Mattresses - those online home trials

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 19 Jul 2020

When you go to a showroom you try different firmness and pick what suits. But these online mattresses are generally a single design.

So is the whole firmness things just bollocks then? Anyone tried these things, does anyone send them back. Seems hard to imagine they have anything less than 5 star reviews as if not happy they can just sent it back.

minimike 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

We bought an Otty Hybrid a couple Of years ago. We didn’t send it back. In fact we got another for the spare room! It’s quite firm for a mattress in a box, but I like that. Tried the Emma in a shop an found it quite soft.

Their returns policy seems good (although not tested by me) but these companies rely on their return being easy so you’d have heard if there were problems..

tjdodd 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

This is an interesting read on the mattress business

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/12/mattress-landfill-crisi...

minimike 19 Jul 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Ah, in that case I recommend a bed of nails.. apparently they come with free sackcloth and ashes these days! ;-p

Fozzy 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

We went to Ikea and spent a couple of hours or so trying different ones out. Fortunately the one we ended up with is incredibly comfy. 

john arran 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

I have a suspicion that mattresses get blamed for a lot of sleep issues people have that really are nothing to do with the comfort of the bed. It's an easy target.

I'm not saying that sleeping on a really poor mattress should feel fine, but in my experience of sleeping on a wide variety of hotel, guesthouse and friends' beds there really isn't a lot of difference between very expensive and almost bottom of the line. And if a bed is disturbingly soft it's usually not the fault of the mattress as there usually is too much give in whatever the mattress is sitting on.

Added to that, the supposed technology that's claimed to go into some of these contraptions is reminiscent of expensive toothbrushes in the level of overthought that seems to have gone into what is, at heart, a very simple product.

I'm a fan of simple foam mattresses, with nothing to go wrong and nothing to justify a high price tag.

DenzelLN 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Philip:

I bought a Simba mattress that had been sent back and then resold as a reconditioned jobby. Its bloody great.

In reply to Philip: we bought an Eve foam mattress but did not find it as comfortable as expected so swapped it for a hybrid (spring/foam) one which is amazing . The company were fantastic and sorted everything out really quickly.

JohnBson 19 Jul 2020
In reply to DenzelLN:

> I bought a Simba mattress that had been sent back and then resold as a reconditioned jobby. Its bloody great.

I wouldn't want a reconditioned Jobbie, each to their own. 

Dax H 20 Jul 2020
In reply to john arran:

> I'm not saying that sleeping on a really poor mattress should feel fine, but in my experience of sleeping on a wide variety of hotel, guesthouse and friends' beds there really isn't a lot of difference between very expensive and almost bottom of the line.

Tell that to my hips and back, you can tell them roughly every 1.5 hours when I wake up in pain in just about any bed that isn't mine. 

And if a bed is disturbingly soft it's usually not the fault of the mattress as there usually is too much give in whatever the mattress is sitting on.

This is why as well as a good mattress we have a good bed too, it's made from reclaimed ships timbers and held together with coach bolts. 

After being bombarded by adverts I finally broke and ordered an Emma mattress, it was on sale and we got a king-size for about £400. I normally spend between £1500 and £2000 for a mattress so I was sceptical to say the least. 

Had to leave it in the back room for a week for the chemical smell to dissipate and for the first 3 or 4 days it felt very strange but after those first few days it became very comfortable and where I would wake every 1.5 hours in pain from my hip and have to roll on to the other side just to wake again in 1.5 hours to roll back I have had zero hip pain since buying it and a massive reduction in back pain too. 

Of course the law of sod says that now I can sleep through the night pain free it's time to start getting up at 4am to empty the bladder. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...