Manchester airport relief road

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon 03 Oct 2019

Does it exist? ViaMichelin gives me a route (Ashbourne > Leek > Macclesfield > airport) as taking it for the last couple of miles, just after Handforth. Google, on the other hand, suggests that the section I need isn't finished... Anyone any ideas on this? Or indeed, other suggestions?

Thanks

TobyA 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Yeah - at least as long as its the one I'm think of. I use it all the time now and never need to go over Snake Pass. I think it opened about a year ago.

steveriley 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Quiet and shiny new. Watch the speed signs - feels like a 60/70 road but isn't always

galpinos 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Yes. I think your google is out of date.......

(It's the A555, it does change colour on google maps after the A34 roundabout (west))

OP jon 03 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

The one I'm thinking of is right next to Manchester airport. Snake pass is east of Glossop... so I'm not sure I understand??

OP jon 03 Oct 2019
In reply to galpinos:

OK thanks. 

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

I can double-check on my sat nav if in a wee while you want - it is just 'updating' so should be current,

Chris

JLS 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

I used the new section of A555 between the A34 and A6 last week.

As the other poster suggested it seems to be a quicker way than Snake Pass to get from Scotland/Cumbria (M6) to the Peak.

I can't say whether the section between the airport and the A34 is open.

OP jon 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Chris Craggs:

It's strange - on google, when I click on the little yellow chap for street view, there's a kilometre or so of the road that doesn't show as blue, and the satelite view looks like it's under construction. As Galpinos says, it must be out of date...

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

There is usually a date when the image was taken at the bottom of the screen,

Chris

Lusk 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Check it isn't flooded, happens if it just drizzles! (slight exaggeration)
It's a 21st century road engineering masterpiece!

CPH 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

It definitely exists. The trip from Stoney Middleton to Pen Trwyn is much easier...misses out Stockport completely.

mrphilipoldham 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Yes it's open and a delight to drive on.. usually completely empty! You'd think it'd save loads of time over going through Stockport but it strangely doesn't.. I think the High Lane A6 traffic adds on what you'd save otherwise. As said above, avoid after rain unless you've got a decent under seal.

OP jon 03 Oct 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> avoid after rain unless you've got a decent under seal.

Rental car...

Dave Garnett 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Have you got time for a beer while you're here?!

TobyA 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Sorry - I'm in south Sheffield (well now, just over the border in Derbyshire) but to get to either N Wales or much of the Lakes, Google tells me to go over to Manchester, then over to the A55 for Wales or M6 for the Lakes. This always used to mean Snake Pass, but now, I go via Stoney Middleton and that road that links up with the new airport relief road to get on to the M56. This misses the Glossop traffic jams and, if going west, the M60 completely which can be super busy.

Early mornings going winter climbing the road over from Stoney is less likely to be snowy/icy than Snake Pass too which is another advantage.

OP jon 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I'll pm you.

robert-hutton 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

It's open but the highway department are keeping it  a secret, NO signage coming from the west on M60 and easy to end up in airport departure lane. 

But does take a fare chunk of time off going to North Wales 

yorkshire_lad2 04 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Yes, I took a visitor to the airport in July from Bakewell to the airport, and I thought the last bit was going to be all wiggly and tortuous and we got onto this shiny new road (I think this is what you're talking about).  Fortunately, I'd just updated my TomTom satnav (haven't yet migrated to google maps on phone but heading that way soon) and the TomTom had the new road, but the onboard (Peugoet, old, never updated) sat nav was having a wobbly, thought I was driving through a field   Road was a delight to drive and since I'm not a regular I can't compare how much time it saves, but it was very pleasant to drive.  And goes straight into the back of the airport, no fuss.  Worked perfect for me that day.  I also liked the new free drop-off area (https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/parking/pick-up-and-drop-off/), but don't get me started on Manchester introducing drop-off charges at the terminal door.....

OP jon 04 Oct 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Brilliant, thanks everyone.

In reply to jon:

As echoed above; it's open but can flood

FYI we find Waze much better than google maps; more up to date and better traffic planning

mrphilipoldham 04 Oct 2019
In reply to get to the punchline:

Don't Google own Waze? I'd have assumed it was all the same data.

mullermn 04 Oct 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

They’ve owned it for years but they’re still quite distinct for some reason. They will give you different routes and different etas for the same journey. 

mrphilipoldham 04 Oct 2019
In reply to mullermn:

Interesting! I was always a fan of Waze but never used Google Maps for driving.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...