London Marathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john arran 28 Apr 2019

On a typical working day, how easy would it be to get around the London Marathon course (legally) in under 2 hours ...

... on a bike?

subtle 28 Apr 2019
In reply to john arran:

What type of bike?

Any gears on the bike?

Assuming no punctures?

OP john arran 28 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

Details, details. No engine/motor, but apart from that it's up to you.

bouldery bits 28 Apr 2019
In reply to john arran:

3am on a Wednesday? Easy.  

subtle 28 Apr 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

> 3am on a Wednesday? Easy.  

That may be possible, on the typical working day I would imagine it's impossible to complete the course in under 2 hours legally - but it may be worth a UKC challenge?

malk 29 Apr 2019
In reply to john arran:

as an aside, it was good to see Sir Mo thrashed after his recent outburst and subsequent revelations. British Athletics appear to be lying...

https://swiftgirlathletics.wordpress.com/2019/04/26/a-not-so-brief-history-...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/ewan-mackenna-mo-fa...

Post edited at 18:12
 Pedro50 29 Apr 2019
In reply to malk:

Agreed. Mo "nice but dim" is not quite in Lance's class in the rebuttal skills. 

Post edited at 21:59
 subtle 30 Apr 2019
In reply to malk:

> as an aside, it was good to see Sir Mo thrashed after his recent outburst and subsequent revelations. British Athletics appear to be lying...

Thank you for that post - I took my time reading the two links and enjoyed them.

I know which camp I'm in when it comes to Mo, and Paula as well actually.

nufkin 30 Apr 2019
In reply to john arran:

Interesting idea - you happen to know of a link to an official route map? 

In reply to subtle:

> Thank you for that post - I took my time reading the two links and enjoyed them.

> I know which camp I'm in when it comes to Mo, and Paula as well actually.

I enjoyed the articles too. The independent one is very telling. Perhaps its time for a bit more scrutiny, public scrutiny, of Mo and Radcliffe and if they aren't prepared to be honest and answer direct questions then their records should be annulled. If Seb Coe cant show 100% openness he should be removed.

I f*cking hate cheating in sport, especially from those who profess to be whiter than white.

Post edited at 10:01
In reply to Pedro50:

Given what's there, not so nice either.

Michael Hood 30 Apr 2019
In reply to malk:

Oops

Looks like there are some questions to be answered (or brushed under the carpet)

Elite sport is now big money, that results in big pressures to perform. It also means that the lines between clean, technically clean but morally dodgy, technically dodgy, and clear cheating are in practice, very blurred.

Not sure there's anything we can do about it except become more and more cynical

Michael Hood 30 Apr 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I think the hypocrisy is the worst bit.

It's quite refreshing to hear the one or two who basically just say, tried to keep up, cheated, got caught.

In reply to Michael Hood:

> I think the hypocrisy is the worst bit.

> It's quite refreshing to hear the one or two who basically just say, tried to keep up, cheated, got caught.

Nice to know some are getting caught at least

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Nice to know some are getting caught at least

But how many are still getting away with it, perhaps Mo included.

Yanis Nayu 30 Apr 2019
In reply to malk:

Both of those athletes attract a lot of suspicion from non-Brits, PR for blood passport anomalies and how incredible her performances and MF for a multitude of reasons. I’m deeply suspicious of Farah in particular. 

wbo 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:her performance s weren't very incredible for a very talented former junior world champion with what turned out to be a dangerously high work ethic.  They're only incredible if you have no context.  But we've argued over this before

fred99 30 Apr 2019
In reply to wbo:

And note that she didn't live and train in Bedford, but Switzerland - at altitude.

lorentz 30 Apr 2019
In reply to john arran:

> On a typical working day, how easy would it be to get around the London Marathon course (legally) in under 2 hours ...

> ... on a bike?

It's not quite possible to ride the exact and entire route... legally. The bit where it goes around the cutty sark is pedestrianised  if I remember correctly, and I think there are other bits where it goes against normal one-way flow in the Rotherhithe/Canada water area. You can get pretty close approximation to actual route most of the way though. The traffic can be pretty horrendous even filtering on two wheels at times though!

birdie num num 30 Apr 2019
In reply to lorentz:

If you ding your bell, it gives folk on the pavements a chance to dive out of your way

The New NickB 30 Apr 2019
In reply to fred99:

> And note that she didn't live and train in Bedford, but Switzerland - at altitude.

France, but you point still stands.

I think wbo is bang on the money, a hugely talented athlete trained to within an inch of destruction, which gave her a two year window of brilliant performances, but ultimately led to long term injury problems and retirement.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...