper. One is an Eve, can't remember the other. How long they'll last remains to be seen but they're both seriously comfy and feel far superior to any cheaper traditional mattress, but it is horses for courses, of course. 

OP Philip 19 Nov 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I'm sure they're better than a cheap mattress, but my point is they are positioned at a price twice that of an expensive branded mattress. Being delivered in a box is no advantage to me, that's a cost saving for them. I thought originally, when they were foam only, they were competitive. Now the hybrid ones seem unexplainably dear.

In reply to Philip: We have an Eve hybrid mattress. At first  we bought a memory foam one but found it too firm but Eve exchanged it very quickly for the hybrid one and it is the comfiest mattress I've ever slept on.

Dax H 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

Define twice the price of an expensive branded mattress. 

Our king-size Emma is £600.though we got it on sale for £350.

In the past we have paid between £1k and £2k for an expensive mattress. 

2k on a mattress that last 10 years at 8 hours a night is good value, £350 on one with an unknown life span but doesn't cause me pain is  fantastic value. 

john arran 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> Conversely I got an Emma mattress and for the first time in 20 years I no longer wake up in pain from various joints. 

> It's also the first time I have spent less than a grand on mattress. 

You mean you're in the habit of spending way over the odds for things that simply don't work? You're not the UK government by any chance, are you?

OP Philip 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Dax H:

I spent £300 on a silent night 1500 spring mattress and it was lovely and comfortable. Before that we had the one advertised by the duck and the elephant and that was great too, it really was possible for me to get up without waking my wife.

The Otty Hybrid Pure is 700 down to 470 in the sale.

This is for our guest room, so I want it to be very comfortable for my parents and in laws. I think it would be great if 470 got me a £2k mattress, but I have no concept of what a 2k mattress is given the comfort I've had with ~300.

Dax H 20 Nov 2020
In reply to john arran:

> You mean you're in the habit of spending way over the odds for things that simply don't work? You're not the UK government by any chance, are you?

What is way over the odds for a bit of furniture that often gets more use than anything else in the house? 

Dax H 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

I have had cheap mattresses and expensive ones. 

Without fail I have had less pain and a better night's sleep on the more expensive ones but this new Emma one is the first time I have been pain free in 30 years. 

That is very good going considering my various pains have been getting worse year on year for the last 30 years too. 

SDM 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

> I'm sure they're better than a cheap mattress, but my point is they are positioned at a price twice that of an expensive branded mattress.

They are typically in the range of £5-600 for a double and they can have deals that work out better than that too. More expensive than the most budget options but still definitely at the cheaper end of the market.

I spent a couple of weeks trying out every mattress I could at all of the stores. Other than a £3000 Tempur that I loved but never would have considered due to the price, the Simba was the most comfortable to me and I preferred it to lots of mattresses costing twice as much. At e tube, you could try Simba, Eve and Emma mattresses in stores so Casper were the only major brand were truly an online exclusive.

The memory foam smell took a while to wear off, but it improved the quality of my sleep massively.

Mattress preference is a very personal thing so go try a load out (when it is safe and allowed to do so).The Black Friday deals are nothing special so there's no point rushing if you don't need one immediately. I would never buy a mattress I hadn't tested.  A good night's sleep is so important to your health, your ability to recover after climbing training, and dealing with other stresses in life. It is the one piece of furniture where I would prioritise quality over budget where possible.

As for the trials (that aren't unique to the online companies), the returned mattresses can't be resold. They will either be donated to charity or destroyed. 

mrphilipoldham 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

No what I'm saying is that they're of better quality and more comfortable than a traditional mattress in the same price bracket. I'd go so far to say that it's more comfortable than some of the £1k+ traditional mattresses I've had the pleasure of sleeping on in the past, however it's difficult to accurately judge last night's sleep to one months or years ago. I wouldn't automatically consider a £1k traditional mattress to be any better than a £400 Eve one, knowing what I know now even if money were no object, but as I say.. horses for courses and one man's comfort is another man's bed of nails.

Ciro 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

We bought a rem fit 500 ortho last week.

I was sceptical of the concept of a rolled up mattress. Having previously been of the opinion that the custom foam mattress I had made up for the van (at a cost of £140) was the best thing I'd ever slept on, I also felt that the laws of diminishing returns would apply and the expensive foam mattress was unlikely to be significantly better.

However, my partner was keen to give it a go, and I'm very glad she persuaded me. Without doubt the comfiest mattress I've ever slept on. It replaced a very expensive sprung mattress, and the difference is phenomenal. 

It stays supportive and flat right to the edge, so no matter how much I roll about in the night there's the same level of comfort. It's very firm (which I prefer for my back), but at the same time the memory foam layer is super soft and floaty.

I have an inch of memory foam on the van mattress, but this manages to feel softer, more supportive and cooler and more breathable all at the same time.

I thought the claims about the quality of the foam would be marketing hype but I have been very pleasantly surprised to find it's not.

If that all sounds very gushing, it's because I'm genuinely blown away by just how good it is 😁

oldie 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

We bought a kingsize rolled one on recommendation from a friend. Can't remember make, probably about £300 six years ago. They didn't make any extra firm ones, presumably due to the nature of material, packing etc.

It was good but after a year was no longer comfortable enough for my wife. I had put solid ply over the bed slats; they assured me this was OK but I think perhaps just sales talk as AFAIK all foam mattresses need to breathe. This may have affected its longevity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...