Man's best friend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 11 Nov 2019

Just had to say goodbye to my 16yr old collie.

It really was gut wrenchingly awful, but I am at peace knowing he is now comfortable.

He was the best, the hill walks and bothy trips won't be the same though

RIP Bob. I will miss you mate.

girlymonkey 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Sorry to hear this. Glad he had a good life in the hills and bothies though while he was with you.

Ridge 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Really sorry to hear that, but it sounds like he had a great life.

In reply to Ben_Climber:

> Just had to say goodbye to my 16yr old collie.

> It really was gut wrenchingly awful, but I am at peace knowing he is now comfortable.

> He was the best, the hill walks and bothy trips won't be the same though

> RIP Bob. I will miss you mate.

I feel for you dude.  We lost our dog earlier this year at 14.

He must have had a good run at 16 . You have to keep that in mind always.

Best wishes

TWS

Flinticus 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Really sorry to hear that. I know what you're going through. The loss is like a repeated hammer blow to the soul.

Could I ask that you post a pic of him? Would love to see your awesome dog. You can usually get one in under landscape if there's a nice backdrop.

arch 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

RIP Bob.

Timmd 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I've been sad at the death of friend's dogs that became my friends, it must hurt deeply for their owners.

16 years is a good lifespan for a dog, for an active breed like a Collie which apparently bonds very strongly to one human, going on walks and chilling in bothies with you sounds like an ideal life, let his happiness be what lingers within time.

Post edited at 15:01
Removed User 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

My Retriver has his last resting place in the hill's and my son is a bit put out that Im going to join him by Cyrn Las where we can relive are best walk over Crib Gock on our way to the Horseshoe.  RIP  Bob & Jet

toad 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

It is just the most heartbreaking thing. They dont really ask for much, just your love and companionship. And in return they give you everthing they have. Good hunting, Bob

Removed User 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Sad news indeed. These animals are very much part of the family.

Our last collie was an incredible 18.5 years when we had to take the long walk with him. We scattered  his ashes on the moor.

We had a two year before getting another dog. We've now got our third rescue Border Collie. Mad as a box of frogs.

paddledog 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I feel for you having been there and in the back of my mind knowing it will come again but hopefully not for a few years yet.

The thing is a dog will give you some of the best days of your life - and one of the worst.

No words can really help, remember the good times.

Cheers,

DW

Trevers 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Rest in peace, Bob Sounds like you gave him the best time a dog could have had!

George Ormerod 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Really sorry to hear that.  I never was a dog person until our Husky K2 came into our life.  She's snoring on the sofa after a weekend accompanying me ice climbing and hiking.  Reading this I need to go and give her a good scratch on the tummy.  At least they never have existential crises about their mortality and just enjoy every day as it comes (a good roll in some horse poo and finding the bones of a deer this weekend).

Wainers44 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Sad times, and doing the right thing for your pal is the awful price for the years of joy from having a four legged buddy. Really sorry for you.

Try to get through these darker days with all the memories of the happy ones. I bet there were loads!!!

upordown 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Yes, Bob is comfortable now and it sounds like he had a great life with you. They leave a massive hole in your life and it's always hard to accept how short their lives are in comparison to our own. Try to think of the great times you had together. RIP Bob

Welsh Kate 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Thinking of you. 16 is a good age for a collie, but all those years make the parting harder.

Post edited at 21:43
 marsbar 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Sorry for your loss.  Thinking of you.  

Toby_W 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

We said goodbye to our collie at the start of the year.  Our dependant housemate rather than pet.  I often forgot he did not really understand everything I said because for the most part he acted and behaved as if he did!

We often use the phrase, be like dog, meaning live in the now man.

He’s buried in the garden in the newly named Pipnic spot and we all miss him.

Toby

OP Ben_Climber 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Thanks for all the messages folks.

So nice to hear all the other stories of climbing pooches.

Flinticus, I have tried to upload a photo, fingers crossed it gets cleared.

Arch, thank you for this, how very true it is.

Ben

Yanis Nayu 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Ah, sad to hear that. Enjoy the memories of the good times you had with him. 

The Lemming 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your best friend.

Flinticus 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

What a great looking boy! Lovely pic - god damn what's this stuff running down my face?

jkarran 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Sorry, it's the day we all dread when we take a dog into our lives. All we can do is make their life and eventually their death as good as possible, enjoy every moment then cherish the memories.

jk

marsbar 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Lovely picture.

Timmd 15 Nov 2019
In reply to George Ormerod:

> At least they never have existential crises about their mortality and just enjoy every day as it comes (a good roll in some horse poo and finding the bones of a deer this weekend).

Dogs can be a good example of how to embrace life I think, along the lines of 'Hey great, it's another day.'

Post edited at 14:41
 ThunderCat 15 Nov 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

After a very long and happy life, we had to put our old girl down several years ago and it hit me harder than anything, to the point where I don't really want to have a dog ever again.

I'll guarantee there are a lot of people on here now who are feeling your pain, and are right now having a bit of a smile over their own memories of a long lost pal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...