Lockdown level logic?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marsbar 12 Oct 2020

Can anyone explain to me why Nottingham is tier 2 and not tier 3.

It appears to have the highest rate in the country.

Si dH 12 Oct 2020
In reply to marsbar:

It's relatively localised. If you look at the spread of areas with high numbers of cases in the PHE map (below, from the Covid dashboard) the difference in Merseyside and, to a slightly lesser extent, Greater Manchester, is stark. I'm not saying Nottingham is in a good place but it's currently nothing like as bad.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=47574f7a6e454dc6a42c...

Post edited at 22:06
mick taylor 12 Oct 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I can explain. The level of tier isn’t just based on infection rates, it includes things like how able the hospitals are to cope etc. Liverpool hospitals are starting to creak, Nottingham’s aren’t. And the vulnerability of those catching it. 

Si dH 13 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Yes, in addition to the point I made, you are right. The rates of virus transmission in older groups and rates of hospitalisation in Liverpool are both up substantially. 

All of these factors basically stem from the fact that the virus has been here at significant levels and spreading in the community for several weeks longer than areas like Nottingham. Rates have been in the highest categories for several weeks now even in areas away from the city centre and containing no students.

gravy 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Si dH:

It's partially the success of bullshit spin claiming that Nottingham tests more than other places so the spike is artificially inflated by it's superior testing because it has a test centre on campus. Wait a week.

OP marsbar 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Si dH and mick taylor

Thanks makes sense.  

OP marsbar 13 Oct 2020
In reply to gravy:

I know Nottingham does or did come up as a statistical anomaly in gun crime due to the small number of residents in the city and the suburbs coming under the county.  

LeeWood 13 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

... or maybe the level of lockdown corresponds to anti-vax surveys  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...