Lower back pain/mobility

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ben1234 19 Mar 2023

Evening all. After doing my back at the gym again yesterday with a suspected disc bulge (waiting to see physio this week) I think this is all down to very poor flexibility and mobility, particularly in my lower back. I have decided to do something about it but am faced with a plethora of yoga videos and other training programmes online I don't know where to start so looking for some recommendations. Ideally I would like some kind of program to follow (happy to pay) rather than random YouTube videos. 

Many thanks!

elsewhere 19 Mar 2023
In reply to ben1234:

After injury, I found this video almost miraculous, I could start feeling barely mobile and 30 mins later feeling almost normal.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-fitness-studio/chronic-back-pain-pilates-...

OP ben1234 20 Mar 2023
In reply to elsewhere:

Thanks. I did that last night and feeling much more mobile today.

freeflyer 20 Mar 2023
In reply to ben1234:

Another vote for pilates, which fixed a particularly pernicious neck issue for me a couple of years ago after an osteopath had failed. My previous physio (excellent but now a long way away) was always on at me to do it, and eventually I have got around to it.

I do a weekly beginner/improver class; the exercises are always pretty similar but the class keeps me on a regular program.

Also for short term improvement, OTC Voltarol cream is pretty indispensable. You used to be able to get prescription slow release diclofenac pills which were miraculous, but the doc won't prescribe them anymore as there's an increased chance of death, apparently. So I get them on visits to Bulgaria, lol, but having said that I haven't used them for a few years as the topical cream works well.

ff

Forest Dump 20 Mar 2023
In reply to ben1234:

I know it's you tube but Lottie Murphy has loads of classes and progression pilate work outs on her channel.  Having worked with a physio on back problems there's not much difference between what he's telling me to do, and what Lottie's stuff covers off.

Her stuff also has the advantage of being a little more, ahem, engaging than printed out black and white sheets of exercises

Andypeak 21 Mar 2023
In reply to ben1234:

My advice would be to find a good private physio (the NHS ones just seem to want to get you back to a position where you can do an office job). 

compost 21 Mar 2023
In reply to ben1234:

This is brilliant (I got it 'on sale' at £30) https://tommorrison.uk/products/the-simplistic-mobility-method

jonfun21 21 Mar 2023
In reply to ben1234:

18 months ago I kept getting injured and hurting my back (days in bed etc). Having tried a physio I went to see a strength and conditioning coach, he said I had basically run/swam/biked myself to oblivion and effectively had no core strength.

He has worked with me on a gym strengthening programme - crucially he checks I am doing the exercises correctly, body position etc which is hard to do via video stuff 

I hate going to the gym but the difference has been transformational to a point where I am largely pain free (I also do a set of stretches twice a day, everyday)

I still see a physio as I have a neck issue - but there is a tendency to “treat” rather than “help prevent” hence adding the S&C coach gives the right mix 

hope things improve for you 

PaulW 21 Mar 2023
In reply to ben1234:

This guy is the best i have ever come across. Very precise and knowledgeable. Not cheap but luckily for me he does classes at my local gym. Been free of back pain for half a dozen years now.

https://www.centreofbalance.co.uk/

Bob Kemp 21 Mar 2023
In reply to freeflyer:

Diclofenac is deprecated these days because it’s has been implicated in heart problems. To be avoided for people who already have heart problems or any of the significant risk factors. Gels and creams are ok though. Info here:

https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/diclofenac-new-contraindications-and-...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...