Manchester Airport accommodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oceanrower 16 May 2019

Hi all. After some recommendations.

I'm flying to America next week (well, if Thomas Cook haven't gone bust by then!) and, unfortunately, I have to go from Manchester. Nothing against the place but I'm in Surrey and the flight's at 9am!

Anyone got any suggestions for a cheap hotel within trotting distance of the airport and/or railway station for the night before?

TIA.

lithos 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

we've use the manchester airport branch of Britannia clean and tidy and boxy and basic,  does a taxi service for about 6 quid pp, parking deals were why we used them (appreciate you may not be driving) used to go to a little thai place about a mile up the road as well which was part of the fun, but it was closed last time we were there.

https://www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/the-britannia-airport-hotel-manchest...

tjdodd 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

I always use the Hilton.  Probably not the cheapest, but reasonable and quick walk from the train station.  Then free transfer to the terminal in the morning.

Dark-Cloud 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

How cheap ? The Clayton is what we use for business travel, its near the train station and walking distance to the terminals, can get a deal which includes parking too:

https://www.claytonhotelmanchesterairport.com/

Ridge 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

We've used the accomodation block at the Bulls Head in Hale Barns a couple of times. OK accomodation wise but there are a few pubs and restaurants in walking distance. About 2.5 miles from the airport. Park at hotel overnight and drive to airport parking in the morning.

neilh 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Is your train direct to the airport form Surry. Or do you go int Manchester first?

OP Oceanrower 16 May 2019
In reply to neilh:

Thanks for the replies so far. Either really. From Guildford I can go to Manchester Picadilly via Reading. If I go to the airport direct it's a bit more complicated. Into Waterloo, bus to Euston and go from there. Only trouble with Picadilly is I need to be at the airport for 05:30(ish).

profitofdoom 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

NOT cheap, so sorry about that, but for early flights I like the Radisson Blu at Manchester airport - especially for Terminal 2, to which you can walk in about 3 minutes from the hotel

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

As above we use the Clayton, walking distance from the railway station and the airport, so no chuffing about with taxis. Good Irish breakfast included, Sherri tells me booker in advance it is about £60/70, and to try Holiday Extras where you might get a discounted rate.

Pricey but a nice way to start a trip,

Chris

Post edited at 15:17
 Phil1919 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Sounds like a high carbon trip to me : (

mrphilipoldham 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Trains start at 3:43am, and take about 13 minutes.

In reply to Phil1919:

This is my first foreign trip in 7 years so bollocks to the carbon!

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Between Manchester and the airport? That's good to know. Thanks.

In reply to Oceanrower:

Yes, every 30 minutes until about 5 when they become more regular I think. Buses run all night as back up!

In reply to Phil1919:

It's ok, it's a scheduled flight so it's going whether I'm on it or not, etc etc  

neilh 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

You could try some of the city centre hotels and then go on an early doors train. 

But with those times you are better at hotel the airport. 

Try jury’s inn. There is a holiday express inn nearby. 

Remover  the old trick of avoiding taxis by catching the hotel shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel so when you get to the airport train station you can always do that . Just make sure hotels do an early morning run

summo 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

The holiday inn express on the other side of the airport charge extra for airport transfer, can't remember how much. 

You'll likely miss breakfast at that time, so if you look on the usual search sites for room only, pre paid, you might find a bargain in walking distance. 

summo 16 May 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

> Sounds like a high carbon trip to me : (

Wouldn't worry, Trumps green agenda is on the horizon. Start ww3, send us back to the stone age after a nuclear winter. Job done.

Perhaps he's flying to LA to meet Emma Thompson? She did fly home after Easter didn't she? 

Ps. Easy jet sale starts today.. you know you want to... we'd never know. 

Post edited at 16:26
 ThunderCat 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

There;s a hotel in Northenden (about 6 miles from the airport) called "The Airport Hotel".

Avoid it.  No idea why it's called that - it;s nowhere near it.  It does not get very good reviews either.

Phil1919 16 May 2019
In reply to summo:

:  )

I saw a discussion about tackling difficult conversations. I should have gone along.

cander 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Can I just ask how much cheaper is the flight from Manchester than the one from Gatwick or Heathrow, because the ball-ache and cost of travelling up the country had better be worth it!

In reply to cander:

You're right, it's a ball ache but it's not my choice. I won a poker tourney so I get to spend a week in Vegas playing another couple of tournaments. Flights, hotel and transfers, entries etc. everything paid!

Unfortunately, if flies from Manchester but that's a small price to pay. It's that or don't go!

cander 16 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

I played poker once in 1979 - they took all my dole money off me and I’ve never gambled again. Probably the best £50 I ever spent.

Phil1919 17 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

I wouldn't go. Just because its free? Sounds like a nightmare trip.

john arran 17 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

If I were you I would take the free flights and accommodation and spend the entire time climbing at Red Rocks instead of playing poker. Or maybe you could strategically get yourself knocked out in the first round?

Gone for good 17 May 2019
In reply to cander:

> I played poker once in 1979 - they took all my dole money off me and I’ve never gambled again. Probably the best £50 I ever spent.

£50 dole money in 79? It's a wonder half the country weren't claiming......

OP Oceanrower 18 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

All done. Britannia hotel in the end. Thank you all for the advice (Except, perhaps, Clint86!).

Phil1919 18 May 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Have a good trip!

cander 19 May 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

Two weeks at once - I think it was £27 a week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...