Machloop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 21 Jun 2022

I managed to visit last week after years of wanting to go and it did not disappoint.

We were very lucky and had a C130, 2 Ospreys and a couple of F15s all in about a 5hr window.

Big kid moment

Post edited at 14:25
 Hiking_Dad 21 Jun 2022
In reply to Ben_Climber:

My daughter wants to be a pilot someday and would love to take her.  Where exactly did you go, what time, where did you park, etc?

Thanks,

Chris

OP Ben_Climber 22 Jun 2022
In reply to Hiking_Dad:

We parked at Cad West, there is a big layby for 20ish cars and about a 15min walk up the hill.

https://machloop.co.uk/ This has plenty of good info on access and locations.

In terms of spotting aircraft, it is pretty random. They only use the loop Mon-Fri and the MOD low flying schedule has no resemblance to what actually happens. It is very much a case of take some snacks, a flask and go and sit and wait.

Clear weather will increase your chances, as will bad weather in the Lakes or Scotland.

You can also use 360Radar or https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ to track what is about. Just hit the military filter to get rid of all the commercial stuff.

I think the Hawks and Texans from RAF Valley are probably the most common. The F15s and F35s will come from Norfolk, so you can keep an eye on that area with the tracker.

Hope that helps and you get to visit

Myfyr Tomos 22 Jun 2022
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Yes, this has the easiest parking and access. Can get very crowded though if any "rare and exotic summer visitors" are forecast.

Something to keep in mind is that the proper name for"Cad East" and "Cad West" is Bwlch Llyn Bach, - The Pass of the Little Pool, also known locally as Bwlch Talyllyn.

Have fun.

David Alcock 23 Jun 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

My inner kid wants to go, and my po-faced grown-up tells me not to be childish. I'll probably go.

(Ps, I sent you a dm about Wern Cyfrdwy a few weeks back - perhaps you didn't see it.) 

Myfyr Tomos 23 Jun 2022
In reply to David Alcock:

No, sorry.  Will be in touch.

David Alcock 23 Jun 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

I've sent you an email. 

Myfyr Tomos 24 Jun 2022
In reply to David Alcock:

Morning David. Still no luck I'm afraid. Will try "the other way round" now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...