Marmite empty or full non standard jars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 05 May 2021

For a home art/ornament/decoration project. Does anyone by chance have any spare (empty is fine) Marmite jars in 500g, 125g and 70g (the ridiculous tiny one for air travel!)? The factory is only producing standard 250g at the moment (I asked Unilever and received a reply from a “Marmite ambassador” called Arielle who I suspect is a sophisticated AI.

Here is what I have so far, but I don’t think the toast rack really belongs there 

gravy 05 May 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I suspect I have a marmite egg cup that came with a marmite easter egg a few years ago... Also have a 500g and a 250g "hypnotic" promotional jar lurking in my jam jar cupboard.

Post edited at 21:21
In reply to gravy:

Seriously would you sell that to me? As you can see there is a collection going on here 

And were there really Marmite Easter eggs?! 

gravy 05 May 2021

Yours free - email me.

Sadly the easter eggs were ordinary chocolate...

In reply to gravy:

Thanks! Message sent. And ambitious bid placed on auction site for Marmite teapot! 

MG 05 May 2021

There is a catering size which is between your top two but it is a tub, not marmite shaped.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmite-Spread-600g-Tub/dp/B005D50WD2/ref=asc_df_B...

Post edited at 21:35
 Tom Valentine 05 May 2021

I had a Marmite teapot and matching mug in my little campervan, all gone now. The teapot was fine but the mug was awkward to drink out of.

Had the easter egg and it was yuk. At the moment my favourite product is Marmite rice cakes. very very moreish and fairly mild so a good introduction to the product.

In reply to MG:

Thanks, yes I had seen those and they don't fit any aesthetic, although I support their existence!

In reply to Tom Valentine:

Same mug as in my pic? I find it OK but I know that the "Marmite" shape making the body bulge out into the handle could be awkward for some (not me, I have dainty fingers)

In reply to gravy:

> . Also have a 500g ...lurking in my jam jar cupboard.

That's an exciting edit (no interest in the hypnotic 250g though)....

seriously I visited nine different supermarkets in search of 125g. Waitrose suggested they would have them i.e. there was a shelf slot and pricing, but they were bereft of all Marmite - then the next day they had restocked ONLY WITH 250g which was when I contacted Unilever....

Tom Valentine 05 May 2021

Yes. I never got the technique right for using it. As to current supplies I am struggling to find any blue top low salt. I find it as tasty as the normal one and feel a bit holier for eating it but supplies seem to have dried up. It would clash a bit with your collection, though.

skog 05 May 2021

I have a half-used 500g one 'in progress' on the kitchen table just now.

It isn't pristine, though - there's a wee bit of a marmite stain on the front label and the top label is torn open. And it's half-full.

If it's still of use pm me your address and I'll post it, free of charge in recognition of the magnificence of your project.

LastBoyScout 05 May 2021

I've got a few Marmite jars and bits, but I'm a fan too, so you can't have them

LastBoyScout 05 May 2021

I've got an old Marmite mug somewhere in a box - it's red and has "HIS MATE MY MATE SHIP MATE <ETC> MARMITE" all round it.

In reply to skog:

Ooh! That's in better nick than the one that gravy is generously giving me (alongside the awesome egg cup), which has some minor tears on the front label. A Marmite stain is minor (and of course the lid label will be torn from opening! I'll take that, maybe you should eat some more though or even decant the contents?!  

In reply to LastBoyScout:

Is that the older graphic? No yellow and green? 

skog 05 May 2021

Ok, attempted overnight decanting in progress!

Have you got the Lynx Africa/Marmite deodorant?

In reply to skog:

I can't see that working! I'd spoon it out as much as possible with a hot spoon (just immerse the spoon in boiling water, like you might do for honey) but let us know how you get on. Surely this is like that Pitch drop experiment?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25441-longest-experiment-sees-pitch-...

skog 05 May 2021

Heh! It is actually working, but I think it'll take a day or so...

LastBoyScout 05 May 2021

This one: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/collectable-mate-whose-mate-marmite-...

And no, I haven't got the deodorant!

Also got a Marmite jar with "Daddy" on it - one of the special editions they did.

Nice but not for my collection!

The deodorant actually does have a faint whiff of Marmite mixed into it. Given that Lynx Africa is a bit manky already, this would explain why Wilko has a stockpile of it that they can't get rid of at half price. 

This is UKC at its best! 

> Yes. I never got the technique right for using it. 

I had a Bertie Bassett mug that was far worse. It was his grinning face, and the "cheeks" puffed out too much and they stupidly put a "square" handle on it which closed the gap between handle and mug body in a ridiculous way. It was unusable even for me. 

Niall_H 06 May 2021

I've got a 125g one that you can have - message me if you'd like it!

In reply to Niall_H:

Hurrah! Will message in the morning 

George Ormerod 06 May 2021

Strangely, I don’t know if I really like or really hate your marmite jar collection…….

In reply to George Ormerod:

I don’t know if I love your work here or hate it! 😃

Michael Hood 06 May 2021

Got to ask, what's the doll on the big marmite jar, any marmite connection?

Toby_W 06 May 2021

I love you guys, what a top bunch.  You’ve made my day.  Look forward to a snap of the complete work.

Toby

Sam W 06 May 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Great thread. Bit of trivia, if you stir Marmite for a few minutes it turns white, but retains its delicious flavour

Tom Valentine 06 May 2021
In reply to Sam W:

I was very disappointed to read Marmite's description of their XO spread on the website just now: it just says that it has been matured for four times longer. I'm positive that a previous description made reference to the fact that it was made purely with beer yeast residue and wasn't tainted by the leftovers from any of that foreign poncey lager stuff which is a partial constituent of the yellow top. 

In reply to Michael Hood:

No Marmite connection, I was clearing my mantelpiece for the Marmite display and it seemed rude to move her as she had only recently been out there. It’s Fujiko Mine, the enigmatic lady rival thief from the long running Lupin III manga/anime 

Toerag 06 May 2021
In reply to Sam W:

> Great thread. Bit of trivia, if you stir Marmite for a few minutes it turns white, but retains its delicious flavour

Like a marmite version of set honey?

owlart 06 May 2021

I'd have to double-check when I get home, but I think I have a 125g jar and one or two individual serving containers pinched from a hotel at some point.

Timmd 06 May 2021

That's an excellent display, I'm on the fence with Marmite, but it's very cool. 

MG 06 May 2021
In reply to Timmd:

>  I'm on the fence with Marmite, 

WHAT!!!!?

Timmd 06 May 2021
In reply to MG:

I know, I always have been odd.  

Post edited at 14:57
In reply to owlart:

Thanks, it looks like Niall H is sorting me with the 125g. Are the individual ones the peel-top plastic ones that are almost heart shaped? Not really after those; there is a 70g tiny tiny pot (like the classic Marmite jar shape) that I am after. Cheers  

In reply to Timmd:

> That's an excellent display, I'm on the fence with Marmite, but it's very cool. 

Thanks! 

owlart 06 May 2021

> Thanks, it looks like Niall H is sorting me with the 125g. Are the individual ones the peel-top plastic ones that are almost heart shaped? Not really after those; there is a 70g tiny tiny pot (like the classic Marmite jar shape) that I am after. Cheers  

Yes, they're the ones. No Marmite at all in my local supermarket this evening. I might have to break my "only shop once a week" rule and hunt some down as I'm running out and have it for lunch every day!

On the Marmite-gimmick front though, I do have a Marmite lunch box in the shape of a slice of bread which you're welcome to if you want!

Removed User 06 May 2021

“Marmite Ambassador” sounds like a euphemism for something a bit sinister...

In reply to owlart:

> On the Marmite-gimmick front though, I do have a Marmite lunch box in the shape of a slice of bread which you're welcome to if you want!

Well I wasn’t planning it, this was meant to be just “mantelpiece Marmite shaped Marmite jars” but that sounds fantastic actually! If it is really going spare I’ll take it! Thanks. Will send you a message tmrw 

In reply to Removed UserOl’ Lardy Punter:

> “Marmite Ambassador” sounds like a euphemism for something a bit sinister...

You should see “Arielle’s” profile pic 

im off 07 May 2021

You know about marmite Deodorant????

Bit wierd but.... 

owlart 07 May 2021

Don't think it's going spare, it looks quite calm from here!

Send me your address and I'll pop it over to you.

Edited to add: It's this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmite-Sandwich-Box-NG4005/dp/B001KC2TTW

Post edited at 14:45
In reply to im off:

> You know about marmite Deodorant????

> Bit wierd but.... 

I have some, it is Lynx Africa/Marmite, and unless there is a placebo effect going on, it really does seem to have a small essence of Marmite in it! I say "placebo" as it is written on the can that there is a blended aroma of Marmite...

im off 07 May 2021

Of course you do. 😂

In reply to im off:

They were selling loads of it off cheap in Wilko, it looked like it was 25p but it turned out to be £1.50, good job I only got one instead of a trolley full. Especially as it may or may not have an aroma of Marmite  

New arrivals, new options. Thanks gravy and Niall H. 

skog is sending a 500g in better nick, owlart is sending a sandwich case, and I “won” a teapot on the auction site whose name seems to close the browser and lose your whole message when you type it 😃

freeflyer 07 May 2021
In reply to owlart:

> Yes, they're the ones. No Marmite at all in my local supermarket this evening. I might have to break my "only shop once a week" rule and hunt some down as I'm running out and have it for lunch every day!

There's a planetary shortage locally here as well. Not sure why but I have my suspicions ...

The only supply I could get was a work of the devil:

In reply to freeflyer:

> There's a planetary shortage locally here as well. Not sure why but I have my suspicions ...

With pubs having reopened, there will be more Marmite production 

In reply to freeflyer:

Incidentally there are loads of standard 250g jars in the shops around me! 

BusyLizzie 07 May 2021

Having read your thread this morning, I happened to have a little look in the bric-a-brac shop down the road this afternoon, open for the first time for ages ... and was startled by a large Marmite jar, which seemed like a funny coincidence. It looks plastic, costs £8, and is about 6" tall. If you want it I will buy it and post it to you, but it may be you already have that size.

In reply to BusyLizzie:

Sounds like the jigsaw. Is it the jigsaw? 

Packaging measures: 6.5 x 9 x 2cm

https://gibsonsgames.co.uk/products/marmite-500-piece-jigsaw-puzzle

If not, then I am intrigued! (see edit)

If it is the jigsaw, no thanks, one will do and I have it and have done it and mounted it as a glass sandwich :o 

Cheers

edit - I will rephrase that. If it is not the plastic container for the jigsaw that I already have, please let me know what it is and I'll likely take you up on the offer, as long as it is the standard Marmite livery like in my pics. Many thanks. 

Post edited at 22:09
 Maggot 08 May 2021

Have you got one of these?

https://shepherdminiatures.com/product/marmite/

In reply to Maggot:

That is splendid! I had seen some earrings on Etsy and then learned about the 70g jars. I'll bear the miniature in mind. £3.50 postage on a tiny thing that costs less than £3 is a bit daft though! Cheers

freeflyer 08 May 2021

> Incidentally there are loads of standard 250g jars in the shops around me! 

I totally believe you

Probably you are right about production. And I am moderately jealous of your collection, especially as you've stuck to the core design, and haven't branched out into whirly circles and the wrong colour label etc.

ff

Edit: you know you are going to need the mini one though.

Post edited at 13:43

I have a half full 70g jar which I'm willing to post to you in exchange for a suitable donation to Mountain Rescue.

In reply to freeflyer:

>especially as you've stuck to the core design, and haven't branched out into whirly circles and the wrong colour label etc.

I love this core design, I am not a graphic designer but it seems "iconic" to me. Not quite timeless as there were different earlier ones. 

Tiny bit of OCD "upset" is that the jigsaw says "Contains B Vitamins" and all the jars, cup, eggcup, toast rack and teapot (and even the "b side" of the jigsaw with the Warhol-esque design) all say "Rich in B Vitamins", and some say "100% Vegetarian" and some say "Vegan Spread" but I won't obsess over it. 
Yes I know I need that miniature one thanks for flagging it up

balmybaldwin 08 May 2021

I have a 125g jar, however its still 80% full which means I can send it to you in a bout a year.

I'm one of those few people who quite like it

In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks! I am good on the 125g front. It's nearly finished, indeed technically the original project is only lacking the 70g pot, although I am now getting a sandwich case (thanks owlart) and a teapot and maybe that doll's house miniature mentioned upthread. 

Two deliveries just now, teapot and sandwich case (thanks owlart for the latter, and also the additional 125g pot!)

Dave Garnett 12 May 2021
In reply to all:

Just when I thought UKC couldn't get any weirder!

It's weird in a rather wonderful way though.

In reply to Dave Garnett:

the “Challenge Anneka” aspect of loads of people helping out, was a splendid surprise! 

Michael Hood 12 May 2021

Don't know what family you have, but this really gives them an opportunity to take the piss 😁

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing it with us all - useful in case I want/need to show family that there are people out there even sadder than me.

Just thought of something - Marmite sometimes is and sometimes isn't kosher - maybe they do special supervised batches at times - at other times "kosher" Jews who needed marmite had to make do with imports from Australia IIRC - where it was still kosher for some reason.

Haven't got any jars of this at the moment but if I do see a kosher jar (either foreign or with kosher labelling) then I'll be in touch.

Post edited at 11:09
 Michael Hood 12 May 2021

Can you run through the sizes again please, looks like - 500g, teapot, 250g, mug, 125g, eggcup, 70g, minis

> Can you run through the sizes again please, looks like - 500g, teapot, 250g, mug, 125g, eggcup, 70g, minis

Jigsaw, jigsaw plastic container, teapot, 500g, mug, 250g, eggcup, 125g, toast rack.

I don’t have 70g yet 

Michael Hood 12 May 2021

I had the wrong scale there 😁, and didn't realise it was a toast rack - hadn't retained what I'd previously read on the thread - more grey cells gone

wercat 12 May 2021

are you any good with your hands?

If you don't know of Fimo it is a hand mouldable substance that is very useful.  You mould it and then place on an oven tray to bake/harden.  With some lenses and delicate work plus careful painting you could extend your series into the minature world.

https://www.staedtler.com/intl/en/products/fimo-modelling-clay-accessories/

Post edited at 12:13

I wouldn’t put yourself down; this HAS been one of the more confusing threads recently 😃

BusyLizzie 12 May 2021

I haven't forgotten, but it will be either Friday ir next week before I'm able to get to that shop during opening hours.

In reply to BusyLizzie:

No worries! Don't put yourself out, I am pretty sure it's the jigsaw  

In reply to wercat:

Cheers but I am crap at nimble things, plus I was trying for only "official" Marmite stuff  

Si dH 12 May 2021

No idea where you live, but Gillions in Crosby had several 125g jars in stock the other day...

In reply to Si dH:

I now have two 125g jars thanks to this thread! Cheers though. 

DerwentDiluted 12 May 2021

Heres a couple of historic ones, 8oz and 4oz, no labels unfortunately. From a WW1 site.

In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Wow, I didn’t know Marmite went back that far (aside from being the French word for cauldron-shaped pot) 

70g jar still available (less Marmite in it than before!)

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/off_belay/marmite_empty_or_full_non_stand...

In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

Thanks, somehow I had not spotted this! I will send you a message, then the project can have closure  

My mum has a bit of a marmite collection going on... We (maybe just I) presumed it was just her older age related cognitive changes... but now you have made me reevaluate this thought... I'll try and get her to take a picture of her artefacts for your interest.. And she will be very interested to see a picture of your collection.  

In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Oh.. (initially thinking this thread is too random) interesting stuff. I now wonder if there needs to be an official Marmite museum! 

In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

> ... We (maybe just I) presumed it was just her older age related cognitive changes... 

Maybe that is what is happening with me!

freeflyer 15 May 2021

Will you be able to resist?

https://www.she-beadz.co.uk/shebeadz/prod_2606555-Fimo-Marmite-Jar-Charm-Be...

They look good. You could have a little set piece with Mummy jar, Daddy jar, and lots of kiddy jars with one trying to catch up.

Haha...

How can I insert / copy a picture into a message (MacBook). I have a picture of my mums collection and have to share!

Niall_H 15 May 2021

Just above the "Post message" button, there's a Photos box - either drag 'n' drop the photo onto it or use the Upload button to get it from your file system.

To post pictures you need to be a "UKC Supporter" (this was a site fundraising initiative to keep the site alive; you make a monetary donation and one of the rewards is that you can post pictures)

Oh... I guess no-one sees my mums Marmite collection then

Michael Hood 16 May 2021

You can still (I believe) upload photos into your gallery, just not with posts on threads unless you're a UKC Supporter.

> You can still (I believe) upload photos into your gallery, just not with posts on threads unless you're a UKC Supporter.

Yes that sounds right, although uploads into gallery are subject to moderators seeing if they are climbing/outdoors related, I think 

Michael Hood 16 May 2021

Marmite (HS 4a) or maybe even Marmite (S)

I've done one of them, but not the other 😁

Post edited at 08:47

Ooh I will have to do the Stanage one. Possibly accompanied by any surplus pots or even a T shirt if I get one. Cheers 

Hi Vanessa, did you receive my email?

Ooops! Sorry I don't check that email account very often! Yes, I've got it now and will send the jar. Edale MRT is fine.

Ridge 19 May 2021

Is there any truth in the rumour that the flat spot on the sides of the marmite jar is so you can turn it on it's side when nearly empty, to make it easier to put the knife in?

I reckon its just to save shelf space in the supermarket.

In reply to Ridge:

I don’t know, I have never tested it. When a jar is down to the dregs I put boiling water in to dissolve them and add to stock 

> Ooops! Sorry I don't check that email account very often! Yes, I've got it now and will send the jar. Edale MRT is fine.

Thank you! Great, a complete set 

BusyLizzie 21 May 2021

> No worries! Don't put yourself out, I am pretty sure it's the jigsaw

Sorry ... whenever I've been past the shop this week it's been closed. Let's assume jigsaw.

In reply to BusyLizzie:

Ah no worries, thanks. It seems a safe assumption plus I am running out of space for the display 😃

just posting to make this a 100 post thread 😃

bouldery bits 21 May 2021

> This is UKC at its best! 

Yes. Love it or hate it.

freeflyer 22 May 2021
In reply to freeflyer:

I can confirm that the 'work of the devil' in the post I've replied to is worth a go; in fact, it's pretty good, in a Marmite sort of way...

Happy to report that the 70g jar from Vanessa has arrived intact and finally I have made a suitable donation to Edale MRT as thanks for all the help from this thread. 

Photos later! As far as I am concerned, the project is now complete  

> Happy to report that the 70g jar from Vanessa has arrived intact and finally I have made a suitable donation to Edale MRT as thanks for all the help from this thread. 

> Photos later! As far as I am concerned, the project is now complete  

A few different angles and arrangements for your viewing pleasure (or hatred)

Niall_H 25 May 2021

Good one!  It's nice to see the installation in its glory!

skog 25 May 2021

Brilliant!

I'm hungry now...

The shop Wilko is trying to compete using its mountain of unwanted (yet not heavily-enough discounted) Lynx Africa Marmite 

But look! I found reinforcements today! The colouring doesn’t blend in so it will only be a temporary stay, but it’s official merch and a happy find! 

Bottom Clinger 27 May 2021

Just to say that I think your decking needs some creosote judging by the middle framed picture above your mantelpiece. 

Post edited at 23:07
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Well spotted. That is of course period detail in a 1968 movie set in the late 1860s. They may have had creosote back then and just didn’t care... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...